FreeBSD command line wifi manager

My favorite command line utility in Linux was wicd-curses. That's what I used on the raspberry pi and in my devuan machines. But FreeBSD has bsdconfig.

I can see this didn't get anywhere on FreeBSD

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/port-request-wicd-curses.27398/

It's really not needed, a wifi tui. All the prior comments make it simple. I use the networkmgr GhostBSD port on some of my systems. On others I just edit my rc.conf and wpa_supplicant. But I'm getting all my cables run so I don't have to use wifi.

The good thing is if u edit the wpa_supplicant.conf after, you can delete the password also as it will be there on the next line as an encrypted format.
Shouldn't have to do that... an extra step to remember. Most ppl want to do stuff other than fuss with esoteric setup steps just to connect to wifi. And that's something that Microsoft/Apple/Android/Linux did resolve successfully. 🤷‍♂️

Shouldn't have to do that... an extra step to remember. Most ppl want to do stuff other than fuss with esoteric setup steps just to connect to wifi. And that's something that Microsoft/Apple/Android/Linux did resolve successfully. 🤷‍♂️

My advice for GUI wifi is this,

• pkg install networkmgr

curious
Code:
userx@FreeBeSssDeee.edo:~
$> wpa_passphrase "Starbucks WiFi"  >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
bash: /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf: Permission denied

$> sudo wpa_passphrase "Starbucks WiFi"  >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
bash: /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf: Permission denied

$> su
Password:
root@FreeBeSssDeee:/home/userx # wpa_passphrase "Starbucks WiFi"  >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
# reading passphrase from stdin

Passphrase must be 8..63 characters
But Starbucks is public wifi...i dont think would work with that. I was trying with only wpa personal password protected wifis.

But Starbucks is public wifi...i dont think would work with that. I was trying with only wpa personal password protected wifis.
Here's a Starbucks wifi thread. Helps?

It's not actually a Starbucks thread but a public wifi thread. Haha

$> sudo wpa_passphrase "Starbucks WiFi" >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
USE THIS: $ wpa_passphrase "Starbucks WiFi" "PASSWORD" | sudo tee /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

The above thing is not FreeBSD related. Its the same on Linux. The sudo(8) command does not support redirection. You need to use tee(1) for that.

Passphrase must be 8..63 characters
That is WPA* requirement - password range is 8-63.

I feel the same. 😊
But I agree with LibreQuest earlier suggestion, and since I "acquired" an unwanted laptop, I've happily been using:
Code:
% sudo bsdconfig wifi
... to connect to wifi networks. So far I've had no issues...

(and I basically always have a terminal open so maybe that works well for me... ^_^)

Back