Solved How to mount NTFS during FreeBSD installation process ?

Hi, I need to mount NTFS partition on booted FreeBSD from USB stick.
I went to shell and I tried below commands without successful.

kldload fuse
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt (operation not permitted by device)
ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt (no such command)

Do you have any other suggestions?

I don't have internet connection. Anyway I can only read from installation partitions.
Maybe I didn't explain clear. I want to install FreeBSD from USB stick, but before right installation process I have to go to shell and mount NTFS partition.

I need to copy files larger than 4GB. FAT16/32 are excluded. exFAT the same story as NTFS.

In short. Manually (by script) create and format partitions, copy necessary files and restore from backup.
The last one, restore from backup. There are files larger than 4GB.
Everything takes no more than 5 minutes to run the system from the previous state.

Another way, I can usee UFS on Windows and copy necessary files this way.
But I haven't found any good and easy useful software to copy files Windows <-> UFS.

As I previously said. I need copy files larger than 4GB.
I need to copy files because I restore system from a backup.
I need restore in that way because I create and format partition manually because I have to properly align sectors for my needs.
And the last but not the least, the process is faster than standard installation etc.

Don't you have any other box running FreeBSD where you can store those backups so that you can use UFS instead of NTFS ?

Why don't you use split to break up the backup files into 4GB or smaller pieces, and just cat them into the original backup file before restoring them? This gets around the FAT file size limitation.

The only way you might be able to pull this off is to pkg fetch -d pkg fusefs-ntfs packages in txz format on another machine.
Then put them on a USB stick for use with your FreeBSD install.
At the end of the installation you can use a post install shell. Mount your USB stick with packages in txz format.
From there you can use pkg-static to bootstrap pkg.
Then once you get pkg installed you can install fusefs-ntfs.
This should work for the post install shell.
I do not know if it will work with some of the earlier shells in the install process.

Why don't you use split to break up the backup files into 4GB or smaller pieces, and just cat them into the original backup file before restoring them? This gets around the FAT file size limitation.
Because I don't want to complicate such simple things. It's just mount NTFS and that's all. As I know, OpenBSD and NetBSD are able to mount NTFS only for reading and it's enough for me.

I just tested that method and the 'shell' from the FreeBSD installer during the 'Storage Setup' portion will work for you.
You can mount a USB stick in the shell. Install pkg and fusefs-ntfs then kldload fuse and then mount.
Then you can exit shell and have your NTFS drive available during that section of the install.
You do need a FreeBSD installation to get your packages onto a USB stick.

I just tested that method and the 'shell' from the FreeBSD installer during the 'Storage Setup' portion will work for you.
You can mount a USB stick in the shell. Install pkg and fusefs-ntfs then kldload fuse and then mount.
Then you can exit shell and have your NTFS drive available during that section of the install.
You do need a FreeBSD installation to get your packages onto a USB stick.
Ok, I will try and let you know. I was testing kldload fuse and it works.
Two things I have to consider.
Can I install package from file when pkg is not "ready" during initial installation? I do not have Internet access into that machine.
Is it possible to install package when installer file system is ready-only?

Can I install package from file when pkg is not "ready" during initial installation? I do not have Internet access into that machine.
Yes pkg-static will bootstrap pkg. You need to put pkg on a USB stick if no internet.
Use pkg fetch -d on another machine to grab the packages. Remember you need pkg package too.

Another thing. How can I use package files if I cannot mount NTFS drive.... I've got everything to run from this drive and installer is read-only.

How can I collect the splitted restoration file if I use the following command to restore the partition?

lzop -dcf /bkp/root.dump.lzo | (cd /mnt/ && restore -ruf -)

How can I collect the splitted restoration file if I use the following command to restore the partition?

lzop -dcf /bkp/root.dump.lzo | (cd /mnt/ && restore -ruf -)
Assuming the split backup files are named root.dump.lzo.00, root.dump.lzo.01 and so on,
cat /bkp/root.dump.lzo.* | lzop -dcf - | (cd /mnt/ && restore - ruf -) would do it.

You would put them on a UBS stick formatted UFS. Don't you have another USB stick laying around?
USB stick is not a problem, the problem is I already use two sticks, one to boot FreeBSD installer, the second one with my files, including backup.
I do not want to use three sticks :confused:

Back