How to install Pegasus Email Client on FreeBSD

You open `winecfg` then you got the "Libraries" tab and then you add ierenderer with the option "(disabled)".

Or you use the command line: wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" /v "ierenderer" /t "REG_SZ" /d "" /f

Thanks again. I had printed off your earlier information, but have not yet gotten a chance to do it. Too many family things to take care of. For one thing, my wife lost her medicine and I had to help her find it. It is critical.

Ken

Believe me, getting old ain't for wimps. I am busier now than I ever was when I was working. I cannot figure out how on earth I ever had enough time to go to work for 8 hours/day or more.

As I mentioned, I'll be 81 on the 23rd of this month. My wife is only 2 years younger than I. We have to take care of two of our grand-children several times/week. Whenever they are here, we can get nothing else done. But we love them very much. They are very good little boys. One is 5 months old, and the other is not yet 3 years old. And we have a handicapped daughter who is almost 40. She requires 24/7/365 care.

Many other families are in the same position, so we certainly don't feel unique. I guess I am trying to explain why I am so slow and forgetful. Just ignore all this.

Ken

Report: When, from my Home directory, I do winecfg, I get;
"wine [wine-7.4] and wine64 [wine-7.22] versions do not match!

Try updating 32-bit wine with
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh upgrade"

If I attempt to run that command, all I get is "File not found". Since pkg32.sh DOES exist, that warning must be referring to another file....maybe upgrade.

Now, pkg32.sh looks like a script to me, and therefore, if it is, should run by using something in /etc/rc.d. When I attempt to do that by using the command /etc/rc.d pkg32.sh, i get, simply, "Permission denied".

The permissions on pkg32.sh include the execute bit set, and my normal user belongs to the wheel group, so, if pkg32.sh IS a script, either I am using the wrong method to run it, OR it is NOT a script, OR the permissions must refer to another file.

Examining pkg32.sh with either edit or vi, it looks very clearly like a script (which includes the warning, "Do not run as root!")

If I run the command wine reg.exe ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides" /v "ierenderer" /t "REG_SZ" /d "" /f which Alexander so kindly gave to me, I get the same message about versions not matching as above.

In any case, my inclination now is to completely remove everything connected with wine and any apps which require wine and start over.

Which should be a really kewel continuing learning experience....not.

Ken

Report: When, from my Home directory, I do winecfg, I get;
"wine [wine-7.4] and wine64 [wine-7.22] versions do not match!
Looks like you got two different versions of WINE installed somehow. What does echo $WINE_i386_ROOT report? What about ls -l ~/.i386-wine-pkg?
Now, pkg32.sh looks like a script to me..
Yup, it is. You can also look at it here:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/emulators/wine/files/pkg32.sh
...and therefore, if it is, should run by using something in /etc/rc.d.
Hmm, that's not quite right. It already has its interpreter defined right there at line 1 #!/bin/sh -e. Trying to pass it to a directory like /etc/rc.d will do nothing, best case.

Edit: Fixed link to pkg32.sh

Yes. There is nothing in rc.d that would do anything. The .sh in the pkg32.sh obviously means to use the correct shell. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Ken

Looks like you got two different versions of WINE installed somehow.

Yes, darn it.

What does echo $WINE_i386_ROOT report?

Nothing. Just a blank line.

What about ls -l ~/.i386-wine-pkg?
total 2
drwxr-xr-x 3 Ken Ken 3 JUL 1 2022 etc
drwxr-xr-x 4 Ken Ken 4 JUL 1 2022 usr
drwxr-xr-x 6 Ken Ken 6 JUL 1 2022 var
Yup, it is. You can also look at it here:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/emulators/wine/files/pkg32.sh

Hmm, that's not quite right.
Yes, it sure isn't. I figured that out shortly after I tried it from something I just read about it. Obviously I didn't read far enough.

It already has its interpreter defined right there at line 1 #!/bin/sh -e. Trying to pass it to a directory like /etc/rc.d will do nothing, best case.

Edit: Fixed link to pkg32.sh
Thanks, Jose. More to play with tomorrow. I really think I should completely remove any and everything connected to WINE somehow, and start over. It is looking to me as if my attempts to install and use WINE last July were total failures.

Ken

I really think I should completely remove any and everything connected to WINE somehow, and start over.
Sure, that might work. It might be worth trying this first:
Code:
rm -rf ~/.i386-wine-pkg
/usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine
And then try winecfg again if all goes well.

Thanks, Jose. I'll give it a try, but at this point I am not too hopeful.

I deleted ( pkg delete) all the wine packages I had installed last July, plus did rm -Rf of all the directories I could find that related to everything I tried to do last July, Pegasus, Airmail, .wine, etc.

I intend to look for anything related to wine later today to make as sure as I can that I got everything.

Then I'll go to winehq.org to download the latest version of wine and start over.

Last July I had to use the -devel packages to get anything related to wine to "take" anyway. I am hoping the latest version of wine might be easier to deal with.

Ken

Then I'll go to winehq.org to download the latest version of wine and start over.
That's likely how you got into this predicament in the first place. The latest version of emulators/wine is 7.0.2, and the latest for emulators/wine-devel is 7.22. The latest version on the WINE site is 8.something. It's hard to keep track because it changes so quickly.

I would do
Code:
sudo pkg install wine
And then try Peggy. It likely does not need the latest and greatest WINE.

Take advantage of the work the porters have done for you first. You can sign up for the class "Trouble 201B - Advanced Trouble: Lab" after you have something working.

That's likely how you got into this predicament in the first place.

Nope. I avoided that place from the beginning: I first read as much as I could find about this on this forum, then installed wine from the ports via pkg (file). That didn't work. So after doing some more reading, I installed wine-devel from the ports....without first deleting the first install. That worked. Then after doing MORE reading, I was informed that I needed 32 bit wine in order to run 32 bit apps, so I looked for, and installed that, again, without deleting any previous install.

Then after doing MORE reading, I tried installing Peggy. No luck with getting it to run. Then after doing yet more reading, I discovered that wine has trouble dealing with IErenderer, so I found every instance of IErenderer, and changed the file-name so that it wouldn't run. Peggy or wine, then RE-loaded IErenderer. This was last July. Shortly thereafter, I got hit with several severe health issues and stopped trying to deal with it until recently.

Then, Billy's good old crap Windoze became MORE intrusive in our lives, so I decided I should get back to work on my project of building some sort of desktop-based FreeBSD install so we could all dump Billy's garbage. One of the first things I needed to do was to get Peggy working, since every one in our home uses it.

I also had a bad experience with Thunderbird...which I have never liked anyway, so I deleted it. IFF I cannot get Peggy to run satisfactorily, I MAY try claws.

The latest version of emulators/wine is 7.0.2, and the latest for emulators/wine-devel is 7.22. The latest version on the WINE site is 8.something. It's hard to keep track because it changes so quickly.

I would do
Code:
sudo pkg install wine
And then try Peggy. It likely does not need the latest and greatest WINE.

Take advantage of the work the porters have done for you first. You can sign up for the class "Trouble 201B - Advanced Trouble: Lab" after you have something working.

I agree that Peggy most certainly does NOT need the latest and greatest WINE. I'll try your solution asap, and, again, thank you very much for your help.

Although I really, really like Unix, and FreeBSD, considering Unix, and FreeBSD, to be the only REAL computer OPSYS in existence, I am not really very good with either one, especially since I had not used them for around 10 years and I am beginning to have a bit of trouble with my memory.

Later, gents and ladies. 👍

Ken

OK. Results:

Well, first of all, sudo does not reside on my FreeBSD install, so I su-ed and then ran pkg install wine and followed the prompts.

Then I exited root.

Then ran /usr/local/share/wine/pkg32.sh install wine and got (among other things):pkg: wine-7.0.2,1 conflicts with wine-devel-7.22,1 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file /usr/local/bin function_grep.pl. Also, one odd (to me) thing was that it found wine-devel, which I thought I HAD deleted, and deleted it.

So, although I am not sure about this, I believe that the function_grep.pl is not something I need to worry about at this point....maybe.

Therefore, unless advised otherwise by you good folks, I'll go ahead and attempt to install Peggy, and disable IErenderer.

Ken

Well, I have been working on this darned thing all day. So, far with zero success. It is now 5:47 PM and I am still in my pajamas and robe. I didn't stop to eat lunch. I am going to get dressed, have dinner with my family, and MAYBE work on it again next week. What a huge PITA so far.

I suspect there is some sort of path problem involved, but haven't yet confirmed that.

When trying to run winecfg from my home directory, I get complaints about failing to resolve my host name IP address, and could not load kernel32.dll.

I did find / | grep kernel32.dll and it is in many places including those directories associated with wine.

Oh, well....next week...maybe. :mad:

Ken

So, I have been working on this since dinner, and it is now 11:37 PM. I have discovered that I need to be able to make a 32bit WINEPREFIX, since the only one that has been built is a 64bit one residing in my $HOME directory as .wine. When I try to follow what I have discovered by searching on the web on how to make a 32bit WINEPREFIX, that process does not work.

Some method I hit on last July DID work...

I am going to bed.

Ken

So, what am I doing wrong?

1) From the command line, first as my regular user, Ken, and in my Home directory, I input:
WINEARCH=Win32 WINEPREFIX=Pegasus ENTER
Result: Standard prompt returns, nothing happens. There is no 32bit prefix, Pegasus, constructed.

2) Switch to root: repeat as above.
Result: exactly as above for 1): Essentially nothing

Secondly: Still at the command line: exit to exit root and return to regular user, Ken
winetricks enter
Response:
warning: Your version of wine is no longer supported upstream. You should upgrade to 6.x

Huh? What?

warning: You are using a 64-bit wineprefix. Yada, yada, yada.
winetricks GUI enabled, using zenity 3.42.1

Result: Winetricks GUI appears on desktop. I attempt to use it to build a 32-bit prefix. Result: two pages of error messages on the command-line, many mentioning caja, ending in returning to the prompt.

If anyone think it would help, I'll take a photo of all that and post it here.

I then attempt to follow a suggestion on the web which says to rename the 64-bit prefix, .wine, in my Home directory in order to build a 32-bit prefix. I mv .wine to oldwine, then attempt to build a 32-bit prefix. None of the programs needed to build a 32-bit prefix available. mv oldwine back to .wine

Quit in disgust and go to bed.

Ken

Maybe just use it on Windows? Don’t mean that rudely - just might save you a lot of time and trouble. Not every problem is a nail, so sometimes better just using the screwdriver rather than the hammer.

KenGordon, i have already explained what is to do but maybe this way is easier.

I do have an application (games/suyimazu) that do handle applications in Wine automatically so that almost no Wine knownledge is requiered.

After the the small investiagtion for Pegasus Mail, the application worked and have been added to it aswell.

The only thing what you need to do is:

pkg install suyimazu

Suyimazu Install Pegasus-Mail

and to run it after installation Suyimazu Launch Pegasus-Mail.

Well, thank you, Alexander.

In the meantime, I did some more searching on this forum, and found my much earlier discussion on this issue from my posts in July of 2022. From that i learned that I had forgotten much of what I had learned then. I had even forgotten the fact that I had upgraded my FreeBSD install to ver 13.1. I recently up-graded to 13.2-RELEASE

I won't bother explaining why I forgot all that, but I did learn about your Suyimazu, and had intended to, first, clean up the mess I have lately made, then use your program.

I thank the forum for putting up with me over the past couple of weeks. I will clean up my act from now on.

Ken

Back