Solved FreeBSD 10.3 VM - Installation on Openstack

Hi,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 10.3 VM on openstack(ice house), I converted the VMDK to raw image and create the glance image.

1) The image boots perfectly but when I reboot the VM , VM halts at following message

Code:
hpt27xx: no controller detected.
hptrr: no controller detected.
hptnr: no controller detected.
( boot_verbose is enabled on loader.conf)

On successful boot I can see that hpt27xx was loaded
Code:
root@fbsd103:~ # dmesg | grep hpt
hpt27xx: RocketRAID 27xx controller driver v1.2.7
hptrr: RocketRAID 17xx/2xxx SATA controller driver v1.2
hptnr: R750/DC7280 controller driver v1.1.4
hpt27xx: no controller detected.
hptrr: no controller detected.
hptnr: no controller detected.
Note : I had created the VMs using Nova and Cinder commands

I do not understand why it works on alternate reboot.

On second scenario
(2) I have tried to boot the raw image using qemu-kvm it works fine all the time. it did not halts even after multiple reboots
It works perfectly with following command
openstck01#qemu-system-x86_64-spice -m 1024 -name fbsd -cdrom FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso -drive file=freebsd103.raw,if=virtio -net nic,model=virtio -vga qxl -spice port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing

Just to add

I have also updated the /boot/devices.hint file with following entries. But same problem.
Code:
hint.usb.0.disabled="1"
hint.usb.1.disabled="1"
hint.ohci.0.disabled="1"
hint.ata.0.disabled="1"
hint.ata.1.disabled="1"
hint.amr.0.disabled="1"
Output of loader.conf
Code:
root@fbsd103:~ # cat /boot/loader.conf
hptnr_load="NO"
hpt27xx_load="NO"
boot_verbose="YES"

My question from this error that why does FreeBSD use hpt27xx RAID and other SAS drivers for VM. Can we unload these drivers?

I think that the messages you are focusing on might be a red herring (in other words - you are looking at the wrong messages). What is the first lines of messages (on a successful boot) after the hpt* messages?

Hi,

Thanks for looking into. I have attached the dmesg of successful boot.

hope it will help ful for you!!

Attachments

• dmesg_working.txt
    26.1 KB · Views: 405
I think that the messages you are focusing on might be a red herring (in other words - you are looking at the wrong messages). What is the first lines of messages (on a successful boot) after the hpt* messages?

Did you get message , did you get any clue on the issue ?

Yes, I saw your message. No, I don't have a clue what the issue might be. Hopefully, someone with Openstack experience will read this thread and comment on what it could be.

did you reload the tools after the vmdk conversion ?

I created raw disk directly using following kvm commmand
using qemu-system-x86_64-spice -m 1024 -name fbsd -cdrom FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso -drive file=fbsd103-fixed.raw,if=virtio -net nic,model=e1000 -vga qxl -spice port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing

But when I import the raw to glance image and try to boot it using nova commands on openstack server it gives problems

walking your dmesg now.. don't instantly see what might be wrong to be honest.. seems legit

EDIT :
I'm positive it's not the highpoint drivers, since they merely probe and answer comes back negative, but have no clue what the issue is then. Don't see anything alarming whatsoever.

New image - install minimal - filebased restore of settings and packages an option ?

Finally I have tested FreeBSD 10.3 with multiple cpus on Openstack

Ideally it worked with Ubuntu 4.x kernel, Openstack Newton.

Back