how to game on freebsd

You're missing misc/compat5x. How did you install the nvidia driver? The port should have pulled compat5x in.

If you are going to go outside the ports tree to install your drivers, you can't blame FreeBSD because *you* didn't install all the necessary dependencies.

Adam

OK tanks all! for your help! I come from windowshit and all it easy do but boring. Freebsd rest My number 1, linux nuber 2,opensolaris # 3 and winshit i dont wont know about.
1 ting do you ting i can install rise of nation with Wine? I try on linux but wine don't start the installation.
thanks for all.

ericturgeon said:
instal my drivers by nvidia.com I alwais go for the last drivers.

Unless you have a specific reason to use the latest one from nvidia, use the one in the ports tree for the time being. At least until you have a clearer understanding of the needed dependencies.

cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver && make install clean

SirDice said:
Unless you have a specific reason to use the latest one from nvidia, use the one in the ports tree for the time being. At least until you have a clearer understanding of the needed dependencies.

cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver && make install clean

You don't need to reinstall the nVidia driver, you can (probably) get away by running a make depends for x11/nvidia-driver, the port doesn't do any real patching.

ericturgeon, you say FreeBSD is not a gaming OS, I think you are right about that ... So why try and use FreeBSD as a gaming OS anyway?

If I want to try the latest (or the new beta) I just hack the port's Makefile a bit. It's usually only a matter of changing a few version numbers. That way the pkgtools can keep track of the version I've got installed.

Once you got nvidia driver working, for gaming you want to add the following to your xorg.conf:
In Section Screen:
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "NoRenderExtension" "False"
Option "NoFlip" "False"
Option "UseEdid" "True"
Option "NvAGP" "1"

If your motherboard has AGP, add to /boot/device.hints:
hint.agp.0.disabled="1"

and reboot.
Alternatively, install /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-xconfig and read through the manpage. It can update your xorg.conf with driver settings specific to nvidia, at the right spot.

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 Mar 17 22:25 libglx.so -> libglx.so.1
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 1226456 Mar 17 22:25 libglx.so.1

you have these two libs which are unable to be loaded. Note that libglx.so.1 has only read permissions. It should be executable. Try to do this

chmod 555 libglx.so.1

and run your game again.

Back