Get this damn cat out of my apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of last summer I took 1 kitty from street near my temp job to my GF house...
That cat already was used to people. At first I was very worried that it would pee everything around....
First day, I showed her the box with sand 3 times, by putting it into box...
I was very surprised, that cat understand what I mean, and it never pee on floor etc... it either goes to box or goes outside.

A very smart cat. I took it when it was about 4-5 months old.
Also at first I was scared from it, because I didn't know what would her reaction be over night... you know unusual place, probably scared.

I got lucky... cat is very nice, it doesn't like being held in hands, but it never scratches, it even waits for someone to wake up, and let her out, unlike previous cat, that would start to miaow until you let him out.

sixtydoses said:
I always thought it's more like a habit. Will neutering get rid of that bad habit?
It depends, some cats will keep spraying even after they've been neutered. But as I said, make him feel comfortable and he won't feel the need to spray.

killasmurf86 said:
At the end of last summer I took 1 kitty from street near my temp job to my GF house...
That cat already was used to people. At first I was very worried that it would pee everything around....
First day, I showed her the box with sand 3 times, by putting it into box...
I was very surprised, that cat understand what I mean, and it never pee on floor etc... it either goes to box or goes outside.
Cats are 'potty trained' by default :e
In all seriousness, a cat is a very proper and clean creature. As long as you make sure the box is nice and clean s/he will use it.

sixtydoses said:
I always thought it's more like a habit. Will neutering get rid of that bad habit?
I don't mean to offend you or anyone else, but I don't understand you people. It's not a bad habit. It's what cats do, *naturally*. If you do that you're harming him and his cat "Self": you're "decatifying" him.

Yeah, cats mate and fight all the time. They mark their territory on your cars, walls, etc. So what? Are they destroying property? Are they really bothering you in your sleep?
If they're domestic cats and you provide the appropriate environment, they won't urinate or defecate in your house or damage your furniture.

Besides there's no danger of overpopulation if you let them live their lives naturally. There was this cat more than 10 years ago, and virtually all the cats in the neighborhood are his children, and grand children and grand grand children. We've seen countless generations of cats.
They "kill" each others, they get hit by cars, an epidemic decimates most of them from time to time, and if it doesn't, winter takes care of it. In the end the best win and survive and natural equilibrium is restored.

Let animals live their lives.

Beastie said:
I don't mean to offend you or anyone else, but I don't understand you people. It's not a bad habit. It's what cats do, *naturally*. If you do that you're harming him and his cat "Self": you're "decatifying" him.
I understand what you are saying but cats need to be spayed or neutered. Besides, I think 5 cats is enough. I really, really don't want anymore. Especially not if you think 1 male, 4 females and an average 4 kittens per litter. That'll be 21 cats in a year. Those will get litter of their own.. etc..

It's called domestication. It's also called, keeping my sanity :e

Well, I've never had cats that I really *pet* as in keeping them in the house, potty train them and stuff. These are strayed cats, and am just feeding them (or I can leave them starving, naturally).

I live in an apartment, I can take it when the cat sprayed at my door grill, but how long can I stand when the cat starts pooping in front of my neighbour's door? Or should I rephrase, how long can the neighbours stand it before blaming me for feeding some hungry strayed cats (which they already did anyway)?

It really depends on the situation, sometimes I do feel bad for sending off the cats for spaying, but I don't think I'd rather see some hungry little kittens wandering off before getting hit by a car either. Cats don't have the 'pill', nor family planning ;)

sixtydoses said:
Cats don't have the 'pill'
Actually, there are birth control pills for cats. They work in a similar fashion as the human variant, except the dosage is once a week ;)

sixtydoses said:
Well, I've never had cats that I really *pet* as in keeping them in the house, potty train them and stuff. These are strayed cats, and am just feeding them (or I can leave them starving, naturally).
These animals were survivors for ages before humans even got out of their caves. You really think they'll all starve to death if you don't spoon-feed them?
They'll do if they get used to getting fed and petted by humans and they lose their hunting instinct/habit, in other words when you make them dependent on you.
Otherwise, they'll be hunting birds, rats, lizards, scorpions, centipedes, whatever they find. Sometimes even for fun and sports as it seems. That's what mothers teach the kitten during their first couple of months.

As I said earlier, I've seen countless generations of stray cats. Some of them died of diseases or hit by cars. But I haven't seen many just lying there, starving. We frequently feed them, but it's usually not enough at all and the Alpha Males and Females take the biggest parts and the others get the rest and complete their meals in dumpsters and drink from rain puddles and the canal.

sixtydoses said:
how long can the neighbours stand it before blaming me for feeding some hungry strayed cats (which they already did anyway)?
I've let a few in, and they never marked their territory inside (there was no other cat at the same time) or damaged anything. The "worst" they did was running everywhere and exploring, and hiding behind the computer. I was more worried they'd get electrocuted than anything else.

If these are strayed cats you're feeding, then they're not legally "yours". Even if you feed them. All you can be charged with is the pain in the ass neighbor crime. :e

Beastie said:
Otherwise, they'll be hunting birds, rats, lizards, scorpions, centipedes, whatever they find. Sometimes even for fun and sports as it seems.

I don't like cats, but my daughter does so she feeds this one stray and even set up a little bed and enclosure for it on our porch - it really get exciting when I bring my Rottweiler out for a walk!

Anyway, one cool thing I saw this cat do was hunt snakes. After it catches them it would bring the snake back to the porch and proceed to torture it. It would pick it up in it mouth then slam it down. Then it would bat the snake around with it paws knocking all around the porch. Then it would wait for the snake to move - then pouch on it and start all over. I watched it do this for 20 minutes or more. Then it ate the snake.

Beastie said:
Yeah, cats mate and fight all the time. They mark their territory on your cars, walls, etc. So what? Are they destroying property? Are they really bothering you in your sleep?

So what??? Really? So what?!?? You tell me that you wouldn't mind it if a mangy cat went in your garage while you were working 10 feet away and took a massive crap under the fishing cart? Or clawed your front screen up so that your house then fills up with bugs? (Yes, I caught one of the SOBs doing it at about 2:30 am - I was up watching TV and thought somebody was egging my house; turns out it was the cat hurling itself at the door and trying to claw it's way up the screen.) It's so bad that I cannot walk the the back of my own yard without watching where I step because I'll step in cat crap. And yes, they not only wake myself up, but neighbors 2 doors away have said they've been woken up by them as well. This happens 2-4 nights a week and from 1-3 times a night when it happens - very conducive to restful sleep indeed. I've been waiting for them to get into the cabin area of my boat and rip out the wiring; they do that and in the city or not, they're going away.

Cats are animals, not people, no matter how much PETA and like people wish to ascribe human characteristics/values/emotions to them. If you want to take care of a stray animal, great! Take it in and care for it as you would any other pet. (Of course my neighbor can't do this as her cats hate the strays. Gee, wonder why that could be? Just because she spends 2+ hours a night in the garage with them and now basically ignores her pet cats?) When you feed any stray animals, make beds for them in your garage, and leave your garage door open 24x7 for them so that they can come and go as they please, you're creating a problem. I don't know what happened to the rest of the stray cats we had, but we're down to 3-4 strays around my house now; I thought I was going to be hip-deep in cats by the end of this past summer the way things were going.

If you go by the theory that nature will thin them out, then you're not taking into account the fact that humans interfere with nature. If we hadn't, there would be more than enough natural predators in my area to make sure that the stray cats are either thin enough or wary enough to not be a problem. We had one stray cat in the area for about 5 years before my hippie freak neighbor fed it; it wasn't a problem until she did. Instead of seeing the stray cat and thinking that it was cute, I now hate it. Every day when I come home from work, I try to speed up and aim for the stray cats if they're in/crossing the road. She is the reason my attitude has changed to be exact opposite from what it was. I never used to feel this way and would go out of my way to avoid hitting an animal. My instructor almost failed me during driver's ed because I slowed way down for an animal in the road; now I swerve trying to hit one if I have the chance.

roddierod said:
Anyway, one cool thing I saw this cat do was hunt snakes. After it catches them it would bring the snake back to the porch and proceed to torture it. It would pick it up in it mouth then slam it down. Then it would bat the snake around with it paws knocking all around the porch. Then it would wait for the snake to move - then pouch on it and start all over. I watched it do this for 20 minutes or more. Then it ate the snake.

That is one freakin awesome cat dude!!! :) :D You should take a video of this and put it on youtube.

All the more reason to get your cat spayed.
I like cats and the occasional neighbors cat too but real strays can be a problem. A big problem.
Letting nature take it's course will mean loads of cats. They can eat almost anything. Even though they're so-called domesticated they're still predators.
Roddierod's snake story confirms it and I've watched similar with all sorts of other animals, mice, birds, frogs even insects and spiders.

Beastie said:
These animals were survivors for ages before humans even got out of their caves. You really think they'll all starve to death if you don't spoon-feed them?
There are thin starving cats that are dependent on human beings to feed them (am not the only person who feeds them).

I've let a few in, and they never marked their territory inside (there was no other cat at the same time) or damaged anything. The "worst" they did was running everywhere and exploring, and hiding behind the computer. I was more worried they'd get electrocuted than anything else.
Lucky you. Well in my case I only had one cat that likes to spray around, and one cat that likes to poo around x( . The rest are good kitties.

If these are strayed cats you're feeding, then they're not legally "yours". Even if you feed them. All you can be charged with is the pain in the ass neighbor crime. :e
While I can do that, it's just not appropriate..

DutchDaemon said:
Is that cat out of the apartment yet?

To say the least which is exactly what I am going to do. At exactly 12:34am I went to go find him and I did behind my couch, I went to go pick him up, he allowed me and he looked at me, I looked at him and in a calm voice said hey how's it going little g_..

No ambient noises nothing to scare him, out of nowhere he hissed went on a clawing frenzy on my arm and also bit my hand. I suggest you close this thread before PETA gets involved the cat's in a better place and doesn't have to worry about going hungry any longer.

I gave him all the time and comfort he needed, honestly we don't have a lot of money right now we went without some minor things to get him the litter, catbox etc. It's all in the dumpster now.

Close the thread don't ask questions you do not want to hear the answer to. Don't take in strays no matter how cute they look or how gullible your woman is either.

What a day I hope I start foaming at the mouth. I didn't deserve that. You may close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back