FreeBSD 12 Upgrade - Failed to delete folders/files

Mayhem30

I just finished my upgrading to FreeBSD 12.

After rebuilding all ports and doing the last freebsd-update install command, it shows :
Code:
$ sudo freebsd-update install
Installing updates...rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl/man/en.ISO8859-1: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl/man: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/openssl: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man/en.UTF-8: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man/en.ISO8859-1: Directory not empty
rmdir: ///var/db/etcupdate/current/usr/share/man: Directory not empty
done.
Should I just go ahead and manually delete those directories? Also, should I delete the "nls" directory in there as well?

malavon

I've seen the same while I was upgrading my VMs today. I didn't see it on another machine that I upgraded earlier (but also today).
While I can't help you, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread since I didn't want to remove these files until I knew more.

OP
OP
M

Mayhem30

Is the FreeBSD development team aware of this issue? Are these file safe to delete?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Those directories are part of etcupdate(8), which is typically only used with installworld. Was this previously a -CURRENT or -STABLE that got converted to a -RELEASE?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Run etcupdate diff and etcupdate status to see if there's anything still left to be done. If both don't result in anything you can probably remove those directories.

malavon

Well, I can update for my situation as well. I updated from 11.2-RELEASE(-p?) to 12.0-RELEASE-p2.
I've performed in total 11 updates: 9 VMs running on 2 servers, 1 physical server and one physical desktop.
7 VMs (on ESXi, the other 2 on BHyve - probably not related) and the desktop had this issue and I might simply not have noticed on the other two.

It is possible that I did an update to the latest 11.2 before I upgraded to 12.0 on the first two that I did not do on the later ones.
I still have one desktop to do, I'll try to verify that if possible.

etcupdate diff results in a big diff, curiously as far as I can see it's all been applied already.
etcupdate status returns nothing

Is there a possibility to verify that everything has been applied already? I can do it manually, but I'm guessing this can be done automatically as well.

OP
OP
M

Mayhem30

I have manually verified the diff file and all changes were applied.

What should I be removing? rm -rf /var/db/etcupdate/* ?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Yes, that looks good. If you're still somewhat unsure you can always rename the directory. That will move it out of the way, if you happen to get errors with some updates you can then rename it back or look through the data to see what's missing.