Solved graphics/cinepaint upgrade problem

I'm not too experienced, so a bit of help would be appreciated.

I try to upgrade graphics/cinepaint after libpng upgrade (via ports). But during configure step I get strange output, it says that I have 1.5.13 libpng, although using pkgconf --modversion libpng gives 1.6.16. I've looked into configure script in cinepaint "work" directory (after "clean" and "configure" several times, with different compilers), and it executes just the same command: pkgconf --modversion libpng. Also that configure script misguides the latter process with the old version number for libdrm and some other ports.

Why the same command gives different results (from terminal and from within the configure script)? What can I do to fix it?

Just a question. Have you already followed /usr/ports/UPDATING?
Code:
20141225:
  AFFECTS: users of graphics/png
  AUTHOR: antoine@FreeBSD.org

The PNG library has been updated to version 1.6.16.  Please rebuild all
  ports that depend on it.

If you use portmaster:
  portmaster -r png
  If you use portupgrade:
  portupgrade -fr graphics/png

In your case I would first backup the installation. Then I would deinstall the graphics/cinepaint. Afterwards I would complete the upgrade to the new version of libpng. Then I would reinstall graphics/cinepaint. This should be ok if graphics/cinepaint works with the newest version of libpng. From time to time the update is not 100% smooth. But fortunately this is very seldom.

Finished other libpng dependant ports upgrade. Still the same. Some details:
Code:
root: /usr/ports/graphics/cinepaint # make configure
Package dependency requirement 'libdrm >= 2.4.24' could not be satisfied.
Package 'libdrm' has version '2.4.3', required version is '>= 2.4.24'
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for OpenEXR... (version 2.2.0) yes
checking for JPEG support... checking for jinit_memory_mgr in -ljpeg... yes
checking for gzsetparams in -lz... yes
checking for zlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for libpng... (version 1.5.13) yes
checking for lcms >= 1.16... yes (version 1.19)
GTK CinePaint Version 1.0-4

General dependencies:
Gtk2 toolkit yes 2.24.25
DnD support yes X11/Xmu
littleCMS yes lcms 1.19
Oyranos yes oyranos 0.9.5

Plug-ins with external dependencies:
Python plug-in: yes python2.7
OpenEXR plug-in: yes OpenEXR 2.2.0
Tiff plug-in: yes
PNG plug-in: yes libpng 1.5.13
Jpeg plug-in: yes
Print plug-in: no
FLTK dependent plug-ins: yes bracketing_to_hdr collect pdf
Thread dependent plug-ins: yes icc_examin
Flex dependent plug-ins: yes iol

root:/usr/ports # pkgconf --modversion libdrm
root:/usr/ports # pkgconf --modversion libpng
root:/usr/ports # pkgconf --modversion lcms
root:/usr/ports # pkgconf --modversion OpenEXR

How about using portmaster graphics/cinepaint This tool should be more smart than just make to resolve the dependencies.

Regarding the output you have posted I am not sure how this can happen. As far as I remember somebody has mentioned that there exist different databases for different update tools. Therefore there might be issues when mixing the usage of portmaster and portupgrade. Unfortunately details are out of my current knowledge.

Maybe, I overlooked something, but I wonder where libdrm comes from, it's no dependency graphics/cinepaint.
And on my system make configure doesn't look for this.
I've no idea. Moreover, configure script also searches for some elektra which is totally unknown subject for me. There's no such port also. It checks for libdrm between checks for Gtk2 and locale.h. And for elektra (several times with word "required") between /usr/local/bin/oyranos-config and /usr/local/bin/fltk-config.
Code:
checking for Gtk2... (version 2.24.25) yes
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking for oyranos-config... /usr/local/bin/oyranos-config
Package elektra was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `elektra.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package 'elektra', required by 'world', not found
checking for fltk-config... /usr/local/bin/fltk-config
I suppose that something's wrong with my autotools, but I don't know how to fix it. I've done portupgrade -f for pkgconf, auto\* and other ports with no luck.

It don't really think this will solve the problem, but try turn off oyranos option. Should be turned off per default.

Yes, and I've reupdated it once more. I've portupgrade -f about zillion of ports that supposedly can somehow be related to png or (auto-)build tools, but with no luck. But also I noticed that during some "updates" complains on nonexistent /usr/local/lib/libpng15 occured, but the ports continued to compile and install, probably making its work unstable/ unabled.

This thread seems to be going off the rail a bit. It seems, while I may be wrong, you are looking for a solution to a problem that may not exist.

If you followed the instructions mentioned in post #2 and all ports compiled and were installed successfully, you should be good to go. You will get some warnings that libpng15* libraries are missing when backup packages of the formerly installed ports are created. You can ignore those warnings. The newly compiled and installed ports will link to the libpng16* libraries which is the reason for updating all those ports in the first place.

If I am not correct and you had ports that would not update/install, please restate what your problem was/is so we have a better idea of how help you get it sorted. :)

Well, you're not quite right. I've done that portupgrade -fr graphics/libpbg step. I've redone it several times. Most of ports are built, but graphics/cinepaint, for example, couldn't be built, with strange configure output I've provided earlier. By the way, it stops building with error of not finding glib.h (also I've reupgraded glib2, gtk2, gtk3... several times and install step was done all the times). Also I can't start www/epiphany, although it compiles and installs, but it doesn't work:
Code:
(WebKitWebProcess:76918): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure

(WebKitWebProcess:76918): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading image 'file:///usr/local/share/themes/TraditionalOk/gtk-3.0/img/slider-horz-grip.png': Internal error: Image loader module 'png' failed to complete an operation, but didn't give a reason for the failure
And the error that prevent building of graphics/cinepaint:
Code:
In file included from protocol.c:20:
./protocol.h:23:10: fatal error: 'glib.h' file not found
#include <glib.h>
And again it has complains on libpng.
I'm totally sure that output of pkgconf --modversion (for libpng and other libs) should be the same from command line and from the make configure output inside of ports tree. (And I've done portsnap fetch extract also a couple of times.)
O.K. I've nothing left but making portupgrade -af. Let me give it a try...

To update the ports run portsnap fetch update. portsnap fetch extract is necessary to download it the first time. I am not sure if doing portsnap fetch extract all time is just overkill or if the result is different to portsnap fetch update.

To update the ports run portsnap fetch update. portsnap fetch extract is necessary to download it the first time. I am not sure if doing portsnap fetch extract all time is just overkill or if the result is different to portsnap fetch update.
Yes, usually I do portsnap fetch update, but when nothing is of help, I've made portsnap fetch extract.

This error I think I know - I had the chaos with the glib-header files short times ago:

I solved it deinstalled devel/glib20 and removed all header-files (*.h) from /usr/local/include/glib-2.0/ and /usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include/ directories per hand. After this I reinstalled devel/glib20.

Thank you, but this time it did not help, make deinstall was clean with no leftovers in /usr/local/include/glib-2.0 or /usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include and make install didn't solve my graphics/cinepaint problem.

Dear YuryG,
I have installed graphics/cinepaint on a backup installation which is only a few days old, just to see if it works. I have launched portmaster graphics/cinepaint and accepted all default settings. Everything went smooth. Therefore I think that there should be no severe issue with graphics/cinepaint.

Would it be an option for you to do a fresh install on a hopefully spare disk and re-install everything by ports step by step? Or do you have a clean backup to re-start from?
If not please carefully re-check /usr/ports/UPDATING. There might be something you have overlooked.

By the way, I found that running a backup on a spare drive build in a computer is very fast and recovery from some unlucky situation is rather simple. A second drive requires no hassle with boot managers because the boot disk can be selected at start up. It is also useful to ensure from time to time that the backups can be restored somehow. Of course it does not replace backup on additional external media. But it needs just the drive, partitions to hold a FreeBSD installation and an additional partition to store the backups.

Dear YuryG,
I have installed graphics/cinepaint on a backup installation which is only a few days old, just to see if it works. I have launched portmaster graphics/cinepaint and accepted all default settings. Everything went smooth. Therefore I think that there should be no severe issue with graphics/cinepaint.

Would it be an option for you to do a fresh install on a hopefully spare disk and re-install everything by ports step by step? Or do you have a clean backup to re-start from?
If not please carefully re-check /usr/ports/UPDATING. There might be something you have overlooked.

By the way, I found that running a backup on a spare drive build in a computer is very fast and recovery from some unlucky situation is rather simple. A second drive requires no hassle with boot managers because the boot disk can be selected at start up. It is also useful to ensure from time to time that the backups can be restored somehow. Of course it does not replace backup on additional external media. But it needs just the drive, partitions to hold a FreeBSD installation and an additional partition to store the backups.

chrbr, a fresh install is very rarely needed with FreeBSD as it's much more flexible than a Windows install and really, why go through all the trouble if you don't have to ;). I also installed graphics/cinepaint in a test environment and had no problems with it installing it. :)

YuryG, please install the sysutils/bsdadminscripts port, run pkg_libchk, and post the output. If there happens to be a very long list(hopefully there won't be), please instead post the output of that command to http://pastebin.com or a similar website and include a link to the url in your post.

Dear protocelt,
chrbr, a fresh install is very rarely needed with FreeBSD as it's much more flexible than a Windows install and really, why go through all the trouble if you don't have to ;)
I think a FreeBSD installation is done quite fast if all the personal configuration files are carefully backed up. But I agree that it is definitely better to fix the issue because a new installation does not result in any learning at all. It just kicks the user back to the start.

I'm on 9-STABLE and had problems updating several ports (www/firefox, mail/thunderbird, editors/vim, etc.). All of them failed with very strange errors (i.e. "glib.h not found" for Firefox, Vim claimed it wasn't compiled with GUI support after I edited the pkg-plist to "fix" the build errors, etc.).

The solution was to portupgrade graphics/gdk-pixbuf2 first.

I'm on 9-STABLE and had problems updating several ports (www/firefox, mail/thunderbird, editors/vim, etc.). All of them failed with very strange errors (i.e. "glib.h not found" for Firefox, Vim claimed it wasn't compiled with GUI support after I edited the pkg-plist to "fix" the build errors, etc.).

The solution was to portupgrade graphics/gdk-pixbuf2 first.
Yes, I've done portupgrade -f graphics/gdk-pixbuf2 one of the firsts, without luck. More than that, now I've finished such a painful process as portupgrade -fa. The now present graphics/cinepaint problem emerged about upgrade to x11/gnome3 (quite painful too) from the second version. (With almost immediate flight to x11/mate, because I couldn't cope with a buggy, unusuable and lacking of options thing.) Before it I could use graphics/cinepaint for 16bit-channel image work.
In the process of upgrading I've noticed that somehow there were "very old" versions of auto\* pkgs present (with numbers, tildes and "pkg" in their names). I've pkg delete them with the succeeding portupgrade -f auto\*

So, now I've portupgraded everything, but the same problem stayed. Where can it get references to old libpng? Or old libdrm? Now I'm almost sure it's a autotools (automake, autoconfig) related problem.

And I'm on 9.3-RELEASE, by the way.

chrbr, a fresh install is very rarely needed with FreeBSD as it's much more flexible than a Windows install and really, why go through all the trouble if you don't have to ;). I also installed graphics/cinepaint in a test environment and had no problems with it installing it. :)

YuryG, please install the sysutils/bsdadminscripts port, run pkg_libchk, and post the output. If there happens to be a very long list(hopefully there won't be), please instead post the output of that command to http://pastebin.com or a similar website and include a link to the url in your post.
Yes, I have it installed, and use it from time to time. Now it's better than ever:
Code:
# pkg_libchk
libreoffice-4.3.5_2: /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/program/libofficebean.so misses libjawt.so

This one, you can forget. It's a well-known "false positive" from pkg_libchk.

( You can fix it, if you change the line 211 in /usr/local/sbin/pkg_libchk from
Code:
grep -E "^[[:space:]]*OS/ABI:[[:space:]]*UNIX - $osname\$" \
grep -E "^[[:space:]]*OS/ABI:[[:space:]]*UNIX - $osname\\$" \
- two slashes before the $-sign at the end of the line).

Back