Have you ever discovered software that you wished you found earlier?

https://almy.us/teco.html -- there is a freebsd port as well.

I did use TECO but that was a very long time ago. All I remember now is accidentally stumbling upon its surprising response in one case. To edit a file you say "TECO <file>" but to create a new file you say "MAKE <file>". So of course I typed "MAKE LOVE" and it came back with "NOT WAR?" It was years and years later when I learned such unexpected hidden things in software are called easter-eggs!

Other piece of software, that I began to use too late, is the unix calendar.
I call it from .tcshrc, then I see at every login may calendar. Every year, I generate with
a script a template for .calendar with entries for each day to be completed.
Before that, I had my calendar in paper, although I knew of the existence of calendar,
I was just not so aware of a triviality: how practical and comfortable is to use it.

Other piece of software, that I began to use too late, is the unix calendar.
I call it from .tcshrc, then I see at every login may calendar. Every year, I generate with
a script a template for .calendar with entries for each day to be completed.
Before that, I had my calendar in paper, although I knew of the existence of calendar,
I was just not so aware of a triviality: how practical and comfortable is to use it.
Can you share this setup with us? please

Can you share this setup with us? please
See what shell you are using and what rc for it.
If your login shell is tcsh (I think the standard),
then if there is a ~/.tcshrc file, put "calendar" inside of it,
if there is not a ~/.tcshrc, but a ~/.cshrc, then put "calendar" in the last.

For example, if you have "fortune" there, substitute it with "calendar".

The trivial script for generating the templates is here:

Note that some modifications are necessary, in the first line must be the path to tclsh,
for example /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.6 if you installed tcl with pkg install tcl8.6.

You need to substitute /usr/home/user/.calendar/allyears with the path of a calendar file
allyears containing entries that are the same every year (for example birthdays).
You can generate the file with the script (and delete the "#include"-line in the generated file).

Back