Solved How to download multiple packages at a time ?

with command

Bash:
pkg install package_name

all required packages are downloading one after another. Is there any we can download multiple packages at a time ?

Thanks
Raja Genupula

No, it's mostly serialized. So it'll always download and install packages one after another. I presume at least that's what you're looking for? Having multiple packages downloaded concurrently instead of consecutively?

with command

Bash:
pkg install package_name

all required packages are downloading one after another. Is there any we can download multiple packages at a time ?

Thanks
Raja Genupula

Do you mean installing multiple packages using a single command? ... like this?
cat pkg-list | xargs pkg install -y

I wonder what problem that should solve ... after all, you're downloading from a package repository, IOW, all packages are downloaded from the same host. So it should be unlikely that having multiple connections in parallel would be substantially faster ...

What about a script such as:-
Code:
pkg install apache24  &
pkg install wordpress  &
I've no idea if it would give you anything...

You might run into a race condition doing that. What if the second package has a dependency on apache24? The first command would download and install it but that might still be running when the second pkg-install(8) starts. It would then see it's missing apache24 and will try to install it too. You can get into some really weird situations.

Back