Solved FVWM - Getting Started

So, I keep seeing x11-wm/fvwm2 screenshots and I have only (briefly) played with it because the config seems so daunting. I built and installed x11-wm/fvwm2 from ports and am in it as we speak. Yes, the config is daunting so this is why I am posting. Can anyone (ILUXA!) point me in the direction of a site that shows modern config examples and themes for x11-wm/fvwm2?

I mention you ILUXA, mainly because you provided a working config example for "alt+left mouse" move and "alt+right mouse" resize, which works perfectly by the way! I am assuming you use x11-wm/fvwm2 so could perhaps point me in the right direction of some help.

I noticed many of the fvwm sites mention the configuration file .fvwm2rc , which I believe is deprecated. Is the syntax the same and only the file name differ from the current config name?

I noticed many of the fvwm sites mention the configuration file .fvwm2rc , which I believe is deprecated. Is the syntax the same and only the file name differ from the current config name?
Yes, it's the same syntax for version 2, which has been around for two decades since the late nineties. Some modules have been deprecated over the years, but nothing crucial. Plus fvwm is very fault-tolerant and will not crash due to errors in the configuration. It will only report them quietly on the console and happily load the rest.

I tried, I couldn't do it...after a lot of fiddling, I realized I really am not going to switch to fvwm because frankly, I don't like anything on my desktop and the config is just too much. Not beyond my ability, but I have grown so used to cwm that anything else seems odd.

Thanks for the help everything though, I do appreciate it!

Can anyone (ILUXA!) point me in the direction of a site that shows modern config examples and themes for x11-wm/fvwm2?
If it exists, I don't know where it is (themes from official FVWM resources are pretty outdated), that's why I decided to create my own FVWM config from scratch (it is commented pretty well, BTW). I polished it for couple years while using FVWM, because I found out that my "perfect WM quest" is finished and I don't think that I'll ever switch to something else, because FVWM is very stable, fast, extremely customizable, functional, lightweight... etc. IMO any another WM cannot match FVWM even partially.
For those who just started to use FVWM, of course manual page is a good place to start, also see my last post in FVWM topic, it's about bindings, titlebar buttons and FVWM focus policy.

I tried your config ILUXA and of the ones I have seen, like it the best. The windecs are perfect, it is well documented and the menu is nice. But...I hate having anything on my desktop so I couldn't really live with the pager thing fvwm has. I got spoiled having a blank desktop. The only thing on my desktop is a tiny instance of xclock digital. I may mess around with your config more though - your tips on how to resize and move with alt were easy to implement and I could fiddle with the config over time until I customize it to my liking.

Thanks for posting your config and the tips, appreciate it.

It's possible to remove pager and dock from my config, edit ~/.fvwm/config,
just comment "+ I Module FvwmButtons" in "StartFunction":
Code:
# FVWM start function
AddToFunc StartFunction
        + I Module FvwmBanner
        + I Module FvwmCommandS
        #+ I Module FvwmButtons
        + I Module FvwmEvent
Then change icons position a little bit
Code:
Style * IconBox 0 0 -0 -0, IconFill r b, IconGrid 1 1

Then you'll see only icons, no docks or pagers.
screenshot111.png
But 4 virtual desktops will be still available, it is possible to switch desks with Super+F1-F4 (or Super+PgUp/PgDown), to move focused window to certain desk, use Super+1-4.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Hi tulv88

I think that your config is a nice work for you. But personally I think that FreeBSD people should't worry about have a desktop like Mac or Windows or another system... FreeBSD is, and have a lot of nice WM and the necessary to be beauty and functional. But as I sayed, is a nice personalization work of fvwm for people that could take it to do another things.

Thanks for share. Regards.

Yesterday I started out of curiosity with x11-wm/fvwm2 and copied the default config from /usr/local/share/fvwm/default-config to my ~/.fvwm/config to get a decent view without immediately having to learn all. I'm very impressed with the speed of this window manager!

I also installed x11-themes/fvwm-themes, but can't find how to start it. Just typing it into a terminal doesn't work, adding 'exec fvwm-themes-start' to .xinitrc doesn't work, without the 'exec' or with the compete path same result.

Could any of the FVWM masters reveal the trick to starting the themes?

TIA,

[update 2020-04-13] Solved, I found it in this post on this forum...

Just as a heads-up, Fvwm2 is now in maintenance mode only. Development occurs on the fvwm3 branch:

Fvwm3 configuration is, again, compatible with fvwm2 ; the most notable difference is that FvwmForms are not supported anymore and should be replaced by FvwmScripts. Explicit support for RandR screens is a work in progress.

Awesome news, nice to see there's ongoing activity to keep this project up to date. I hope there will be releases in a reasonable time (so, not like the waiting for E17, or the still ongoing waiting for lumina-2), but as a long-time FVWM user, I do trust this project ;)

I personally like KDE/plasma, but any time my current desktop hardware isn't sufficiently powerful any more, I revert to FVWM and I'm very happy with it. Add a few things (FvwmButtons-based "taskbar", a "systray", automatic update of the menu, etc) and it's a very usable light-weight desktop :)

Awesome news, nice to see there's ongoing activity to keep this project up to date. I hope there will be releases in a reasonable time

I don't know about releases, but I'm using it right now. It compiles with a straight make ; make install without any problem (and does install naturally to /usr/local).
A couple bugs and regressions compared to fvwm2 (mostly related to multi-screen handling), but nothing major. It is stable enough that I have removed the fvwm2 package from my system and use the new version exclusively.

Back