Solved gop set (nor mode) load from /boot/loader.rc.local at boot (manual works)

I've run into a conundrum. I can use option "3. Escape to loader prompt" at the boot menu and enter either gop set 12 (it's valid) or mode 3 (also valid), and it will change the resolution. But if I add either gop set 12 or mode 3 (tested both, individually) to /boot/loader.rc.local , then nothing happens. It doesn't load those values. I can still go in and change it manually each time, but I'm kind of hoping to have it done automatically, as pointed out in this thread. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE, VirtualBox 6.0.8, UEFI boot (obviously), vt (default))

Use /boot/loader.conf instead for your settings.
Thanks!!! exec="gop set 12" added to /boot/loader.conf worked like a charm! I'd tried before, but without the exec= part. That was the trick (and also knowing that there is a bug with loader.rc.local. So great catch and information!!!

Now, if I can just figure out WHY, on my perfect (for my screen) mode of 12 (1920x1080), it does a double-return half the time. Makes it difficult to login in. :). Going down a size to gop set 6 (1280x1024) works perfectly with no double-return. Which seems weird to me that changing the resolution could cause that error. But what do I know? I'm a BSD newbie/oldie (now and like 30 years ago), so just learning. And I'll ask this as a separate question, unless you happen to know off-hand? Either way, thanks!

Back