Having Vivaldi browser in FreeBSD ? why not ?

Yes, it is. This is the browser i want and need.
That is why i asking for help.
I'm sorry, that doesn't answer my question.... I get that you like Vivaldi, but I don't get why you'd prefer it over Firefox? what's wrong with Firefox?

(I'm fishing for a technical, rather than emotional/political answer... Like, did did Vivaldi work somewhere where Firefox failed at the same task?)

I'm sorry, but your answer doesn't answer my question either.                 Customization.
Can you or anybody help?

I'm sorry, but your answer doesn't answer my question either.                 Customization.
Can you or anybody help?
Well, Vivaldi browser is not in ports at this time.

A quick googling showed that there's very little interest in having it in FreeBSD: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/31607/vivaldi-for-freebsd

It will take a lot of work on somebody's part to become a maintainer of the Vivaldi browser port for FreeBSD. A good starting point is the Porter's Handbook.

This reality of life, realizing that it takes this kind of persistence and skill to even get going, is probably why nobody stepped up yet.

Alternative options are either to set up a Linux distro ( one that does have Vivaldi available as a package) inside a VirtualBox VM, or find a different browser. The FreeBSD ports collection does have a few workable browsers in Ports.

Firefox is plenty customizable, too.

Just to know a bit about the project: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivaldi_Technologies

I said i use it in compatibility layer via linux-browser-installer. No full emulation, etc.
It have way too little customization.
There is interest, but five year old answer from authors that they do not want to do is no argument.
Anybody help?

Anybody help?
I am not sure that your problem has something to do with this thread, you are asking why Vivaldi fails when running from Linux jail, not why Vivaldi isn't available in repo, may be open your own thread.

To me having Vivaldi in repo is not a must have because it's another chrome fork.
This is the list of firefox/chrome forks:
chrome-like:
www/linux-chrome
www/chromium
www/ungoogled-chromium
www/iridium

firefox-like:
www/firefox
www/firefox-esr
www/librewolf

How many browsers exactly does FreeBSD need to have in ports to make everyone happy?
IMO there are plenty of them already, porting them to FreeBSD is nice, keeping them well maintained is more complicated in a long run.
Plus building those packages takes way too long for every chrome-like, there are people already complaining that their favorite browser is gone from the repo when the build fails or isn't ready yet, so the more we add the worst it will be.
At some point users need also to be more reasonable and realistic, we need to do with what we have.

Back