FreeBSD GUI

You could look up the technical information provided by websites that review your computer.
Hi
From website: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool\Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad T450/ThinkPad_T450_Platform_Specifications.pdf

Ethernet Non-vPro model: Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V (Clarkville)
vPro model: Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM (Clarkville)

WLAN One of the following, configurable by model:
• 11b/g/n, ThinkPad 11b/g/n, 2x2, Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo adapter, M.2 card
• 11b/g/n, Intel Wireless-N 7265, 2x2, Wi-Fi + BT, M.2 card (WE only)
• 11a/b/g/n, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265, 2x2, Wi-Fi + BT, M.2 card (WE only)
• 11ac, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, 2x2, Wi-Fi + BT adapter, M.2 card
But my wifi card is not detected during install!

Thanks
Ravi

Ok that was good information to see.
Perhaps we could get the Intel Wifi working instead.
Remember how you mounted the memstick installer. Same situation again but different file to modify.
Boot to memstick installer and chose LiveCD mode
user:root
pwd:
mount -o rw
ee /boot/loader.conf
Code:
if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm7265fw_load="YES"
Hit escape key to exit and save this file.

Now you can reboot and run memstick installer and your wifi should now show up in list of network adapters. Interface name=iwm0
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=iwm&sektion=4

If this works you will need to add these settings to your new FreeBSD install after you reboot or at the post install shell.
(This is a shell provided at the very end of FreeBSD install, after Exit.)
Same instructions needed without the mount command.

Ok that was good information to see.
Perhaps we could get the Intel Wifi working instead.
Remember how you mounted the memstick installer. Same situation again but different file to modify.
Boot to memstick installer and chose LiveCD mode
user:root
pwd:
mount -o rw
ee /boot/loader.conf
Code:
if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm7265fw_load="YES"
Hit escape key to exit and save this file.

Now you can reboot and run memstick installer and your wifi should now show up in list of network adapters. Interface name=iwm0
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=iwm&sektion=4

If this works you will need to add these settings to your new FreeBSD install after you reboot or at the post install shell.
(This is a shell provided at the very end of FreeBSD install, after Exit.)
Same instructions needed without the mount command.
Hi
Ran commands in your post but still wifi adapter is not detected in Live CD mode!
Only ethernet adapter pops up while trying to install.
Thanks
Ravi

This thread looks like a mess ;)

I am able connect through Windows machine using same LAN Cable, in fact i write this message from the same machine!
So you run both Windows & FreeBSD on the same machine? Then in addition to what Phishfry said above: why not check the network settings of your Windows installation first and then use those on your FreeBSD setup? It's either static (pre-configured IP address) or dynamic (DHCP).

Sounds like the only problem which could go wrong is the issue of FreeBSD actually supporting your NIC but I seem to recall reading that it did.

I am using same cable on a MS Windows XP machine to write you this message, although sometimes it takes Automatic Private Address, but acquires DHCP IP after several reboots.
This is what worries me. I believe all this is for naught as the router is not configured correctly.
Trying to avoid dragging that work into the forum.

Just for reference the Huawei HG8121H is a FTTH modem router combo using PPPOE. I read a bunch on it last night but nothing stood out to me.
Just a few points that did.
WAN- Make sure it is not set to Bridge WAN.
In my world wired ethernet is always primary, wireless should be secondary. Just my particular feelings.
But I hate to start into any firewall rules or other settings. This is a slippery slope. Not for FreeBSD forums.

Bad thing is if I was onsite this would be done in 20 minutes.

Hi
I am able connect through Windows machine using same LAN Cable, in fact i write this message from the same machine

Perhaps Windows is not releasing the IP address, preventing your FBSD boot from acquiring it. Here is a conversation involving an Ubuntu + Windows dual boot problem, perhaps a similar situation:

This may be due to a flaw in Windows, which can be repaired easily.

If you have a dual bootable PC with Windows, and you've just used Windows, you may not get an IP address after a reboot in Linux. And so no internet connection.

This has the following reason: every network card has a unique MAC address. This address is ingrained in your NIC. The DHCP server in your router remembers this MAC address.

When you access the internet in Windows and then reboot in Linux, in many cases you'll get no IP address from the DHCP server in your router. Because this server will recall that it previously issued an IP address for that very same MAC address, and won't issue a new one.

You can solve this by forcing Windows to release the IP address, before you reboot the PC. By the way: Linux by default does release the IP address on shutdown.
network-problems-under-dualboot-with-win-7/808020

So you run both Windows & FreeBSD on the same machine? Then in addition to what Phishfry said above: why not check the network settings of your Windows installation first and then use those on your FreeBSD setup? It's either static (pre-configured IP address) or dynamic (DHCP).

Sounds like the only problem which could go wrong is the issue of FreeBSD actually supporting your NIC but I seem to recall reading that it did.
Hi
No i run Windows on a Desktop & FreeBSD on a separate Laptop!
Windows uses DHCP provided IP.
Thanks
Ravi

This is what worries me. I believe all this is for naught as the router is not configured correctly.
Trying to avoid dragging that work into the forum.
Hi
To rule out router issue i plan to go to a Cyber Cafe today and use their LAN instead to connect to Internet!
Thanks
Ravi

Just for reference the Huawei HG8121H is a FTTH modem router combo using PPPOE. I read a bunch on it last night but nothing stood out to me.
Just a few points that did.
WAN- Make sure it is not set to Bridge WAN.
In my world wired ethernet is always primary, wireless should be secondary. Just my particular feelings.
But I hate to start into any firewall rules or other settings. This is a slippery slope. Not for FreeBSD forums.

Bad thing is if I was onsite this would be done in 20 minutes.
Hi
WAN is not set to Bridge WAN, in fact there no setting for WAN!
Thanks
Ravi

In post # 33 and #36 your image shows a WAN tab right next to the LAN tab. Top of screen.
To rule out router issue i plan to go to a Cyber Cafe today and use their LAN instead to connect to Internet!
That is a good idea. Maybe you can find someone local to help with your Huawei.

That said, the problem seems to revolve around the router. Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but what exactly is preventing OP from bypassing the router and connecting their Ethernet cable from the computer directly to the modem?

I didn't have a cable router when I switched from DSL, the ISP only provided a passthru modem. I ran my laptops connected directly to the Internet for months without any connectivity issues. I only got a router so I could have more than one machine online at once. I don't allow myself remote access, have a restrictive pf ruleset and never gave it a second thought.

I ran my Windows 98 machine directly facing the net with ConSeal PC Firewall using dial-up and no router. That was an adventure and a learning experience. FreeBSD is primarily used as a server and I have much more confidence in it. I felt just as comfortable running it direct connection as with my router.

It's a combo device called ONT or GPON Terminal. So it is PPPoE modem and router combined, plus Wifi AP. Fiber to the House.
Has one RG45 LAN port and one Phone Jack for VoIP. Fiber Input for service.

Other issues I read about include CGNAT mode used with some carriers.
Usually I would say just reset the router and start over but PPPoE uses login credentials so it gets more complicated.

We never saw the devices static DHCP page either so maybe something there is wrong.
I hesitate to go much further. I thought the user was switching out hard drive trays between FreeBSD and Windows XP but his last post seems to indicate something different.
It is not a FreeBSD problem in my opinion.
Personally I would put pfSense behind the device and call it a day.

This thread looks like a mess
Tag your it!
What did you expect with SirDice being away!!! He seems to be the glue that holds the place together.
Having 20 years experience don't hurt either.
For me researching others problems has been a great way to learn FreeBSD.
I am still learning new tricks with every person I help (or hurt!).
Maybe I am at the point where I know just enough to be dangerous.

In post # 33 and #36 your image shows a WAN tab right next to the LAN tab. Top of screen.

That is a good idea. Maybe you can find someone local to help with your Huawei.
Hi

I went to a Cyber Cafe,checked with their LAN Cable in my Laptop, it started to toggle between: em0 link state down->up then up->down, with a gap of some seconds. So, It looks like my router is OK. Further, it is something to do with FreeBSD 11.2 Software itself! This may be a Bug or a Configuration issue.
Thanks
Ravi

Whats your network card model?
Hi
pciconf -lv reveals,
iwm0@pci0: 4 :0 : 0 class=0x028000 card=0x52108086 chip=0x095b8086 rev=0x61 hdr=0x00
vendor = ' Intel Corporation'
device = ' Wireless 7265'
class = network
Thanks
Ravi

Back