Ghostbsd

Hi all, yesterday I've installed ghostbsd because I wanted to see if my hardware works fine with bsd. I've a few questions for you. Ghostbsd is a derivate from freebsd, but there are difference between this two systems? I see that ghost use openrc as init. So can i use ghost like it's freebsd? can I use the freebsd documentation?

You can follow the documentation but it is not easy to see which parts of the system are changed or already managed by the system itself.

For example: You cant follow the building ports stuff from the FreeBSD documentation.

Not being familiar with it, I can't give a good answer. But someone will be quick to point you to the admin post that we're not allowed to discuss things that aren't FreeBSD, such as Ghost, Nomad, etc. The only way to do it is make it look like an I hate Linux thread because those go on for 5 pages.

The only way to do it is make it look like an I hate Linux thread because those go on for 5 pages.
Yep, and then they quietly fall into the trashcan after some weeks. You see, people will rant and vent. But instead of spot cleaning all carpets, you quietly change the kitty litter.

@OP: when your hardware is supported, brew some tea and install FreeBSD directly. Try it directly, that is the best advice I can offer right now.

Hi, can I use my ghost partition for install freebsd via chroot? So I can read the changes and have a freebsd system working fine from first reboot

Like scottro said, please read https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/ghostbsd-pfsense-truenas-and-all-other-freebsd-derivatives.7290/
Questions about 'derivative FreeBSDs', like GhostBSD should be asked on the forums and/or mailing lists for these specific products.
show that you have indeed tried to get a solution from the forum or mailing list of the FreeBSD derivative in question, you may be asked to provide a link to a forum post or a mailing list message demonstrating that you asked the proper community for help first.

That particular question is about installing FreeBSD, so I'd consider it legit, but that's just my opinion. Anyway you might be able to create a FreeBSD jail on GhostBSD (but whether you can or not is a question for their forums, not ours, or daemonforums which is about all BSDs). Or use VirtualBox, which should be supported on GhostBSD. (Though I don't know that for a fact, but I would think so).

But I would also say, if your system is handling GhostBSD without a problem, it really isn't hard to install FreeBSD and get it working. It should pick up whatever network you use on install and use that upon installation, whether wired or wireless. X takes a bit of work, depending upon what video card you have, but it's really pretty easy. If Intel or AMD you install drm-kmod, if Nvidia, you install the Nvidia-driver. As I imagine you're using either XFCE4 or Gnome on Ghost, that might take a bit more configuration, but really not that much more.

Tea timers are crucial once you want to have tea during coding, except if you like bitter tea. I even implemented a clone of kteatime in .NET, just to have this functionality at work as well.

Hi, can I use my ghost partition for install freebsd via chroot? So I can read the changes and have a freebsd system working fine from first reboot
To add something more useful here: No.

IF your installation uses ZFS, AND if boot environments are supported by GhostBSD (two "if"s I can't answer, partially because I never used GhostBSD, which might be the reason questions about systems derived from FreeBSD are off-topic here), you might be able to get bsdinstall(8) to install in a second boot environment, which will of course be much more cumbersome and require more knowledge to get correct than JUST installing FreeBSD the way it is meant. And BTW, I've never seen a situation where a freshly installed FreeBSD didn't boot and work fine.

My suggestion would be to use a VM for first experiments. This allows you to get a feel and learn some basic things about the system before installing it bare-metal.

Yep. Only coffee timers are worthwhile. Four minutes in a French press and it's done but the timing's gotta be right.
next time add a tbsp of cocoa and make it a mocha.

* Unrelated to anything here: but I just enabled dsbdriverd and cut about 200-400 mb off of my memory consumption, perhaps it cuts out the useless drivers?

I installed GhostBSD on my laptop a couple years ago. I needed a "Desktop PC" OS, and I love FreeBSD for its simplicity... but instead of going the usual route, I decided to install GhostBSD to see how the "Ubuntu of BSD distros" (for lack of a better analogy) was.

I actually love it, and it's essentially FreeBSD with a different set of repos for packages and some very minor differences of how you maintain and use the system. At its core, it's FreeBSD and you follow the same processes to get "extra" things set up, so the FreeBSD documentation is 95% applicable.

Definitely doesn't replace FreeBSD for me, though; I can tailor a vanilla FreeBSD install towards any sort of need I have out of the gate instead of installing a bunch of things I don't need.

sorry..I have to ask, some much talk about tee an cofee, but when you know with "the mate" is ready? ;)
When the water is boiling.

I make coffee in an open pan of water, take it off the heat, spoon in 3 tablespoons ground coffee, stir, let sit 5 minutes and they all sink to the bottom. Best coffee you'll taste and your mate will love it too.

Back