Solved Getting glyphs to display (cell phone "emoticons")... [android/iphone/cell phone emoji]

You know those glyphs everybody uses nowadays, those cell phone characters like smiley faces, hearts, houses and such? Like, there's useless ones, and I generally prefer ASCII smileys myself, but some of them are genuinely useful, like the cell phone icon, and the envelope glyph that I use in my e-mail signatures...

Like they display fine on Windows, probably on OS X, and on Windows and Android phones, and they work the same across all those platforms...

Does anyone know how to get them to display properly?

It's no big deal right now, I can still send e-mails, and the editor doesn't alter the character code stored in my signature, so when I send e-mails, it doesn't show to anyone, but I'd really like to have that feature back...

As far as I understand it, those are just codes that get mapped to a little vector drawing stored in a table (i.e.: a font), and I'm not sure how the other OSes go at dealing with this, but I'd really like for it to be available to us...

You know those glyphs everybody uses nowadays, those cell phone characters like smiley faces, hearts, houses and such?
They're called emojis.
Like they display fine on Windows, probably on OS X, and on Windows and Android phones, and they work the same across all those platforms...

Does anyone know how to get them to display properly?
They're just small pictures and are typically replaced by whatever viewer you use.

They're called emojis.

They're just small pictures and are typically replaced by whatever viewer you use.

I thought emojis were just the faces and stuff...

What do you mean they're "replaced by the viewer"? I know the text code is rendered by something, and that's precisely my question... what allows the character codes to be rendered as little pictures in the various (read: all) the applications I use wherever one of the applicable codes is encountered...

I don't know if you've used a stock cell phone or Windows computer recently, but the way it's handled is extremely consistent across all applications... wherever I encounter an emoji, I can just copy/paste it into any and all applications as though it was just a normal character (and it is), even though it's not part of say, the Arial font, or any font, really...

Where do those little pictures come from (I know they're not magical, it's okay...), and how do I get them to appear?

Like whether it's a phone, laptop, TV, ... anything these days shows those little pictures...

Whether they're good or not is irrelevant, they're obviously there to stay... I just want them to display... : <

what allows the character codes to be rendered as little pictures in the various (read: all) the applications I use wherever one of the applicable codes is encountered...
That's something the application does. There's no "magic" character set or something like it that does this automatically. It's all done by the application and how it renders the text.

That's something the application does. There's no "magic" character set or something like it that does this automatically. It's all done by the application and how it renders the text.
Generally speaking, yes, but there exist some glyphs too, I think fonts from x11-fonts/droid-fonts-ttf contain them.
I found when I chat with somebody using XMMP on net-im/pidgin, and the other person is on phone, instead of regular e.g. :) or :D I see real glyphs
emojis.png
I can paste them here, not sure if all of you can see them: . Their hex representation is 0xF09F9884 and 0xF09F9882 correspondingly.

I think there's something between the applications and the character sets... like the thing that translates the codes to a character... usually I guess they're limited to the characters within a single font, but I think that the characters on phones are in a special range, and that translator just gets the right glyphs from that special font if they're in said rage...

Otherwise very old applications like Internet Explorer wouldn't be able to display those characters, like it's obvious that it's not the individual applications that do that, there's something that's part of the operating system that does that, and as such, it would be more than possible to get that "modern feel" without too much complication...

Generally speaking, yes, but there exist some glyphs too, I think fonts from x11-fonts/droid-fonts-ttf contain them.
I found when I chat with somebody using XMMP on net-im/pidgin, and the other person is on phone, instead of regular e.g. :) or :D I see real glyphs
emojis.png
I can paste them here, not sure if all of you can see them: . Their hex representation is 0xF09F9884 and 0xF09F9882 correspondingly.

I'll put that on my todo list... I'm still trying to get more basic stuff going... thanks, though ^_^

Well those emoticons, emojis, glyphs, android emoticons, etc. are apparently in the font emojione-color-font-ttf... I just installed the font, and they display correctly whenever they're used now...

I don't know exactly how the markup works, but it's a simple implementation for sure... *shrugs* I would've thought it would've been a lot more complicated...

But yeah, if anyone wonders, just install x11-fonts/emojione-color-font-ttf.

Back