Gnome Issues and Possibly X issues

Having trouble getting gnome to boot up in Freebsd 7.2 on a HP dv1240us. I have tried both nikobordx's method in http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3892 , and also the method where you just set gnome_enable="YES" in the rc.conf file.
Both methods have caused my laptop to load up to where freebsd asks me to log in as if X was not running, and then attempt to boot Gnome. When it tries to boot up Gnome it flashes between a black screen with a mouse cursor that is busy and the command prompt/Shell whatever you want to call it indefinitely. Is there a suggested fix to this?

Just tried stepping through the Xorg config again. I can start X by itself, but I can't do anything in it. My mouse won't work. It works with the sysinstall test daemon though.

yes I have read the sticky. Thanks for asking. That's actually what I was referring to as my second attempt

Please answer the following questions:
What is the output of $ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald status ?
Your mouse isn't working, what about the keyboard?
Are you using /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If so, can you show us the InputDevice section about your mouse?
Do you see any warning/error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (try egrep '(WW)|(EE)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log) ?

The above gives me no output when run as the standard user. I get no mouse or keyboard in X, but they both run fine in sysinstall. I did an autobuild of xorg.conf. the log fille shows intel (0) driect rendering failed. Failed to load module "i810" (already loaded, 2). Cannot locate core keyboard device. Cannot locate a core pointer device. failed to create listner for inet(but no internet was connected at the time). I am going to look at the xorg file

What after running as root the above commands and starting x again?
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start

Alright so I am back to the startx giving me errors with two xterms and a login this time. No mouse and keyboard that is. here is the mouse and keyboard section of the xorg file.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
             Identifier     "Keyboard0"
             Driver          "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
             Identifier     "Mouse0"
             Driver          "mouse"
             Option         "Protocol" "auto"
             Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
             Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

ale said:
What after running as root the above commands and starting x again?
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start

Same story. Login terminal and two xterms. I can't do anything in either

Got my mouse working... shows what I know. Read the Handbook solves everything. Option "AutoAddDevices" "false". Now I just need to get into gnome ;)

haibane said:
Got my mouse working... shows what I know. Read the Handbook solves everything. Option "AutoAddDevices" "false". Now I just need to get into gnome ;)

Add to ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
exec gnome-session

A startx will then start Gnome instead of the default twm.

SirDice said:
Add to ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
exec gnome-session

A startx will then start Gnome instead of the default twm.

so ee ~/.xinitrc . That doesn't appear to exist on my system

haibane said:
so ee ~/.xinitrc . That doesn't appear to exist on my system

So create it. I'd use vi, but that's just me.

You should also rebuild xorg with hal. You will need it. Do a "make config", select hal, then do a make deinstall, make install clean and you will have it. That assumes you have cleaned xorg before this; if not clean it first to get rid of the work files.

Well looks like I am most of the way there, but now I am getting
intel(0): ch701x not detected, got 29: from DV0I2C_E Slave 234

I *think* that is one of the Intel video drivers. If you are not using them, get rid of them in the config menu. If you are, then you will have to dig into it more. I'm still on nVidia 32 bit, and that works pretty well. Beyond that, I'm not much help.

adamk said:
Despite that message, does X work? If not, attach your full /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Adam

X server closes itself. I will attach the full file when I get time, but for now I can't type that much

You don't have to type the log file out. You have a number of options. You could switch to the vesa driver to start up X, for example. Or simply install pastebinit from ports, and use that to upload the log file to one of the pastebin services and then just give us the link.

Adam

Back