FreeBSD 12 Upgrade - Failed to delete folders/files

I just finished my upgrading to FreeBSD 12.

After rebuilding all ports and doing the last freebsd-update install command, it shows :
Code:
$ sudo freebsd-update install
Installing updates...rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl/man/en.ISO8859-1: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl/man: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man/en.UTF-8: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man/en.ISO8859-1: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man: Directory not empty
done.

Should I just go ahead and manually delete those directories? Also, should I delete the "nls" directory in there as well?

I've seen the same while I was upgrading my VMs today. I didn't see it on another machine that I upgraded earlier (but also today).
While I can't help you, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread since I didn't want to remove these files until I knew more.

Those directories are part of etcupdate(8), which is typically only used with installworld. Was this previously a -CURRENT or -STABLE that got converted to a -RELEASE?

Run etcupdate diff and etcupdate status to see if there's anything still left to be done. If both don't result in anything you can probably remove those directories.

Well, I can update for my situation as well. I updated from 11.2-RELEASE(-p?) to 12.0-RELEASE-p2.
I've performed in total 11 updates: 9 VMs running on 2 servers, 1 physical server and one physical desktop.
7 VMs (on ESXi, the other 2 on BHyve - probably not related) and the desktop had this issue and I might simply not have noticed on the other two.

It is possible that I did an update to the latest 11.2 before I upgraded to 12.0 on the first two that I did not do on the later ones.
I still have one desktop to do, I'll try to verify that if possible.

etcupdate diff results in a big diff, curiously as far as I can see it's all been applied already.
etcupdate status returns nothing

Is there a possibility to verify that everything has been applied already? I can do it manually, but I'm guessing this can be done automatically as well.

I have manually verified the diff file and all changes were applied.

What should I be removing? rm -rf /var/db/etcupdate/* ?

Yes, that looks good. If you're still somewhat unsure you can always rename the directory. That will move it out of the way, if you happen to get errors with some updates you can then rename it back or look through the data to see what's missing.

I just finished my upgrading to FreeBSD 12.

After rebuilding all ports and doing the last freebsd-update install command, it shows :
Code:
$ sudo freebsd-update install
Installing updates...rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl/man/en.ISO8859-1: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl/man: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man/en.UTF-8: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man/en.ISO8859-1: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man: Directory not empty
done.

Should I just go ahead and manually delete those directories? Also, should I delete the "nls" directory in there as well?

Trying to upgrade to 12.1 from 11.2 version and having same problem. Also I tried to upgrade 11.2 to 11.3 and then to 12.1. Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 was Ok but from 11.3 to 12.1 or 12.0 got same problems. I even don't know how to check whether the update went correctly or not.
etcupdate diff results in a big diff, curiously as far as I can see it's all been applied already.
etcupdate diff returns many text lines

Same issue upgrading 11.3-RELEASE-p3 to 12.1-RELEASE.

I deleted the /var/db/etcupdate directory and all seems well enough thus far :)

Anytime! I found out the hard way on my backup box. Without the directory, you can expect results like this :

Code:
sudo freebsd-update install
Installing updates...install: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/devd/iwmbtfw.conf: No such file or directory
install: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/rc.d/ippool: No such file or directory

Just had the issue again after upgrading a cloud server from 11.3-REL to 12.1-REL.

On checking, all the files left had already been updated, so I deleted the files leaving the directory empty for next time :)

I saw those same errors. Luckily I have a clean install of 12.2 which I can check. It doesn't have:
Code:
/var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man
/var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl
So it's most likely safe to delete them. In any case that's what freebsd-update was trying to do.

But the 12.2 clean install has /var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/ and a nls subdir. So you should probably leave those.

Back