How I fixed libxcb-aux.so.0 missing problem

achix said:
Experience says that this is the fastest way to go, because months later, most probably similar failures will arise (I haven't got one single problem-free upgrade of FreeBSD ports since 1997, I am talking workstation here not server).

My experience over a similar time frame is that quick hacks to get things working mostly become permanent huge time wasters later. Problems happen, but not routinely. Maybe the time savers are working against you?

If you think about it, those symlinks are harmless, and will be eventually irrelevant, unless someone decides to bring them back, in which case they will be overridden.

We've had examples here, even recently, that leftover fake library symlinks caused problems building new stuff. If they were always harmless, they could be ignored.

To be specific about procedures, I'd run this to help detect fake libraries: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/fakelib/fastfakelib
After removing one of those fake libraries, then I'd run [pman=]pkg_libchk[/pman] from sysutils/bsdadminscripts to see which programs need that library, check /usr/ports/UPDATING for special instructions, and rebuild them.

I thought I have fixed this libxcb problems couple weeks back. Everything runs OK until I tried to install multimedia/cheese. The installation was fine, however when I run cheese in the terminal I got a message
Code:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libxcb-aux.so.0" not found, required by "libgnome-desktop-2.so.17"
Does anyone know what I need to do with this problem (my last upgrade port was on March 13, 2012)?

It's an oldy but it might apply. The previous update probably didn't work correctly.
Code:
20120116:
  AFFECTS: users of x11/xcb-util
  AUTHOR: garga@FreeBSD.org

x11/xcb-util was updated to 0.3.8 and was split in new modules.
  Dependencies were adjusted but main port symbols were moved to a single
  library, xcb-util.so.  For this reason, all dependent ports must be
  recompiled.If you use portmaster, run:

# portmaster -R -r xcb-util-0

Or for portupgrade:

# portupgrade -r xcb-util-0\*
From /usr/ports/UPDATING.

I did try that one. And that the one I used to fix my freebsd FreeBSD 8.2 release at home, and 9.0 release at office from libxcb problems. And it took three days. As far as I know, we can use that technique if we had installed the application before? And this application cheese was a fresh one in my 8.2. I was thinking more than updating the port again? However, I might try that one again in the week-end (and upgrading port again). If it still doesn't work, probably symbolic link :(

I did try both what been suggested by wblock suggest and SirDice couple weeks back, and I decided to upgrade ports and reinstall all gnome. So the command I used [CMD=]portmaster -D -v gnome[/CMD] fixed the problem :e

Hi,

I have just solved this misery, libxcb-atom.so.1, libxcb-aux.so.0, libxcb-event.so.1 "not found", by installing misc/compat8x.

I use pkg_libchk just to see which packages use that one. From the output on the screen, my instinct tell me to have a look at /usr/local/lib/compt/pkg and there they are, all sitting there.

Since I am using 9.0-release, simply installing misc/compat8x is enough.

Just for your information.

Back