How do I set the GNOME 3 login screen (aka GDM greeter) keyboard language to German?

Hello!

I consider myself an absolute beginner as far as FreeBSD and GNOME 3 is concerned; still - during the last few days - I managed to get FreeBSD 12.1 (amd64) up and running in a 32-bit VirtualBox on Windows 10 32-bit. I even managed to install GNOME 3 (3.28.4) on top of the basic FreeBSD. As an icing on the cake, I managed to get the latest Eclipse up and running (as my long-term goal is to learn Java SE 11, which - you guessed it - isn't available for 32-bit systems anymore!)...

So far, so good!

There is just one (minor?) annoyance I have with the GNOME 3 login screen (some seem to call it the GDM greeter...):

While I managed to set region and language to German once I was logged in, the keyboard layout of the login screen itself seems to be US by default (which almost got me locked out of my precious FreeBSD installation!) - so how do I configure GNOME 3 or the X Window system (or both?), so that the GNOME 3 login screen accepts nothing but the German keyboard layout (the famous German "Umlaute" ö, ä, ü don't have to be necessarily present as I don't use them for passwords...)?

A (hopefully straight-forward) solution to my nasty problem will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Bernhard (a veteran pre-GUI ANSI C software developer...)

Back