Solved How to share a regular file between jails

As far as I know, nullfs(5) is useful for sharing an existing and mounted directory between jails. I can edit fstab(5) file of each jails:

Code:
/path/to/be/shared /usr/jails/foo/path/shared nullfs ro 0 0
/path/to/be/shared /usr/jails/bar/path/shared nullfs rw 0 0

But it seems probably true that only directory can be shared.

Code:
# This code snippet doesn't work if /root/.emacs is a regular file.
/root/.emacs /usr/jails/foo/root/.emacs nullfs ro 0 0

Is there any solution if I just want share a single file instead of a directory?

That's probably the wrong tool for the job. A common approach is to collect the dotfiles you want to share in a git repository and symlink them. Some people even push their dotfiles repositories to github -- not sure whether THIS is a good idea. But you can create a bare repository anywhere and push/pull from that (using ssh).

That's probably the wrong tool for the job. A common approach is to collect the dotfiles you want to share in a git repository and symlink them. Some people even push their dotfiles repositories to github -- not sure whether THIS is a good idea. But you can create a bare repository anywhere and push/pull from that (using ssh).

The regular files, I was going to describe, are not only dotfiles, but also some temporary ones. I think it's too heavy for them.

1. Create an empty directory.
2. Share it via nullfs.
3. Create a hard link to the file in this directory.

Alternative solution:
2. Share it via nullfs.
3. Move the file to the directory.
4. Put a symlink in the original location.

I personally never use hard links.

2. Share it via nullfs.
3. Create a hard link to the file in this directory.

Alternative solution:
2. Share it via nullfs.
3. Move the file to the directory.
4. Put a symlink in the original location.

I personally never use hard links.

Thanks. Maybe I have to choose your alternative one.

Oh, by the way, if you want to share files in such a manner (I also use it when backing up all my documents), it is a good practice I have been using for years to put everything that needs to be shared in a big basket (some independent directory, I use ~/backup). Then use symlinks everywhere you need the stuff. All symlinks would point to files inside the basket.
When you share or back things up, always use the basked directly.

Back