How do i get nicotine+ on freebsd?

After switching from linux, one of the biggest things i miss is nicotine+ (Soulseek Client) It has been deleted from the ports but is there a way to still get it?
Thanks.

It was removed because it was broken (didn't build) and nobody cared enough to fix it.

Well, it had build errors, so I expect that to still be the case. You could take a stab at resurrecting the port and see if you can get it to build.

Besides reading the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook eternal_noob linked to you can fetch the deleted port and try to re-do it. Chances are high to make it build.

But if you don't want to tinker around and want the program "outside the repository" then you can install the program via pip. Just make sure the runtime dependencies are installed.

Or Run Nicotine+ from git:

nicotine+run_from_git.jpeg

The image shows nicotine+ running from git natively on 12.2-RELEASE (% python3.8 nicotine). It should run on higher FreeBSD versions too. I had to add missing runtime dependency databases/py-gdbm (package name py38-gdbm) as nicotine+ complained about it when executed. I haven't tried the functionality. If it's not working as expected for you don't expect here in Forums support.

I'm trying to adopt this port, but it seems there's no interest on upstream.
Upstream as in https://nicotine-plus.org/ or freebsd-ports? If it's freebsd-ports, I noticed in the PR there where repeatedly requests to test the port with ports-mgmt/poudriere and to verify the port with ports-mgmt/portlint. Maybe if committers have a positive confirmation of the tests (poudrier build log) then they would be inclined to grant the commit rather sooner than later.

Upstream as in https://nicotine-plus.org/ or freebsd-ports? If it's freebsd-ports, I noticed in the PR there where repeatedly requests to test the port with ports-mgmt/poudriere and to verify the port with ports-mgmt/portlint. Maybe if committers have a positive confirmation of the tests then they would be inclined to grant the commit rather sooner than later.
After 5 builds on poudriere and 2 rewrite of the entire port in a year? I don't know why I'm even trying anymore.

You could try asking for a committer on freebsd-ports@ mailing list.
I did that on irc and also I have some updates to the ports I maintain sitting there forever (by update, I mean a version bump, even so, sometimes new "problems" arise), I just gave up trying until someone notice.

Back