FreeBSD Style (the default style at The FreeBSD Forums)

Looking ahead, will FreeBSD Style (for XenForo) change?

To match the future style for the FreeBSD Project site. <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/627452> relates.

The header, as currently previewed:

1701989587371.png

For narrower windows, before and after clicking the hamburger menu button:

1701989782825.png

1701989833740.png

Looking ahead, will FreeBSD Style (for XenForo) change?

To match the future style for the FreeBSD Project site. <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/627452> relates.

Should it? I mean, must the forums match the 'official' project website? Even the 'look and feel'?

That would seem to imply some sort of administrative control of the forums by 'the project'. Is that being mooted?

I'm using 'FreeBSD dark' on a smallish android mostly, and I'm mostly happy with how it renders. Starting again would be challenging, especially if heading in the direction of the recent handbook proposals.

Mobile view needs to be more than an afterthought, and for me at least, Xenforo as now configured achieves that.

Here's one that doesn't work:

Screenshot_20231118-151039_Samsung Internet.jpg

Should it?

April 2021, in brief:

The big FreeBSD banner at the top should be the same as the banner at the top of the FreeBSD site. But because we can't embed it as an iframe (or something similar, due to security constraints, different sites, etc) danger@ copies the banner to various Xenforo directories (not exactly sure where Xenforo keeps these). The banner on the FreeBSD site recently changed but it hasn't been updated on the forums yet.

The full discussion, with some confusion — the first four responses overlooked the context (Feedback (about the Forums)):

April 2021, in brief:

The full discussion, with some confusion — the first four responses overlooked the context (Feedback (about the Forums)):

There are several aspects, as I see it: visual and functional style(s) in general; specific presentation formats for different devices; and content correctness, both inherent and linked.

I was referring more to the first two, acknowledging your focus on the latter. I took your initial question to refer more to style, but guess I mistook.

Your forum, your rules,

Not mine :)

My off-topic suggestion was clumsily worded, not least because this topic is already in the off-topic subforum. I realised it afterwards but couldn't correct myself until now (day job finished).

Back