Having the core dumps in one place.

Hi guys,

I have this fixation to have my "graphic design shop" based on FreeBSD.
I understand someone might think that I am crazy, but I'd like to do it not matter what.

Now the majority of the Open Source Design software (Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, etc...) constantly leave huge core dump. This is not very encouraging however the problem is not the dumps themselves, but that are scattered all over the place on my working directories.

Is there a knob to force these dumps to be saved in one place? Although I think I had better to stop creating them altogether because tends to be huge, once I found one of 26GB... 😱

Thanks... 🙏
 
They shouldn't coredump in the first place, though.

Did you look at any of the dumps?

From time to time yes, but it is like reading the Rosetta stone.
I can imagine the problem is these software are mainly tested on Linux.

However a 27GB dump core there is no way to share it with somebody... 😵
 
If you want you can disable coredumps using 'ulimit -c 0'. You probably have it set to 'ulimit -c unlimited' by default. If you set the value to 0 processes won't write a corefile when they segfault.

But the real question is why you are getting programs dumping core at all. And 27GB for a corefile sounds crazy, it's difficult to know what's happening without more details. Is it particular programs that are dumping core? Can you list a couple of examples using 'ls -l'?
 
blackbird9 & cracauer@

These software do not hang, close, or behave improperly. But they leave these huge .core dump on each directory I am working in.

I assume it depends by the bad habit to make software too much linux-y and thinking that all the unix-like OS work the same.

Code:
Marketing ) ls -l | grep .core
-rw-------  1 freezr freezr 1548935168 Sep 30 11:05 gimp-3.2.core
-rw-------  1 freezr freezr  669257728 May 27 08:44 inkscape.core
-rw-------  1 freezr freezr  452706304 Jul 12 23:51 soffice.bin.core

freezr ) ls -l | grep .core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr 930000896 Sep  3 07:17 ThreadPoolForeg.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr 910266368 Jan 20  2026 inkscape.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr 146366464 Apr 22 13:06 librewolf.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr  81379328 Aug 17 15:44 pdfchain.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr 845946880 Sep  3 07:17 pool-chrome.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr  92356608 Aug 19 12:22 thunar.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr  97546240 Sep 28 06:11 wrapper-2.0.core
-rw-------   1 freezr freezr  89825280 Dec 27  2025 xfdesktop-settings.core

Since I have started using FreeBSD as Desktop daily driver, I noticed this behavior, therefore I assumed that anybody that is using FreeBSD as Desktop OS and uses these software shares the same issues.
 
Do you know how to look at a coredump's backtrace?

It is highly unusual to get coredumps but not notice software malfunctions such as crashes/disappearing programs.
 
Do you know how to look at a coredump's backtrace?

It is highly unusual to get coredumps but not notice software malfunctions such as crashes/disappearing programs.


I read some tutorials, however even though I can output something on my terminal and I don't have the knowledge to understand what's went wrong. I do believe these software call other plugins and components, that must be available but I don't touch very often.
 
Pretty unusual to see lots of different corefiles like that. Just a thought.. are you running out of disk space anywhere? Is /tmp full up, for example, or you home partition? I haven't seen multiple coredumps like that from mainstream desktop programs for a long time, really, not for many years. Obviously you do have them, but I wonder if there is anything basic wrong like no free space left on a disk. It's pretty strange to see the list of programs that are dumping core, it looks like it could be almost any gui program. That is definitely not normal, anyway.
 
Just for a sanity check, I did a global search on my system, and I didn't find a single core file. I'm on 14.5 now, but this system was on 13.x for some time before I upgraded it to 14.

# find / -name '*.core'
#

My system was installed maybe 3 or 4 years ago and has been running, other than upgrades, ever since, and I run all the usual desktop programs, browsers, libreoffice, pdf viewers, gimp, etc. I can't remember when was the last time I had a program dump core (at least, apart from programs I wrote myself!)

So what you are seeing is pretty strange. Please check to see if your /tmp or /home is full.
 
I have plenty of space available, and I've ever seen this behavior.
I do believe that only 0,01% of FreeBSD users are also desktop users therefore these issues are mostly overlooked.

Code:
freezr ) df -h /
Filesystem            Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
zroot/ROOT/default    144G     20G    125G    14%    /
freezr ) doas find / -name '*.core'
/home/freezr/ThreadPoolForeg.core
/home/freezr/Documents/scribus.core
/home/freezr/pool-chrome.core
/home/freezr/xfdesktop-settings.core
/home/freezr/thunar.core
/home/freezr/Downloads/bsd/ready/ristretto.core
/home/freezr/bin/pool-chrome.core
/home/freezr/bin/master-pdf-editor-5/masterpdfeditor5.core
/home/freezr/bin/ThreadPoolForeg.core
/home/freezr/inkscape.core
/home/freezr/pdfchain.core
/home/freezr/wrapper-2.0.core
/home/freezr/librewolf.core
/home/freezr/rdp/Marketing/inkscape.core
/home/freezr/rdp/Marketing/gimp-3.2.core
/home/freezr/rdp/Marketing/soffice.bin.core
 
I have plenty of space available, and I've ever seen this behavior.
I do believe that only 0,01% of FreeBSD users are also desktop users therefore these issues are mostly overlooked.
My impression is, most of them are nowadays.
/home/freezr/librewolf.core
/home/freezr/rdp/Marketing/inkscape.core
/home/freezr/rdp/Marketing/gimp-3.2.core
/home/freezr/rdp/Marketing/soffice.bin.core
This doesn't look normal to me, there must be something common in the backtraces.

But to answer Your original question, this is how to move all cores to /var/tmp:
sysctl kern.corefile="/var/tmp/%N.%U.%P.%I.core"
 
Back
Top