Gnome doesn't work and loads at start... how to stop?

Hi, I been trying to get gnome to work on my server. I had gnome start at boot configured in rc.conf This was always there before. I forgot to remove it when I did a reboot.

Now, gnome tries to boot at the start. It boots into a screen that says fatal error. It then after pressing enter goes to a black screen.

I tried single user mode using /sbin/mount -u /. I then go in rc.conf
and add # to comment out the lines that boot gnome. I then reboot and still when booting in regular mode. I still see gnome booting. I need to stop it from booting on startup. I went back to single user mode and still I see the changes I made were saved and still there. Where else do I need to stop gnome from booting?

Try letting it boot like normal then go into another console screen Alt-F2 and log in that way, make your changes. Not sure how you are setup but it sounds like your disk aren't being mounted with read/write permissions.

Please list the lines that you commented out in rc.conf.
Please also list the contents of files ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession if they exist.

Never mind got to the command prompt. I instead of commenting out. Changed the yes to now for gdm, hald... etc.

Gnome don't work. I have to figure out why.

I notice when doing a cd /usr/port/x11/gdm make install clean It results in a compilation error. It says:

Code:
libtool: link: cannot find library ' /usr/local/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.la' or
unhandled argument.

It then said about gdm-simple-chooser failed and all-recursive failed

Then says compilation unexpectedly failed. That is where it stops.

So, I think the gdm is broken. How do I fix this?

Back