ftp server passive ports

I use /usr/ports/ftp/vsftpd
man vsftpd.conf
Code:
pasv_max_port
   The  maximum  port  to allocate for PASV style data connections. Can be used to specify a  narrow  port  range  to  assist  fire- walling.
Default: 0 (use any port)

pasv_min_port
     The  minimum  port  to allocate for PASV style data connections.Can be used to specify a  narrow  port  range  to  assist  fire-walling.
 Default: 0 (use any port)

Hi Guys

I have been trying to change the default ftp port all day and just found this topic. Does this mean that the default ftpd (bsdftpd-ssl-1.1.0_2) in my case, does not actually allow me to change the ftp port?

I have tried:

/etc/ftpd.conf
Code:
PassivePortRange xxx xxx

and

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
ftpd_flags="-p xxx"
Both to no avail.

Can this be done or do I need to install a different server?

Also, is it possible to hide the version from nmap?

My choice is proftpd. many options, many modules, well documented and easy for customization -> /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd. Also there are some graphical interfaces for administration, for example in webmin.

Thanks Cryille,

I have had alot of bad luck trying to setup proftp or pureftp in the past, I am hoping I can just stay with what comes natively if possible.

Does this mean that the default ftpd (bsdftpd-ssl-1.1.0_2) in my case,
FreeBSD 8.1 Release
"bsdftpd-ssl-1.1.0_2" is the default ftpd in FreeBSD 8.1?

Well, from ftpd(8) ftpd in FreeBSD is using IP_PORTRANGE_HIGH for data ports, which you can change with net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst (49152) and net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast (65535) in /etc/sysctl.conf (a system wide setting).

BTW:
Personally I also using Pure-FTPd.

Back