How to set battery charging thresholds on laptop...

Fuzzbox

"... or until you plug out / plug back in the battery from its compartment."
Removing the battery resets the battery controller on some Thinkpads.

Mine t440p stopped charging after I did the above 2 commands. :(
What do you mean by stopped charging ? What thresholds did you set and what is the current level of charge ?

ksiu

What do you mean by stopped charging ? What thresholds did you set and what is the current level of charge ?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

acpi_call -p '\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY.BCCS' -i 75

acpi_call -p '\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY.BCSS' -i 85

The charge cable is plugged into the wall. The battery level is stuck at 79%. It is neither going up or down. Wierd. I expect it to charge up to 85% and stop.

$ acpiconf -i0
Design capacity: 56160 mWh
Last full capacity: 40510 mWh
Technology: secondary (rechargeable)
Design voltage: 10800 mV
Capacity (warn): 2025 mWh
Capacity (low): 200 mWh
Low/warn granularity: 1 mWh
Warn/full granularity: 1 mWh
Model number: 45N1147
Serial number: 340
Type: LION
OEM info: LGC
State: high
Remaining capacity: 79%
Remaining time: unknown
Present rate: 0 mW
Present voltage: 11702 mV

aragats

Daemon

The battery level is stuck at 79%. It is neither going up or down. Wierd. I expect it to charge up to 85% and stop.
That's correct, you set the "bottom" limit to 75%, it won't start charging until it goes below 75%. That's the expected behavior.

ksiu

Read my previous post again :)

Charge stop threshold : the threshold your battery won't exceed when it's charging.
Charge start threshold : the threshold you have to reach before your battery starts charging again.

So, with a power source connected to you laptop, the battery will stay at 89% for now.
Disconnect the power source, you battery will discharge.
Connect the power source again : if the remaining capacity is higher than 15%, it won't charge; if it's lower than 15% it will charge, up to 95%.

So, if you want your laptop to be "almost charged all the time but not 100%", you should set a start charge threshold higher, like 85% for instance, and a stop charge threshold at 95%. But if you use it almost always connected to a power source, something like 30% / 75% is enough.

I hope that's clearer :)

Ok, solved. After reading the above by Fuzzbox, I think mine is working as intended.

So, when the battery is between the levels defined by "charge start" and "charge stop", the battery will still be charging but at a reduced rate (with just enough A/C juice to maintain the current battery level).

ksiu

As someone who keeps his laptop near AC outlet 99% of the time, I am set start threshold and stop threshold to 50 and 60, respectively. I read somewhere it is best to keep Lithium battery in this range, to maximum battery longevity.

Question: is there a way to disable this threshold temporarily (allow the battery to charge to 100%)?

Fuzzbox

Question: is there a way to disable this threshold temporarily (allow the battery to charge to 100%)?
No such option afaik (tlp indeed has it on Linux with the tlp fullcharge command). I did not manage to trigger a temporary full charge with acpi_call on FreeBSD.
You can only set new thresholds, like 98 start / 99 stop, to get a full charge. I guess we could script that to make it easier...

ksiu

Removing the battery resets the battery controller on some Thinkpads.

It looks like removing the battery on my T440P does NOT reset the battery controller.

Is 0 and 100 the default values for the controller?

acpi_call -p '\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY.BCCS' -i 0

acpi_call -p '\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY.BCSS' -i 100