freebsd-update won't update .cf files cause they changed

The files in /etc/mail freebsd.cf, sendmail.cf and submit.cf have changed, probably cause at one time I edited their respectful .mc files but it's been a long time. freebsd-update says these files are affected by updates but won't change them cause they've been modified locally.

I can make a copy but do I delete the original? will freebsd-update restore those files so I can redo my changes?

I don't know what I should do.

I can make a copy but do I delete the original? Will freebsd-update restore those files so I can redo my changes?
Yes, it should. I'd save the files somewhere safe, just in case. Then delete them and run the update.

For the future, you never need to edit those files for any reason other than merging conflicts that might occur on upgrades (and even on those you can just select install the new file). The correct way to use them is to let make create the host specific files ${HOSTNAME}.mc and ${HOSTNAME}.submit.mc and only edit those.

kpa I'm aware of that but these were set up three years ago when I first set up sendmail. So I may have edited the .mc files cause I didn't know what I was doing. Not that I do now but ... you know.

Clean versions of the .cf files can be found in the /var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/mail directory. Copying these to /etc/mail makes freebsd-update(8) happy.

Unfortunately, calling make install in /etc/make overwrites these .cf files again.

I copied one of those over to /etc/mail/ but that didn't fix anything. I noticed the dates were the same but the file sizes were different. A diff shows a minor change I made to include zenspamhaus.

Back