How could I have the console font like DragonflyBSD?

D

Deleted member 63539

I really liked the default console font of DragonflyBSD and want to have my FreeBSD console font like it. The default console font of FreeBSD is way too small and very difficult to read. Please help. Thanks.

Also search for "font" in rc.conf(5).
The man page is too long, how could I search for it? Is there any tool to help me to search for a specific term in the man page? Searching manually seems not to be an option.

Is there any tool to help me to search for a specific term in the man page?
The man page are listed using a pager with is less(1). When the man page is open you have a colon : in the lowest row. If you press the slash / followed by font the display will jump to the next position where the text font appears. The you can use the n key to jump to the next location or the N key to go back. Now you have the next man page to read. Fortunately one needs only a small subset of all keys :D.

The gallant font is eye-pleasing for large resolutions:
In the shell (csh(1)):
Code:
foreach y (8 14 16)
foreach? sysrc -e font8x$y
foreach? end
font8x8="gallant"
font8x14="gallant"
font8x16="gallant"
To set, use sysrc font8x$y=gallant in the loop. You can see a list of all fonts and set them as root from a console with vidfont(1).
EDIT P.S. TL;DR? You do not have to read the man pages yourself. We're happy to do that for you. Just ask here... ;)

The man page is too long, how could I search for it? Is there any tool to help me to search for a specific term in the man page? Searching manually seems not to be an option.
To read man pages comfortably, you can use a graphical tool e.g. sysutils/khelpcenter or type man:rc.conf in the address line of x11-fm/konqueror
pkg install kde5 octopkg falkonRight click on the start menu -> edit menu entries -> select System/OctoPkg -> run as user: root
EDIT pkg install asr-manpages

To read man pages comfortably, you can use a graphical tool e.g. sysutils/khelpcenter or type man:rc.conf in the address line of x11-fm/konqueror
pkg install kde5 octopkg falkonRight click on the start menu -> edit menu entries -> select System/OctoPkg -> run as user: root
EDIT pkg install asr-manpages
Thanks. But I will not install the entire kde5 just to read a man page.

Thanks. But I will not install the entire kde5 just to read a man page.
Very likely other GUIs have graphical help systems, too. Unfortunately, AFAIK there is no easy text-mode man(1) pager; i.e. without not-so-intuitive commands like more(1) & less(1). To search in these (default man pagers), use the slash ("/"). When you have used that a few times, you'll get used to it. It's UNIXish, and you choosed FreeBSD which is a UNIXoid. Maybe you find sysutils/most (a text mode pager like more/less) easier to use (e.g. S to search).

A lot of fonts don't have enough differences between O (capital o) and 0 (zero). Or I (capital i), l (lowercase L) and 1 (one). Or B (capital b) and 8 (eight). Which makes them terrible for coding. I'm a big fan of the Terminus font (x11-fonts/terminus-font) which has clear and distinct differences between those problematic letters and digits.

I've discovered terminus years ago and it was a big jump for me. Every machine I should use for a long period of time doing something, the terminal will use terminus.

The nerdy way is to install devel/plan9port and start the acme editor. [...]
The only text editor you'll ever need 🤓 You can even start an ssh session in the editor!
Yes, or install editors/emacs. Not only it's a complete IDE, it can also read & send e-mail, cook coffee, etcetera, for shure it can format man pages, too! It's an own whole galaxy:
portfind -r emacs: Results: 372 / Matches: 372 :D

Nowadays, the GUIs usually do not depend on a full X11 installation (x11/xorg), but either install only those components they need, or the stripped-down x11/xorg-minimal. No xdm, xterm, xrdb, xmodmap, xman etc.pp.
True, but people have always been able to install butchered versions of Xorg. That is why I explicitly used the word "standard". The minimal xorg package is definitely useful for "Point of Sale" units however. We use it for our arcade units (with a few additional removals).

I always install the full xorg.

Same for my workstation installs, I think in many ways it is a good idea so if anything goes wrong it isn't that I happened to miss off a crucial package. It makes it easier for others to help debug problems if they know you have a standard install.

Not to mention, the minimal X11 package dragging in 3 pythons kind of undoes the benefits of minimal anyway. Especially if you go and install a single Qt (or Gtk) application afterwards.

<Offtopic>
You know something is wrong with a language when a "minimal" meta-package drags in 3 versions of it.
Code:
python27
python35
python37
That said, it does also drag in llvm80 (rather than link against the one in base) so I suppose C and C++ is only slightly better XD

Butchered seems to be a perfectly fitting description for ending up with 3 versions of python but no xcalc.
Excuse me please but I checked on both freshports and pkg install xorg-minimal on my system but didn't see it drags in 3 versions of python at all. It could be because my system already has the standard xorg installed, though.

Butchered seems to be a perfectly fitting description for ending up with 3 versions of python but no xcalc.

I know! Fairly annoying isn't it haha.

I did look into this before but can't recall what drags in the Pythons. In theory it shouldn't need any. I believe it was a case of a port option being enabled by default. Similar to Xorg having dbus and nvidia driver having Linux compat options enabled by default. Annoying for package users.

Back