How to declare keyboard under Gnome3

Hi,
I have installed FreeBSD 11 with Gnome3, iI can't declare keyboard "fr", iI tried many scripts at xorg.conf file but the keyboard is still "qwerty", also the rc.conf file iI have declare "fr", so when my system start the VT terminal are "azerty" but when iI start the gnome3 iI lose the config "fr", my question is how to declare keyboard "fr"?

Best regards,
Philippe

Hi Philippe, I’ve never used Gnome, but this section in xorg.conf has worked for me with Mate, Openbox and Lumina:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "system-keyboard"
   MatchIsKeyboard "on"
   Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
   Option "XkbVariant" "latin9"
EndSection

Hi Philippe, I’ve never used Gnome, but this section in xorg.conf has worked for me with Mate, Openbox and Lumina:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "system-keyboard"
   MatchIsKeyboard "on"
   Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
   Option "XkbVariant" "latin9"
EndSection

Hi,
I try your section into xorg.conf, but now I think about mistake into xorg.conf because is blank just adding your section, when I do the command xorg -reconfigure I have errors if you are interesting about last one, I can paste it!
I have read many links, so my question is how to fill the xorg.conf?

Regards
Philippe

As far as I know, you don’t need to use xorg -reconfigure. Just put the snippet provided above in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and Xorg should automatically configure the rest when starting up.

Yes, there are different ways to do it. You can also replace the above mentioned lines in xorg.conf by the following line in ~/.xinitrc (provided you start the Xorg server with startx(1):
Code:
setxbmap -model pc105 -layout fr -variant latin9 &

Hi,

Just to be sure, did you tried to set the layout from Gnome's own Settings panel?
It's in Settings > Region & Language > Input Sources. You have to add the France layout and delete everything else (if you don't need it fo course).

% setxkbmap fr Will be NOT working after reboot :)

Try: bsdconfig syscons_keymap

and add this section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot machine.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "DontZap"  "off"
  Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
  Option "AutoAddDevices"  "off"
EndSection

Yes, there are different ways to do it. You can also replace the above mentioned lines in xorg.conf by the following line in ~/.xinitrc (provided you start the Xorg server with startx(1):
Code:
setxbmap -model pc105 -layout fr -variant latin9 &

Hi,
I didn't do a startx !
I have wrote into ~/.xinitrc the command exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session. I tried to add the command setxbkmap but it is wrong!
Which files are use by Gnome?

Regards
Philippe

Back