FreeBSD 7.1 release

Hi! When i can see freebsd 7.1 release? FreeBSD team promise 13 October 2008.
** sorry my bad english **

mrksto said:
And simple question: Why?
Probably more important things to do, like working on the code. But you're right, a simple weekly or even bi-weekly update would work wonders for update and related project scheduling! :)

you guys should use -BETAs for the time being and report outstanding bugs (if any) to the relevant support channels. This will only help us :)

There used to be a todo page, which reflects some outstanding issue's regarding the release.

This page is not there anymore, has the location changed, or do we need to find the outstanding bugs another way!

regards,
Johan Hendriks

vermaden said:
Which is almost never updated :)

Updating the Release Schedule e.g: (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.1R/schedule.html) will attract more new users & more confidence for public on FreeBSD Project.

Yes. Developers may be busy with codes & other heavy schedules.
But still, finding time to update the right status at least once in a week, will give more confidence for all level of users.

Doing so will only bring added advantage to FreeBSD.

Developers, please treat this as my humble suggestion to improve the Grand work that you are already involved in :)

Thanks

The "busy coding" is a lame excuse. I'm a dev on a project and not informing of progress is pure and simple a question of being lazy and or uninterested in PR generally.

Writing a small page about the remaining bugs or generic info on what's cooking and what's not working yet would take perhaps an hour. Yes they're not paid, but it's their PR which suffers for this lack of info.

NOTE: I'm very thankful for all the work which they did, but that doesn't change my opinions on this matter.

Project Schedule Page Get Updated

Hi Almindor,

Almindor said:
The "busy coding" is a lame excuse. ... lazy and or uninterested in PR generally.

Yes; I support your opinion.

Actually a poll Feature is required in this forum :

How frequent do you like, the Project Schedule Page Get Updated ?
  1. Daily
  2. Between 3 Days
  3. Between 7 Days
  4. Between 15 Days

danger@ said:
you guys should use -BETAs for the time being and report outstanding bugs (if any) to the relevant support channels. This will only help us :)

cite:

WARNING: FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2 HAS PASSED ITS END-OF-LIFE DATE.
Any security issues discovered after Fri Nov 14 01:00:00 CET 2008
will not have been corrected.

where are you getting that from since freebsd-update should not work, and by the way 7.1-beta2 is still getting updates hence the recently released patch

manfred said:
cite:

Is that right? There's always the idea of installing Beta2 and updating /usr/src to RELENG_7 via cvs.

Kitche said:
where are you getting that from since freebsd-update should not work

<cite>
# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-BETA2 from update1.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be updated as part of updating to 7.1-BETA2-p1:
/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
/usr/src/sys/dev/random/randomdev.c
/usr/src/sys/dev/random/randomdev_soft.c

<cite>

susanth said:
How frequent do you like, the Project Schedule Page Get Updated ?
  1. Daily
  2. Between 3 Days
  3. Between 7 Days
  4. Between 15 Days

A weekly update would be great, and hopefully not too onerous for the developers.

Back