FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

Some words are offensive in one country and not another. The f word is considered particularly vulgar to Americans. When you use such language, on forums like this, you sound, at best, like a teenager trying to be cool. Reddit, and other places have a lot of younger folks, and their language and grammar is not of the best.
I do, and I suspect most other Americans on this forum also do, understand that in some cultures, it's not considered very offensive, but I would say to the average adult American, it is. Also, I have noticed that a lot of non-native speakers tend to quickly learn the bad words and get in the habit of using them. When I was first learning Japanese, I did the same thing, though nowadays when I speak it, I sound more like a typical male in my age group. The words that I thought made me sound cool in my early 30's and 40's sound silly to me now.

Anyway, please do keep in mind that to most Americans, the f word is considered quite vulgar. Sure Rap musicians use it all the time, but that's part of their persona. And now I'll gracefully bow out of this discussion.

Reactions: PMc
Hi, warm greetings to Bavaria (where I come from originally, too).
The Americans seem to have some serious problem with the f-word. I'm not fully sure about the wherabouts, but in distinguished discussions they seem to be seriousely frowned upon it.
Of course they are. Good to use the f### word in private. Bavaria is in Germany?

Reactions: PMc
Rock, yes, in Germany. They have their own f word, with an i instead of u and it seems to be conjugated, ending with en, at least in the old German Punk rock I would occasionally listen to in the 80's. One of my wife's best friends is Bavarian, and I never heard her, or her family (a bunch of her cousins came to NYC once) use either the English or German one, but they were all well educated. Actually, I've met many Germans, and aside from some punk rockers, haven't heard them use the word, though of course, I didn't know any that well, and it was usually through dog training, in which I was pretty involved in the 80's, so I'm sure they weren't necessarily representative.

That's a topic of some debate. Technically, the answer may be "sort of somewhat but not really". Technically, the name of the state is Freistaat Bayern, and on paper it is part of the Bundesrepublik (federal republic). In reality, most Bavarians like to forget that the rest of the Bundesrepublik even exists. Similarly, while the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg is technically a German state ("Land"), it looks down upon all the other states that are less free and much less Hanseatic.

The "free" in the name of the state means that Bavarians are free to speak their opinion of other people in Germany. Usually in strong language. For example, they refer to the northern parts of Germany as "Saupreissn", which literally means "Prussian pigs". One of the most famous Bavarians, Alois Hinger, used to use words such as "Himmi Herrgott Erdaepfli Saggerament" when singing religious songs (he was Heaven's official representative to the Bavarian state government, but spent most of his time in one of the beer halls).

One of the way these not-quite-German areas differentiate themselves is by using funny names for the usual political concepts. Most other German states call their parliament the "Landtag"; Hamburg calls it the "Buergerschaft" (literally the citizenry). Most other German states have a government or "Regierung", Hamburg has a Senate (senate): what in other places would be a Minister, in Hamburg is a Senator. Similarly, in most of Germany (male) politicians wear a dark suit; in Bavaria they wear a green loden (hunting) jacket, and for special occasional leather pants (Lederhosen). Here is a picture of their Ministerpraesident (chief clown ... ahem ... prime minister):
GettyImages-1026415854.jpg

Bavarians are very friendly and chatty. In particular after having a beer (they're big, see picture above), or several. Hamburgers are reserved and don't talk much. Most people survive with one syllable per day, which is to say "Moin" once in the morning (it supposedly means "good morning", but saying "Guten Morgen" or "Moin Moin" would be too chatty, better abbreviate it).

The real difference is the weather and food. The food in Bavaria is EXCELLENT, although quite heavy and full of calories (and cream and butter and sausages). The food in Hamburg is AWFUL: the national dish of the city is Labskaus, a milkshake made out of salted pork, herring, potatoes, and onion. The weather in Bavaria is terrible, frigging cold in the winter. The weather in Hamburg is worse, also frigging cold in the winter. I lived two years in Hamburg, and one year I missed the summer ... had a meeting to attend that afternoon.

Seriously: If you have warm clothes, they are all wonderful places to live. In Bavaria, you will probably gain weight. I have this really nasty joke about German food: It gets better the further south you go. If it is excellent, you are probably in Baden-Wuerttenberg or Bavaria. If it is superb, you have gone a little far and are Switzerland or Austria. And if it is unbelievably great, you have reached the Aosta valley (northern Italy).

That's a topic of some debate. Technically, the answer may be "sort of somewhat but not really". Technically, the name of the state is Freistaat Bayern, and on paper it is part of the Bundesrepublik (federal republic). In reality, most Bavarians like to forget that the rest of the Bundesrepublik even exists. Similarly, while the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg is technically a German state ("Land"), it looks down upon all the other states that are less free and much less Hanseatic.

The "free" in the name of the state means that Bavarians are free to speak their opinion of other people in Germany. Usually in strong language. For example, they refer to the northern parts of Germany as "Saupreissn", which literally means "Prussian pigs". One of the most famous Bavarians, Alois Hinger, used to use words such as "Himmi Herrgott Erdaepfli Saggerament" when singing religious songs (he was Heaven's official representative to the Bavarian state government, but spent most of his time in one of the beer halls).

One of the way these not-quite-German areas differentiate themselves is by using funny names for the usual political concepts. Most other German states call their parliament the "Landtag"; Hamburg calls it the "Buergerschaft" (literally the citizenry). Most other German states have a government or "Regierung", Hamburg has a Senate (senate): what in other places would be a Minister, in Hamburg is a Senator. Similarly, in most of Germany (male) politicians wear a dark suit; in Bavaria they wear a green loden (hunting) jacket, and for special occasional leather pants (Lederhosen). Here is a picture of their Ministerpraesident (chief clown ... ahem ... prime minister):
View attachment 18564

Bavarians are very friendly and chatty. In particular after having a beer (they're big, see picture above), or several. Hamburgers are reserved and don't talk much. Most people survive with one syllable per day, which is to say "Moin" once in the morning (it supposedly means "good morning", but saying "Guten Morgen" or "Moin Moin" would be too chatty, better abbreviate it).

The real difference is the weather and food. The food in Bavaria is EXCELLENT, although quite heavy and full of calories (and cream and butter and sausages). The food in Hamburg is AWFUL: the national dish of the city is Labskaus, a milkshake made out of salted pork, herring, potatoes, and onion. The weather in Bavaria is terrible, frigging cold in the winter. The weather in Hamburg is worse, also frigging cold in the winter. I lived two years in Hamburg, and one year I missed the summer ... had a meeting to attend that afternoon.

Seriously: If you have warm clothes, they are all wonderful places to live. In Bavaria, you will probably gain weight. I have this really nasty joke about German food: It gets better the further south you go. If it is excellent, you are probably in Baden-Wuerttenberg or Bavaria. If it is superb, you have gone a little far and are Switzerland or Austria. And if it is unbelievably great, you have reached the Aosta valley (northern Italy).

I sometimes wonder if Bavaria is on planet earth. We even have our own space program - see https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtsch...-15821182/markus-soeder-bei-der-15821261.html in a highly respected, conservative newspaper.

My local newpaper had this photo https://web.archive.org/web/2018101...rogramm-was-steckt-dahinter-_arid,440931.html and I have no idea which one is 'adjusted'.

I think that intent matters - f-bombs are primarily dropped as an expression of frustration, as in "I'm frustrated at this, and I don't care any more!" - which is a very apt description for a Turing-complete language that does get mentioned on these Forums without issues, and gives people headaches. ;)

in a highly respected, conservative newspaper
I would not call the "Frankfurter Allgemeine" conservative.
It is liberal, sometimes very ordinary.
It had a conservative mask, but it fell long ago.
Yes, respected, it was the best, but better and best do not mean good.

Back