Solved Freebsd 12, driver to use with RTL8812AU?

A quick google search found this driver on Github: https://github.com/s3erios/urtwm
It seems it's not included in the ports tree, so you would have to follow the instructions in Github to compile and install it.

Do you have the driver installed?
I thought that loading module rtwn_usb is enough.
Here is something about it:

I'll try to compile and install it from link you gave me.. thanks.

What loading modules does is, it tells the kernel to load a module file from the disk. If the file is not there, the kernel has nothing to load.
You need to install the module package first, then the kernel will be able to find it.

Of course, many modules are already in the base system and you don't need packages for them, but urtwm is apparently not one of them.

What loading modules does is, it tells the kernel to load a module file from the disk. If the file is not there, the kernel has nothing to load.
You need to install the module package first, then the kernel will be able to find it.

Of course, many modules are already in the base system and you don't need packages for them, but urtwm is apparently not one of them.
kldload rtwn_usb gives error:
Code:
kldload: can't load rtwn_usb: module already loaded or in kernel

So I thought module was already loaded.

I have just read the link you posted. Indeed, the rtwn_usb driver should support your adapter according to documentation.

First you need to see if the device is detected properly. After loading the module, see if the device is listed:
Code:
usbconfig list
Is there any related error message in the output of
Code:
dmesg

And also - post the specific error messages here (if any).

If the driver is loaded - verify this with:
Code:
kldstat | grep rtwn

Then you need to plug in the device and see if it has been detected:
Code:
dmesg | tail

Try to find the network interface:
Code:
ifconfig -l

Code:
~ % sudo usbconfig list
ugen4.1: <ATI OHCI root HUB> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <ATI EHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <ATI OHCI root HUB> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen3.1: <ATI EHCI root HUB> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen5.1: <ATI OHCI root HUB> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.1: <ATI OHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen6.1: <ATI EHCI root HUB> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x1241 product 0x1203> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen0.3: <vendor 0x170b product 0x0011> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen0.4: <Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen7.1: <0x104c XHCI root HUB> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen7.2: <Realtek USB3.0 802.11ac 1200M Adapter> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
ugen7.3: <GenesysLogic USB2.0 Hub> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (500mA)
ugen7.4: <Logitech USB Optical Mouse> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen7.5: <GenesysLogic USB3.0 Hub> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)

dmesg found no error, wifi device is found.

Code:
ugen7.2: <Realtek USB3.0 802.11ac 1200M Adapter> at usbus7

Maybe there's something wrong with my rc.conf

Code:
% cat /etc/rc.conf
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
hostname="DAW"
keymap="fi.kbd"

# Network setup
ifconfig_bge0="DHCP"
wlans_rtwn_usb0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

sshd_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
zfs_enable="YES"

.. or loader.conf..

Code:
% cat /boot/loader.conf
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
opensolaris_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"

# Accept Realtek license
legal.realtek.license=ack=1

# WiFi RTL8812AU
if_rtwn_usb_load="YES"

Code:
% sudo kldstat | grep rtwn
 4    1 0xffffffff829fe000    1d3b8 if_rtwn_usb.ko
 5    2 0xffffffff82a1c000    26fa8 rtwn.ko

Only wired is found
Code:
ifconfig -l
bge0 lo0

Seems that RTL8812BU is not supported, so I mark this thread solved. 5GHz WiFi dongle recommendation for FreeBSD is welcome.

Just a shot in the dark. Maybe try sysctl -a | grep -i rtwn and see if you can find some useful information. Also search in /var/log for relevant logs.
Maybe give this Github driver a try (but you have to unload the builtin kernel module first).
Also, getting the bleeding edge version of FreeBSD 13 might help detect the device. But all these are long shots.
Otherwise I have no further ideas, sorry.

.. or loader.conf..

Code:
% cat /boot/loader.conf
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
opensolaris_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"

# Accept Realtek license
legal.realtek.license=ack=1

# WiFi RTL8812AU
if_rtwn_usb_load="YES"

It doesn't sound like it would change anything in this case, but the line is mentioned in the urtwnfw(4) man page as:
Code:
legal.realtek.license_ack=1

https://bsd-hardware.info/?id=usb:0bda-b812 RTL88x2bu device not supported with a FreeBSD device driver.
Yes, that line
Code:
legal.realtek.license_ack=1
is necessary

I have posted 2 forum posts at forums.ghostbsd.org about setting up wireless connection manually.

https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=526 Edimax EW-7811un Version 1 that uses a RTL8192cu Realtek chipset.
https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=570 RTL8188ce PCI Realtek chipset

Use the following lines for testing wpa_supplicant with the Debug and Password debug printout options
Code:
killall dhclient
wpa_supplicant -d -K -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
dhclient wlan0

Manually issue the wpa_supplicant with the background Dameon option and dhclient commands
Code:
killall dhclient
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
dhclient wlan0

Back