Solved FreeBSD does not boot into GUI

Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and the way it works(I mean, completely new; I don't even really understand what's going on in the handbook).
I'm mentioning this because I've searched the threads to find the solution to my problem and I didn't get half the things that were said,
so please be specific; For example: if you tell me to edit some files, please specify where I can find them.
Recently, I installed the 13 version of FreeBSD and tried to install the Xfce desktop environment.

I followed this tutorial, and FreeBSD just boot to login:

i didnt get any GUI loaded…

can somebody help me?

View: https://youtu.be/Ch_ZN6BlChA

I followed this tutorial, and FreeBSD just boot to login:
Ok, that at least shows the installation went fine. This is a good place to start.

i didnt get any GUI loaded…
Right. I didn't watch that video but did you have to do a bunch of pkg install ... commands? And those all worked fine? Even better. It means you have a perfectly good system to work from. We just need to figure out where things went wrong.

Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log exist? If it exists, you can post it from the command line like this: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
That'll help to find out what went wrong.

Hi Cingy Instead of sending a video, you should explain exactly what you did and what errors you got. Otherwise, unfortunately, no one can help.

Ok, that at least shows the installation went fine. This is a good place to start.

Right. I didn't watch that video but did you have to do a bunch of pkg install ... commands? And those all worked fine? Even better. It means you have a perfectly good system to work from. We just need to figure out where things went wrong.

Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log exist? If it exists, you can post it from the command line like this: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
That'll help to find out what went wrong.
Thanks for respond. Yes, I did a lot of installation in there.
At first, I try to copy the video only on Virtual machine - everything went very good, and it was working. But when I try that on my HP 840 1st gen laptop it's not the same... After all of these installations and reboot it just don't run into GUI.

And can I ask, how can I check if this “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” exist?

Typically one needs to install, via pkg install or ports, something like kde, gnome, or some other desktop environment by choice. Then add that desktop environments display manager's enable variable to rc.conf. However I think that's geeky enough for those of us who've been around UNIX for a long time -- I use CDE and add xdm startup to /etc/ttys (old school).

However I think someone should step up to the plate to build a meta-port to install desktop environment "x," desktop environment "y," or anything else.

Suggesting people willing to roll up their sleeves and get involved to build a meta-port for "x" and a skeleton port to maybe add the appropriate variables to rc.conf.

We get enough of these and they could be added to the FreeBSD installer.

Generally developers are pretty busy maintaining ports or source (I'm spending most of my spare time during evenings and weekends -- because I have a fulltime job that isn't FreeBSD -- working on Kerberos a the moment). I encourage people to get involved. (Also, I'm a CDE and Motif user. I doubt anyone would be interested in my choice of GUI, as most people want something newer or more modern looking.)

Put help wanted sign here.

Don't we already have that?
sysutils/desktop-installer

The problem is these ridiculous Reddit videos that people use instead of using the handbook.
Why a new X user would need a login manager is beyond me.
These instructions where we setup a desktop without user having to know anything does not advance your cause..
I haven't had to change my desktop for so long I haven't had to start from scratch since forever. I should spin up a VM and try this out.

You should always check if you can boot into a shell, then see if you can run a simple window manager like "pekwm".
If that works a more complex window manager should not be problem.
[ My take : Many youtube videos are a waste of time when you can write the same commands in a one pager, unless not obvious explanation is given ]

Back