FreeBSD 10 - worst release ever?

Yeah there is some twerp on Phoronix (not going to mention names because frankly he will probably get off on it).
If you look on his profile, every single post they make is a snide comment against *BSD.

For example, there was a thread on some sort of memory protection that Linux was apparently doing wrong and so all that fool added to the debate was "yeah, but it is still more secure than OpenBSD". So obviously, he knew that OpenBSD's main goal was to be secure so he just decided to randomly attack that flavour of BSD because it happened to be the most topical.

To be honest, I doubt the twot that made that website was anywhere near being a FreeBSD developer. I think he is just one of the "next generation" of young, over excitable youths to access the internet.
I can only hope that my generation were not nearly as ignorant or childish when we came of age ;).

Edit: This is kind of worrying but the future of UNIX relies on these kids to maintain it after we have gone haha

Most likely the guy volunteered to work on FreeBSD as a developer and got in for a trial but his mentor told him he does not cut it and should go, most likely because of bad attitude.

Its very vehemence makes it suspect. Whenever one sees a "FreeBSD is awful," or indeed, anything tearing down an operating system, the technical reasons given are often questionable. In the old days, I remember seeing a long thread (usenet, I think), about mutt and pine and someone saying words to the effect that people pull out all sorts of technical reasons to justify what is, in the end, an emotional decision.

Actually, this kind of includes attacks against this person. They have their somewhat poorly expressed, in my opinion, ideas. While this is the Internet, where one only needs to state an opinion, my experience has been different than theirs. Is FreeBSD slower to boot than Linux---yeah, and maybe this is due to systemd. so good luck when something breaks on startup and systemd makes it more difficult to figure out what it is.

Hardware support not as good as Linux? So, how does Linux compare with Windows? Does your doctor, dentist, lawyer, or accountant use Linux? No? Ok, so, by your criterion, after all these years Linux can't produce software for them? Etc.

I'd say, let 'em troll. If your friends pull up the article as a reference, ask them have they personally tried an Intel wireless card on FreeBSD, for example. The slower boot is true, but many sysadmin types loathe systemd and think that RedHat becomes more like Windows with each iteration, such as when RHEL6 crippled their text mode installer.

Clang is bad? Didn't Mr. Stallman express worry about its licensing as its performance was pretty good compared to gcc? (This is the Internet, so I'm not bothering with references, there was a slashdot headline that implied that, so, by this person's standards, that should be enough.

At any rate, if one looks at that article, it seems as if every point can be refuted. While English may not be their first language, and, married to a non-native speaker, I certainly understand, (and, when in a hurry, do the same thing), as soon as I see it's instead of its, I (and this is probably because I'm old) mentally subtract validity from the argument.
One of the worst problem with Bhyve is that you have to set it up BSD style (manual edit config files and reboot) which everyone knows is time consuming, tedious and prone to errors. We demonstrated this by doing an example.

I know many seasoned Linux admins who would vehemently disagree with their statement about text files. Sure, let's have a GUI interface that when it breaks, will be almost impossible to diagnose.

And so on.

I shouldn't even post in this thread, but I'm procrastinating before doing exercise. Anyway,

TL:DR

The arguments made are often merely opinion, and if one's friends read it and believe it, suggest they try for themselves.
Our ad hominem attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem) are a bad thing, IMVHO, as such attacks can often indicate that we can't provide good counter arguments, so we'll just attack the person instead, and might make the casual googler more likely to believe the article makes valid points. Speculation on who they are is a waste of time. They seem to have great dislike for FreeBSD for whatever reason, therefore, their arguments must be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't know if is the worst because I don't have so much experience with FreeBSD but from version 7 when I became FreeBSD user I never had so many problems with building ports as I have now on version 10.0.

fernandel said:
I don't know if is the worst because I don't have so much experience with FreeBSD but from version 7 when I became FreeBSD user I never had so many problems with building ports as I have now on version 10.0.

I have used FreeBSD since 5.x. I've never really been a fan of building from ports partly because my PCs lack the horse power to compile speedily and also like you I've experienced problems compiling applications. I really like the new PKGng package manager. First rate! :beergrin

kpa said:
JWJones said:
Wow, they sure have a bone to pick with the BSDs at that website. What's up with that? There's some serious conspiracy theory level stuff, there. Backdoors, PC-BSD is Apple funded to draw people away from Linux, etc. Tin foil hat, much?

BSD is not free in the way those people would like it to be. The BSD license allows the evil companies to "steal" BSD licensed software and make big bucks out of it without any obligation to contribute back to the open source world. That is what drives certain people mad because they are powerless in the matter and can only resort to trash talk.

Yeah, and it permits the authors, modifiers, and distributors not to publish the code if they so choose, while still having it under the BSD license.
But to my knowledge, none of the BSD projects really care that their code is being used for the production of proprietary software (after all, they ARE using the BSD license). And in a lot of cases, they actually seem proud of that.

cenu said:
kpa said:
JWJones said:
Wow, they sure have a bone to pick with the BSDs at that website. What's up with that? There's some serious conspiracy theory level stuff, there. Backdoors, PC-BSD is Apple funded to draw people away from Linux, etc. Tin foil hat, much?

BSD is not free in the way those people would like it to be. The BSD license allows the evil companies to "steal" BSD licensed software and make big bucks out of it without any obligation to contribute back to the open source world. That is what drives certain people mad because they are powerless in the matter and can only resort to trash talk.

Yeah, and it permits the authors, modifiers, and distributors not to publish the code if they so choose, while still having it under the BSD license.
But to my knowledge, none of the BSD projects really care that their code is being used for the production of proprietary software (after all, they ARE using the BSD license). And in a lot of cases, they actually seem proud of that.

Most of the code released under the BSD license is of sort that is not usable in isolation or can be easily turned into a product that you could sell. A good example is the BSD networking code that was ported to MS Windows, it is a building block for something bigger but does nothing alone.

What I wrote above about "evil companies" was in rather sarcastic tone if it's not obvious to everyone.

I don't take this guy seriously at all. I consider him to be in the realm of grotesque parody, sort of Top Secret, Police Squad!, Hot Shots for IT. As such reading his site is quite funny.

tankist02 said:
I don't take this guy seriously at all. I consider him to be in the realm of grotesque parody, sort of Top Secret, Police Squad!, Hot Shots for IT. As such reading his site is quite funny.
Would be really funny if it turns out this is Kirk McKusick on a trolling spree. You never know.

"If you spend a great deal of your time pretending to be an asshole to get a reaction from people...you aren't pretending. You are an asshole."
—Ed Brayton

I think we should all heed the usual advice of "Don't feed the troll". It's not at all unlikely that this person is reading this thread, and is therefore being "fed".
Certainly don't respond/argue in the comment box on his weblog.

Works fine for me. I went from 8.2 to 10.0. I did a fresh install twice. Once to gauge installation size, and another for the final layout. Rebuilt all of my ports, built a custom kernel and I was good to go. I haven't noticed any difference in boot speed. Plus clang compiles much faster than gcc. If the information doesn't come from FreeBSD itself or the forums, take it with a big grain of salt.

belated ¢2: I track stable, but I like the direction 10 is pushing the platform so a lump or two on release is shrugworthy.
While I did not enjoy the transitions pkgng & clang have treated me well. Rah team, all that rot.

Also, hi all.

Back