FreeBSD Forums header area (above the Forums button) directing readers to oudated content (outdated Handbook, and so on)

FreeBSD website is doc/website

Sorry, I misread that as FreeBSD Forums.

https://cgit.freebsd.org/doc/tree/website at a glance, I see nothing Forums-related; and https://cgit.freebsd.org/doc/log/website?qt=grep&q=forum finds nothing.

To clarify, I'm referring to the links under Documentation at FreeBSD Forums:

2021-04-05 11:02:09.png

I'm not sure how XenForo works. To be precise, I don't know how Forums generates the menu, i.e. is it a scraping from the website src or a customised copy.

And no matter how it's done, it's probably a problem with forums. Either there's some automatic mechanism, then, this is obviously broken as the links didn't change just yesterday. Or it's a manual task, then it was just forgotten to carry out ;)

What issue? You're on the Forums page. People expect to go to the home page, when they click on Logo. In this case, Forums! The only unresolved issue:
This thread is still open.

What issue? You're on the Forums page. People expect to go to the home page, when they click on Logo. In this case, Forums! The only unresolved issue:
This thread is still open.
There's a misunderstanding here. Here's two examples of the problem, clearly marked.

Attachments

• forums_links1.jpg
    forums_links1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 133
  • forums_links2.jpg
    forums_links2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 131
Thank you.
There's now a longer title for this topic; emphasis on the FreeBSD Forums header area (above the Forums button)

1. "forums.freebsd.org" is not part of FDP i.e. /doc (web, docs) + manages in the base.
2. Although it happend that the "forums.freebsd.org" is a subdomain of the FreeBSD.org, but you have to think of it as a different website. e.g. "ForumsFreeBSD[.]org"
3. This Forums like every single other Forums has a navigation menu/bar (New posts, CP, etc) and of course a "Home" item too.
4. Traditionally, both "Home" AND "Logo" will "href" to the 1st page.
5. BUT: FreeBSD Forums provides an additional menu -- copied from FreeBSD.org. Why? To help users finding their way through the docs, man, src, etc.
6. Thus, now we have two menus: the 1st one, which is the "forums.freebsd.org" menu (New posts, user profile, etc), and the others is an auxiliary menu to the "FreeBSD.org".
7. BUT! now we have two "Home" items. One for "forums.freebsd.org", and another one for the "FreeBSD.org".

What's the solution?

* Most people are not Forums member -- they visit the FreeBSD.org. So they expect, "Home" item send them to the 1st page of the "FreeBSD.org".
===> "Home" item --> FreeBSD.org

* Forums members need a way to reach, to the home page of the Forums.
===> "Logo" -------> forums.FreeBSD.org

And to me, the whole thing makes perfect sense.

You can debate a lot where the main logo should link to, there's good arguments for both approaches.

But outdated links (especially to an outdated handbook) in the top menu definitely are an issue.

Really? Having a lot of links that are different from the same menu on the authorative main site is somehow someone else's problem? Just, no.

Reactions: mtu
I vaguely remember reading about this on freebsd-ports. It has something to do with the transition to Asciidoc. The /en links are the preferred ones, IIRC.
Part of the problem is that the old documents are still there, but no longer updated. Doing something about that is clearly out of scope for the forums, but would be very desirable, especially considering Google finds the old documents…

Still, what's in the scope of forums is fixing the links here, it really shouldn't link to an outdated handbook.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back