FreeBSD GUI

Hi
I have successfully installed FreeBSD command line from usb. Now I want to install FreeBSD GUI & Third Party Softwares, I can't find anything related to it in handbook. Please provide instructions regarding the same.
Thanks
Ravi

As a new user I recommend you use packages.
Hi
While trying to install port using commands:
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
make
make install clean
I get message Non-recoverable resolver failure, error code 1
Thanks
Ravi

Ravi - read the documentation SirDice is referencing - FreeBSD documentation is very good and is easy to follow. Recommend you read through all of the appropriate sections in the FreeBSD handbook before attempting anything on your installed system.

If you still have troubles, come back and post your specific issues in the appropriate forum section.

You probably don't have the correct DNS servers in your /etc/resolv.conf.

I want to install FreeBSD GUI & Third Party Softwares, I can't find anything related to it in handbook.
Freebsd is a base OS, on top of which third party packages are build starting from X window system. Follow the handbook and advice from SirDice properly. You may get lot of information by searching this friendly forum. This How To and other may help you also.

Check with your ISP.

Using an editor?

Please keep in mind that we don't spoon feed here, nobody will ever learn anything from that. You are expected to do some research on your own and it is expected that you know at least some of the basics of the command line.
Hi
I modified /etc/resolv.conf, with DNS entry. Now when I run /etc/sbin/pkg,
I get no address found error.
Thanks
Ravi

What is the content of resolv.conf ?

Is that a typo? There is no such file hierarchy.

What happens if you type on the command line ping 8.8.8.8 ?

Hi
ping 8.8.8.8, results in ,"No route to host".
Thanks
Ravi

Concerning ther internet, i would recommend that you configure it while you install freebsd from the usb the first time. As a new user, you will probably find it hard to setup interfaces for your internet. When you set up the internet properly when installing BSD, the installer will take care of setting up the interface for you. If you decide to go with wifi, you definitely need to install wifimgr package to manage easily different wifi connection. Secondly, When you setup your gui, i your recommend you start with gnome3 and follow the instructions provided in the handbook. As a new bsd user few months ago, i struggled a lot aobut all those stuff but it is after i started reading the handbook that I realized all the information you need is there.

Concerning ther internet, i would recommend that you configure it while you install freebsd from the usb the first time. As a new user, you will probably find it hard to setup interfaces for your internet. When you set up the internet properly when installing BSD, the installer will take care of setting up the interface for you. If you decide to go with wifi, you definitely need to install wifimgr package to manage easily different wifi connection. Secondly, When you setup your gui, i your recommend you start with gnome3 and follow the instructions provided in the handbook. As a new bsd user few months ago, i struggled a lot aobut all those stuff but it is after i started reading the handbook that I realized all the information you need is there.
Hi

While Booting from USB, for first time I got message "DHCP Lease Acquisition failed", so continued with IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Router & DNS entries and thereafter installed FreeBSD 11.2!
Thanks
Ravi

Hi

When i run command: more /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep error, i get following output:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff80ff4550, 0) error 19
What does it refer to? Is there any chance it is related to Network Connection?
Also get message on console: localhost ntpd[51552]: error resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org: hostname nor servname provided, or not known (8).
Thanks
Ravi

Your VESA message is about a video driver. Your ntpd message reflects your internet down issue. if it said ""DHCP Lease Acquisition failed" you have a connection problem where FreeBSD can't even establish a connection for starts. I recommend finding out where the internet problems lies first.

Running ifconfig will show you the NIC ID. Mine is em0:

Code:
$ ifconfig
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
    ether 00:1c:25:98:39:22
    hwaddr 00:1c:25:98:39:22
    inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
    options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
    groups: lo
pflog0: flags=141<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC> metric 0 mtu 33160
    groups: pflog

While Booting from USB, for first time I got message "DHCP Lease Acquisition failed", so continued with IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Router & DNS entries and thereafter installed FreeBSD 11.2!
You should not have to fill in anything for DHCP connections. They are all passed to your computer from the upstream DHCP server. Adding wrong things here during Memstick Installation will break networking.
If you need a static IP then that is fine, but DHCP will issue a IP if you have a properly setup DHCP server.
So from that message it sounds like your network interface was found during installation but while trying to get a IP lease it failed.
I would start at your upstream DHCP server and make sure you have it set up right. Perhaps you are using a router to connect to?
Please tell us what upstream device you are connecting to. A switch/router or straight to your providers modem.

Back