HOWTO: Install and setup Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

Who says 'we can't'? Can't remember you or anyone else asking.

If Tangram and Ale agree, I will simply cut off everything below the orginal HOWTO. Or move it off to a separate thread.

OP
tangram

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

I'll update the HOWTO referring the possible issue.

As for for the thread... I don't see much of a problem to let it be as it is. Maybe someone will appreciate the troubleshooting ;)

ale

Daemon

@tangram
A suggestion...
even if it's not caused by the et port, you could add an update about the problem using nvidia-driver with a linux_base > fc4

OP
tangram

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

dennylin93 said:
Should I download the GUI version or the command-line one?
I usually use the GUI version. But it should work with the command line version also.

OP
tangram

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

ale said:
@tangram
A suggestion...
even if it's not caused by the et port, you could add an update about the problem using nvidia-driver with a linux_base > fc4
I still use linux_base-fc4 so I haven't come across any issues. What does happen exactly?

ale

Daemon

It doesn't work! I've tested it since linux_base-fc6 was commited in the ports tree.
About a month ago, after some discussions in the freebsd-bugs ml and a thread in the nv forum, a temporary solution was found.
The solution is to download the linux driver. The version has to be the same of the installed FreeBSD driver. For example, I have nvidia-driver-180.60 installed from ports, so I had to download NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.60-pkg0.run
Then the linux driver should be unpacked somewhere.
Once done, /compat/linux/usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.180.60 should be replaced with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.60-pkg0/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.180.60 from the dir where the linux driver has been unpacked.
Nvidia said that they will ship a driver that install the correct version of the library. In the meanwhile, this is the solution.
I've tested it on CURRENT, where I had linux_base-f9 and now linux_base-f10.

Again, this is not an et problem, it's an Nvidia one. You can see the same using rtcw or other linux-games.

OP
tangram

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

I wasn't aware of that problem. Hope they fix the driver in time for the forthcoming FreeBSD 8.0 ports freeze.

inf3rno

I got
Code:
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
and some
Code:
X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
Looks like some sort of wine patch is required and it is not installed, at least I found this one: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...pengl-libraries-on-64-bit-freebsd-10-1.52217/ It is weird, I mean the game is native linux, why would I need wine for it?

edit:
Ohh mine error message does not contain any mention of wine but theirs does. I'll copy the whole message.

Code:
ET 2.60b linux-i386 May  8 2006
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/root/.etwolf/etmain
/usr/local/lib/enemyterritory/etmain/pak2.pk3 (22 files)
/usr/local/lib/enemyterritory/etmain/pak1.pk3 (10 files)
/usr/local/lib/enemyterritory/etmain/pak0.pk3 (3725 files)
/usr/local/lib/enemyterritory/etmain/mp_bin.pk3 (6 files)
/usr/local/lib/enemyterritory/etmain

----------------------
3763 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

------- Input Initialization -------
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
...loading libGL.so.1: Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 4: 800 600
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
XF86DGA Mouse (Version 2.0) initialized
XFree86-VidModeExtension Activated at 800x600
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 24 depth, 0 stencil display.
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request: 151
  Minor opcode of failed request: 3
  Serial number of failed request: 59
  Minor opcode of failed request: 5
  Serial number of failed request: 61
  Minor opcode of failed request: 26
  Serial number of failed request: 61
ERROR: couldn't create font (glGenLists)
GL_RENDERER: (null)
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
  Minor opcode of failed request: 4
  Serial number of failed request: 65
-----------------------
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Sys_Error: Q_strncpyz: NULL src
I wonder if this is caused by the 800x600 resolution or something else? The screen is on 1920x1080 currently. I can add a config to the game, maybe that solves it.

edit2:

Ok it is definitely not the resolution. I'll try to look around maybe I find something. Linux topics write about this and it is caused by multiple opengl library installation and using the wrong one or something like that. I don't want to remove libGL.so.1 as they suggested, I somehow doubt it would work here, because I don't have multiple drivers with multiple opengl versions. I think I open a new thread, this one is pretty old.

skeletonboss12

does not launch

---- finished R_Init -----
Sys_LoadDll(/home/rudest/.etwolf/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so)...
Sys_LoadDll(/home/rudest/.etwolf/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so) failed:
"/home/rudest/.etwolf/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory"
Sys_LoadDll(/usr/local/lib/enemyterritory/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so)... ok
Sys_LoadDll(ui) found **vmMain** at 0x37013f40
Sys_LoadDll(ui) succeeded!
Received signal 11, exiting...
Shutdown tty console

skeletonboss12

Also cannot seem to use punkbuster with this method.

./pbsetup.run: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open sh
ared object file: No such file or directory

I do have linux-c7-libpng installed as well as linux compatibilityenabled and its modules loaded

skeletonboss12

Okay so I am using the cmd line version of pbsetup.run now, however either this script or i am confused about the path,

It does not wnt to accept .wolf, /usr/local/share/iortcw as a path, and don't know what else to try because those are literally the only install paths for this program i can find

inf3rno

Okay so I am using the cmd line version of pbsetup.run now, however either this script or i am confused about the path,

It does not wnt to accept .wolf, /usr/local/share/iortcw as a path, and don't know what else to try because those are literally the only install paths for this program i can find
It is ".etwolf" not ".wolf" in the home dir of the user.

inf3rno

Any idea why I don't get fullscreen when starting with a non-privileged user? I get fullscreen with root only, but I definitely won't start it with root because the client can be hacked.
Another problem that it cannot make a config file for the user. I guess I have to add privileges for the folder it tries to write, but I have no idea what folder it is.

inf3rno

Any idea why I don't get fullscreen when starting with a non-privileged user? I get fullscreen with root only, but I definitely won't start it with root because the client can be hacked.
Another problem that it cannot make a config file for the user. I guess I have to add privileges for the folder it tries to write, but I have no idea what folder it is.
I think I solved the write issue. I made the folder with root persmissions, I changed owner with chown, now it looks like I can write the files in it when running the game. I still cannot run the game in full screen. I have no idea how to solve this.

edit:
I managed to solve the fullscreen issue. It turned out I accidentally wrote 1920x1280 instead of 1920x1080. Now it is ok. I just need to update the punkbuster somehow. Won't be easy to find the old version which supports ET.

ekvz

When trying to run Enemy Territory in 2020 it might be worth looking at https://www.etlegacy.com/. While it has way more dependencies the overall compatibility is likely better and it won't expect any kind of long dead and forgotten anticheat tool to function.