ftpd

There's absolutely no mention whatsoever of the second field in /etc/ftpchroot being used as the new chroot directory.

Nokobon said:
so I thought I have to use the chroot option in ftpd.conf, which did not work.

Nokobon, just a question, were did you get ftpd.conf? If i'm not in error, this file DON'T came with FreeBSD installation...

I'm in error?

DutchDaemon said:
There's absolutely no mention whatsoever of the second field in /etc/ftpchroot being used as the new chroot directory.

Yes.. they wrote.. here:

---
The syntax is similar to ftpusers, except that the class argumen...

It's very clear.. :r
Maybe just ONLY for them! :(

That is not the same ... because ftpusers has nothing in the second field like a path or a directory; just class and directives stuff.

xer said:
Nokobon, just a question, were did you get ftpd.conf? If i'm not in error, this file DON'T came with FreeBSD installation...

I'm in error?

There's a man file for it. Note: ftpusers and ftpchroot are also not installed by default, but there are man files for them in the base system, which leads to people installing them and using them according to the man file. And then everything starts to fall apart.

{pure/vs/pro}ftpd all has virtual user support. No need to create system user account. Personally, I prefer vsftpd. It has amazing set of features and it is really secure and fast ftp server. Turn on SSL and you are good to go. It also support throttling, IP limiting, virtual ftp hosting and much more.

vivek said:
{pure/vs/pro}ftpd all has virtual user support. No need to create system user account. Personally, I prefer vsftpd. It has amazing set of features and it is really secure and fast ftp server. Turn on SSL and you are good to go. It also support throttling, IP limiting, virtual ftp hosting and much more.

yep! you got it, i like to manage quote too ;-)

again: i wonder why FreeBSD staff did not expanded native ftpd...

Nokobon said:
I don't know, all I can do is report the problem (again ..).

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused now...
Why is my original post deleted and why is there a quote of xer that I originally wrote in that deleted post?
DutchDeamon, did you do that?

@Nokobon. sorry, even though the Edit button is now red, I still manage to use it instead of the Quote button sometimes.

DutchDaemon said:
@Nokobon. sorry, even though the Edit button is now red, I still manage to use it instead of the Quote button sometimes.
Oh, okay...
So I'll try to remember what I wrote in that post:
I said that as in the man-page the option to give a specific dir to ftpchroot isn't mentioned, I thought I have to use ftpd.conf...

Thank you, xer!

vivek said:
So the standard FreeBSD ftpd is the only one where you have to create system user accounts?
I just use it because in "Absolute FreeBSD" it's the only ftp-demon that is mentioned, but maybe I should use pure ftp or one of the others...

xer said:

I'm in error?

I read in the manual pages about ftpd.conf and it's possibility to chroot a user to an arbitrary directory.
And since the file wasn't at the expected place I created it...

Well I'm not completely happy with the solution with ftpchroot.
Although I can change the root directory with it, I can't use variables like %d.
I tried to chroot a whole group with
Code:
@ftpusers %d/ftp
but that does not work, so it's not an entire alternative to the (theoretical) possibility in ftpd.conf...

Nokobon said:
So the standard FreeBSD ftpd is the only one where you have to create system user accounts?
I just use it because in "Absolute FreeBSD" it's the only ftp-demon that is mentioned, but maybe I should use pure ftp or one of the others...
I guess it is a bit outdated and may be overrated book ;) the best place to get more info is this forum or mailing list about any good server. Most UNIX experienced sys admins and freebsd developers hang out there.

HTH

Yes, shure...on the forums I learn very much.
But I think Absolute FreeBSD is a great resource for beginner,too.
Maybe without that book I would have give up early...

Nevertheless I'll see If I could get another ftp-daemon soon :)

Nokobon said:
Nope...doesn't work.

Well, then I guess you'll have to script it ;)

Code:
grep /home /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1"   "$6"/ftp"}' > /etc/ftpchroot

Back