Hyper-V and FreeBSD

By looking at the page, I'd say that the person doesn't know that much about FreeBSD.

# cd /usr

Nope. The proper directory is /usr/src.

Kernels should be linked in /root/kernels.

# cd /usr/freebsd
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=HYPERV_VM

Again, this is wrong.

No way that I'd follow this person's advice for anything on FreeBSD.

I think this is the main development repository for the FreeBSD Hyper-V drivers:
https://github.com/FreeBSDonHyper-V/freebsd-head

I'm really looking forward to trying this out when it's ready.

sossego said:
No way that I'd follow this person's advice for anything on FreeBSD.

Maybe you could drop him a line and suggest some fixes for adhering to the FreeBSD guidelines? I'd like to see this project succeed -- not just because I want to use it, but also because it'll provide some nice exposure for FreeBSD in the enterprise space (always a good thing).

I think this is for FreeBSD 8.3. Are there plans to support Hyper-V on FreeBSD 9.1 in the near future, like the support of 'native' SCSI drivers?

Thank you.

There is no email for properly replying.
I'd have to sign up and I do not know what the project's policy is.

Any news about the current developments on this? I would like to have my network gigabit virtual switch driver supported[red] !!!![/red]. (Now using the legacy driver, but only 100[ ]Mbits.)

Hi there.

Any news about these drivers? I want to have some webservers and firewalls like on VMware ESXi. Will they come with FreeBSD 10?

jackp said:
I think this is the main development repository for the FreeBSD Hyper-V drivers:
https://github.com/FreeBSDonHyper-V/freebsd-head

I'm really looking forward to trying this out when it's ready.

Maybe you could drop him a line and suggest some fixes for adhering to the FreeBSD guidelines? I'd like to see this project succeed -- not just because I want to use it, but also because it'll provide some nice exposure for FreeBSD in the enterprise space (always a good thing).

I totally agree with you, I am actively working on this and it does work pretty well. Wait for beta releases of Hyper-V drivers - this would really give exposure to FreeBSD in the enterprise space.

I just looked at the release notes for FreeBSD 10. No mention of native Hyper-V support anywhere.

Thanks @wblock@ for the reply. Hyper-V drivers are included in FreeBSD 10, for earlier versions of FreeBSD we are working on ports, Hopefully you will be able to see a new port for Hyper-V Integration Components. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed 10-ALPHA. I can confirm that the Hyper-V drivers are included with it and work. However they aren't being auto loaded by the kernel.

ansarm said:
Just installed 10-ALPHA. I can confirm that the Hyper-V drivers are included with it and work. However they aren't being auto loaded by the kernel.

Yup! I'm testing them as well. It doesn't look like there is a mouse integration module but that's not a huge deal.

It is nice to know it is working, but it would be nicer to know the steps you took to get there. There are a few places that talk about patching pre-10 (all useless now since those specific versions are no longer available), but no discussion to be found about getting 10 built from current base/head. When I put in 'options HYPERV' I get 'unknown option HYPERV'. If I leave that out I get a build of GENERIC that always requires
Code:
set hw.ata.disk_enable=1
even with glabel status & and df showing label/rootfs is understood. It also still requires a powershell script to shut it down, so clearly the integration is either not built, or not loaded. Again, telling the world it works is not useful when the real need is to explain how to make it work...

tonyhain said:
It is nice to know it is working, but it would be nicer to know the steps you took to get there. There are a few places that talk about patching pre-10 (all useless now since those specific versions are no longer available), but no discussion to be found about getting 10 built from current base/head. When I put in 'options HYPERV' I get 'unknown option HYPERV'. If I leave that out I get a build of GENERIC that always requires set hw.ata.disk_enable=1 even with glabel status & df showing label/rootfs is understood. It also still requires a powershell script to shut it down, so clearly the integration is either not built, or not loaded. Again, telling the world it works is not useful when the real need is to explain how to make it work...
Everything should be in GENERIC in ALPHA4/ALPHA5.

• Thanks
Reactions: vvm
Back