FreeBSD forums and privacy

They probably record every packet sent to and from the forums so they can look for anything that says how bad systemd is.

I'm just kidding; are you saying that if you brows to https://forums.freebsd.org it first goes to cisa.gov and then redirects or when you get to the forums page you see that go out? are you sure its from the forum and not locally?

I didn't investigate too much but I am running Firefox with uBlok Origin and I can see there is a connection to cisa.gov when visiting the home page of this forum.

Funny cause NPR, the US public radio network, just had a guy on from CISA talking about security on the internet. So it might have something to do with security cause the government is there to help you.

Sorry but I don't understand why my browser is doing a connection to cisa.gov ? Is there any content from cisa.gov on the home page of the forum ?

Sorry but I don't understand why my browser is doing a connection to cisa.gov ? Is there any content from cisa.gov on the home page of the forum ?
What would be interesting would be:
reboot computer
start packet capture
first browser session, go someplace other than freebsd forums.
If you see request to cisa.gov, then it's not the forum, it's not freebsd.

Maybe try the experiment with and without ublok enabled/installed.

Well, the forums are hosted in South Carolina...
And, Uncle Sam has a say in where the physical wires get installed on his turf, and what nodes they connect to.

Oh, and lately, I'm seeing people post their own pictures for profile pictures, so I know what they look like. 😩.

Two minutes of looking at source, and: this comes from a member-posted link in the side bar of the front page:

1632765946844.png

In the source of the rendered front page, that is this:

1632766005578.png

So, a member linked to an article on that website. That's all.

Oh, and we track your vaccination state.

Yeah, sometimes people don't even realize that posting cleartext of an HTTP link is not the same as making an actual TCP/IP connection. Direction of the connection matters. Some of the forum tags do enable pulling in a bit of stuff from other sites (Like what dd_ff_bb did, or even YT, but that's not the same as other sites actively initiating a connection. If anything, thanks to the forum tags, we were the ones spying on cisa.gov for problems with Chrome that are supposed to be classified information. ;)

Nah, XenForo should be patched for those by now. There was a patch recently, but I'm too lazy to look for the announcement a mod made on these forums about it.

I thought it might have been me running certain commands that brought heat down on us:

Neither recognize initiate machine war or launch nuclear strike -DC, but I prefer sh.
Code:
# initiate machine war
sh: initiate: not found
# launch nuclear strike on California
sh: launch: not found

Oh, and we track your vaccination state.
They'll never take me alive. I haven't had one.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back