• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Gnome doesn't work and loads at start... how to stop?

hockey97

Hi, I been trying to get gnome to work on my server. I had gnome start at boot configured in rc.conf This was always there before. I forgot to remove it when I did a reboot.

Now, gnome tries to boot at the start. It boots into a screen that says fatal error. It then after pressing enter goes to a black screen.

I tried single user mode using /sbin/mount -u /. I then go in rc.conf
and add # to comment out the lines that boot gnome. I then reboot and still when booting in regular mode. I still see gnome booting. I need to stop it from booting on startup. I went back to single user mode and still I see the changes I made were saved and still there. Where else do I need to stop gnome from booting?

gentoobob

Try letting it boot like normal then go into another console screen Alt-F2 and log in that way, make your changes. Not sure how you are setup but it sounds like your disk aren't being mounted with read/write permissions.

xavi

Please list the lines that you commented out in rc.conf.
Please also list the contents of files ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession if they exist.

hockey97

Never mind got to the command prompt. I instead of commenting out. Changed the yes to now for gdm, hald... etc.

Gnome don't work. I have to figure out why.

hockey97

I notice when doing a cd /usr/port/x11/gdm make install clean It results in a compilation error. It says:

Code:
libtool: link: cannot find library ' /usr/local/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.la' or
unhandled argument.
It then said about gdm-simple-chooser failed and all-recursive failed

Then says compilation unexpectedly failed. That is where it stops.

So, I think the gdm is broken. How do I fix this?