FreeBSD GUI

From here all you can do is give it timeout 300 seconds and if that don't work you must tackle the router configuration.
First start with Option 60=MSFT 5.0 for secondary DHCP server and blank it.

Good Luck, Signing off for the evening.

From here all you can do is give it timeout 300 seconds and if that don't work you must tackle the router configuration.
First start with Option 60=MSFT 5.0 for secondary DHCP server and blank it.

Good Luck, Signing off for the evening.
Hi
I tried above, also with router, still no luck. Same error! I still feel if we can look at logs, traces file, and configure during installation itself we be able to fix it.
Thanks
Ravi

If you don't want the boot process hang while waiting on DHCP, add this line to /etc/rc.conf
Code:
background_dhclient="YES"

Hi
Now I want to install FreeBSD GUI & Third Party Softwares, I can't find anything related to it in handbook. Please provide instructions regarding the same.

This website gives a good way to build your system with all the frills needed: https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/">. Not all software seems to be available through # pkg <package_name>, but terminal output will guide you with that.

My only remark on this site is on the way a regular user is added to the system groups operator and wheel. The provided method replaces group membership and it is better to use

# pw group mod {groupNameHere} -m {userNameHere}

For the rest: just use the Handbook and ask here as a second resource.

This website gives a good way to build your system with all the frills needed: https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/">. Not all software seems to be available through # pkg <package_name>, but terminal output will guide you with that.

My only remark on this site is on the way a regular user is added to the system groups operator and wheel. The provided method replaces group membership and it is better to use

# pw group mod {groupNameHere} -m {userNameHere}

For the rest: just use the Handbook and ask here as a second resource.
Hi
Currently I am facing DHCP Lease acquisition fail during install. I would prefer Network Availability during install!
Thanks
Ravi

Hi
Currently I am facing DHCP Lease acquisition fail during install. I would prefer Network Availability during install!

During the installation you were asked to provide some things to make networking possible. Otherwise see the Handbook and/or the Cooltrainer link I gave above.

Don't forget to check permissions for new devices on your router, possibility of double PI addresses etc.

Boot process does not hang, it just does not acquire DHCP Lease.
Ok, but it can speed the process up.

Have you installed FreeBSD in a virtual machine or on real hardware?

You can configure DHCP manually during installation. If you don't know the search domains and the name server IP addresses you can copy those from another machine.

Ok, but it can speed the process up.

Have you installed FreeBSD in a virtual machine or on real hardware?

You can configure DHCP manually during installation. If you don't know the search domains and the name server IP addresses you can copy those from another machine.
Hi
I am trying install FreeBSD on real hardware.
Configuring DHCP manually did not work!
Thanks
Ravi

Configuring DHCP is in the Handbook https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html">

With more /var/run/dmesg.boot or ifconfigyou can find out what network card is on your system.

The examples in the Handbook use 'dc0', but my box has 'nfe0' and another 're0', it depends on the card, the rest of the line you'll have to add to /etc/rc.conf is the same.

And don't forget to reboot to effect the new settings!
Hi
/var/run/dmesg.boot, has a graphics card that I already mentioned in this thread. ifconfig gives my network information but the NIC is not mentioned in supported hardware for FreeBSD.

Thanks
Ravi

Whats your network card model?
Hi

I cant find NIC in BIOS, closest thing is Network Boot in BIOS it is PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1553 (Ethernet Port), but this is not mentioned in the Hardware Compatibility List for FreeBSD 11.2.
Thanks
Ravi

PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1553 (Ethernet Port)

'IBA' is Intel Boot Agent, probably something different than the brand of your Ethernet card

Did you look / search the specifications of your computer for what card is used?

If ifconfig shows 'em0' then you could just try ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in your /etc/rc.conf

rraj are you sure the network cable is properly attached?
And plug out router for 20s and try again..

Also take a look at dmesg -a
Hi
Network Cable is properly attached. Also plugged out router for 20s and tried again but of no avail!
dmesg -a, looks OK apart from Graphics card error.
Thanks
Ravi

You can eliminate the router as a possibility by taking the cable that's plugged into your FreeBSD machine and plugging it into your windows machine. If the windows machine gets an IP and connects to the Internet, you know the router is not at fault and the cable is good. Just a troubleshooting step - seems very odd this doesn't work.

'IBA' is Intel Boot Agent, probably something different than the brand of your Ethernet card

Did you look / search the specifications of your computer for what card is used?

If ifconfig shows 'em0' then you could just try ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in your /etc/rc.conf
Hi

I do not have any specification documents, so the only option is BIOS which i mentioned before.
Modified /etc/rc.conf with above setting, dhclient em0 returns no link...........................giving up!
Thanks
Ravi

You can eliminate the router as a possibility by taking the cable that's plugged into your FreeBSD machine and plugging it into your windows machine. If the windows machine gets an IP and connects to the Internet, you know the router is not at fault and the cable is good. Just a troubleshooting step - seems very odd this doesn't work.
Hi
Already doing that!
Thanks
Ravi

Back