Gnome Issues and Possibly X issues

Well, sysinstall installs binaries. Still you have to make sure it was selected as one of the drivers you chose. If you did, then I won't belabor this further.

This is all hand typed output. The * are not to scale at the end.
Code:
info: [drm] AGP at 0xe8000000 128MB
info: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730
gnome-session[985]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/rundbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[985]: CRITICAL: dbus_g_connection_get_connection: assertion 'gconnection' failed
Jun 5 11:24:01 bellsouth gnome-session[985]: CRITICAL: dbus_g_connection_get_connection: assertion 'gconnection' failed
process 985: arguments to dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block() were incorrect, assertion "connection !=NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3298.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library. D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a backtrace.
gdm[993]********************START**************************************
Jun 5 11:24:01 bellsouth gdm[993]: *********************** START *****************
gdm[993]: ********************** END ****************************************
Killed

waiting for X server to shut down

Are you sure hald and dbus are running?

Have a look with:
# pgrep -lf hal
# pgrep -lf dbus

Both should produce output.

This is starting to look more like a gnome problem than an X problem. Unfortunately, my gnome experience is limited. Does it work fine if you use another window manager or desktop environment?

Adam

SirDice said:
Are you sure hald and dbus are running?

Have a look with:
# pgrep -lf hal
# pgrep -lf dbus

Both should produce output.

Neither produces output. How should I fix this?

adamk said:
This is starting to look more like a gnome problem than an X problem. Unfortunately, my gnome experience is limited. Does it work fine if you use another window manager or desktop environment?

Adam

Nothing else installed. Thanks for your help so far.

Well they aren't going to start up if you don't have them enabled in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Alternatively, you can start them with 'onestart' to get them to start this one time.

Adam

You have to start these daemons in /etc/rc.conf. The easiest is just to add gnome_enable="YES". As an alternative, you can start them all independently with some loss in functionality:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
avahi_dnsconfd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

DrJ said:
You have to start these daemons in /etc/rc.conf. The easiest is just to add gnome_enable="YES". As an alternative, you can start them all independently with some loss in functionality:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
avahi_dnsconfd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

gnome_enable="YES" causes this lovely issue that made me go the whole round about way to begin with. My screen flashes from bash/command prompt/whatever its called and the screen with the busy mouse repeatedly.

haibane said:
gnome_enable="YES" causes this lovely issue that made me go the whole round about way to begin with. My screen flashes from bash/command prompt/whatever its called and the screen with the busy mouse repeatedly.

Odd. You should boot to a command prompt, then gdm loads a login screen.

I'd suggest you try starting hal and dbus daemons only, and see if that works. You have to have the ~/.xinitrc file containing "exec gnome-session" (without the quotes). When you boot, you will be at the command line. Check to see if hal and dbus are running (as mentioned above). Then execute "startx" as a regular user. Let us know what happens.

so I did the
dbus_enable="YES"
and
hald_enable="YES"
xinit: connection to X server lost.
gnome-session: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
Jun 5 13:50:24 bellsouth gnome-keyring-daemon[1058]: dbus failure unregistering from sesion: Connection is closed
gnome-session: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

I assume you rebooted after you added these lines into rc.conf. If you didn't, please do so. After you boot, first make sure that hal and dbus are running (see above). If they are, then try startx.

Back