FreeBSD 10.2 KDE4 login error

Strange. Why not let pkg automatically choose the repository instead of choosing one of the quarterlys?

Also you can make SSHing into your VM easier by selecting "bridged adapter" in the Network tab. Your VM will then have its own ip assuming you are connected to a router that gives out addresses via DHCP.

On a default install of 10.2, with default settings it seems weird that you would be getting these issues.

I think I know why now and it might be how I added my user to the wheel group because I'm not sure if I used a similiar command to the following, like pw user add jdoe -G wheel instead of adding them during installation or using something similiar to the following:

This adds the group to a user (without removing any existing group memberships):
pw groupmod wheel -m jdoe

To remove the group membership:
pw groupmod wheel -d jdoe

However, I think I redid the install for KDE and put my user in the wheel group during the installation.

Would you please start over, because you are creating quite a confusion all over the forums.
First, install FreeBSD without a desktop environment, set it up correctly and make sure you are using the proper documentation to have a working system.
Second, use one DE and if you are looking for one that is light try (ONE not ALL of them) x11-wm/xfce4 or x11/lxde-meta.
Finally, tackle one task at a time and don't rush everything at once, it's hard for members to help if they don't know what your goals are or if you are not providing enough information. Also, stay away from KDE, it's bloated and problematic.

Would you please start over, because you are creating quite a confusion all over the forums.
First, install FreeBSD without a desktop environment, set it up correctly and make sure you are using the proper documentation to have a working system.
Second, use one DE and if you are looking for one that is light try (ONE not ALL of them) x11-wm/xfce4 or x11/lxde-meta.
Finally, tackle one task at a time and don't rush everything at once, it's hard for members to help if they don't know what your goals are or if you are not providing enough information. Also, stay away from KDE, it's bloated and problematic.

I'm just trying to get one to work for me and maybe I did something wrong, but maybe the documentation is missing a few pieces of information to or I need to stay away from sources outside of this site and forum because apparently their getting me into trouble. I had kinda forgotton about being careful to check documentation and man pages to verify a command does what they claim it will do, so my appologies and bear with me as I learn what I actually need to do to get these working and find one that best suites my needs or application. So far I'm excited to finally be learning UNIX and seeing the difference compared to Linux. FreeBSD is closer to giving me the kind of Desktop Experience that Ubuntu provides me for Linux considering I have not had the privilege to use BSD yet or a true to original UNIX OS. I must say that Windows spoiled me a little, but also didn't teach me anything about what to do what things don't work out the box too. Even though, I started with MS DOS on the PC and only slightly used early versions of Windows. I'm sure my recent Associates Degree in Network Administration for UNIX/Linux Database Administration is helping too. My Minor in Programming is not helping yet, but thank goodness most UNIX config files are text based with directive and easy to understand lines that can be added or customized.

I just finally started over from the beginning by installing FreeBSD 10.2 today and then backing up at that point. Then I attempted to install each desktop from after the point of installing the OS and None of them would install or work for me except KDE and MATE, which still won't let me login. I can't find an answer as to why none them will allow me to install them or login either. I'm getting errors while using pkg about the package not being available though, but I don't know how to fix this. Please help if you can and if it helps I will post the code by ssh from terminal into the VM's for each thread corresponding to the respective Desktop Environment it is related to. I tried to ssh into the VM's with a bridge connection, but it's not helping and I can't think of why it's not. That's all. Please help if you can. I checked the /var/log/messages and didn't see any noticeable errors either.

Dear FreeBSDer009,
I started with MS DOS on the PC and only slightly used early versions of Windows.
In this case do not worry and remember the old times. Just start make things working which do not need any fancy GUI because this is the backbone of the system. An obsolete PC which someone throws away because Wxxx is too slow is usually more than enough. May be this is better than a VM.
FreeBSD is closer to giving me the kind of Desktop Experience that Ubuntu provides me for Linux considering I have not had the privilege to use BSD yet or a true to original UNIX OS.
I am not sure. In my opinion the desktop stuff is application. It should not differ too much between systems - if the systems work under the hood. Please do not want to achieve too much in a short time. Good luck, success and patiance :beer::).

Would PC-BSD be an option for you? You get a desktop environment out of the box on install. From there you can check out some of the config files to see whats in them. Its a good way to learn.

Although there are easier steps, this tutorial will give you a working FreeBSD desktop with a GUI.
http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/the-desktop

I second the cooltrainer guide! It is a very nicely written. Although some of it might be overkill if one is looking for a very simple desktop set up without all the bells and whistles. The desktop-installer works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I actually tried to use it today with KDE and its not always as straightforward. Last time I tried it with Xfce, it worked however.

Would PC-BSD be an option for you? You get a desktop environment out of the box on install. From there you can check out some of the config files to see whats in them. Its a good way to learn.

Although there are easier steps, this tutorial will give you a working FreeBSD desktop with a GUI.
http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/the-desktop

Maybe, although I don't mind having to configure if stuff isn't setup out of the box. The main problem I'm facing is that the package source links have changed, so pkg doesn't know where to find the files and I don't know how to fix this yet.

The following is what I need to do to install pkg, so I can install any of the desktop enviroments from now on for some reason and hopefully it doesn't get anymore complicated than what follows:

Code:
4.4.1. Getting Started with pkg

FreeBSD includes a bootstrap utility which can be used to download and install pkg, along with its manual pages.

To bootstrap the system, run:
# /usr/sbin/pkg

For earlier FreeBSD versions, pkg must instead be installed from the Ports Collection or as a binary package.

To install the port, run:
# cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
# make
# make install clean

When upgrading an existing system that originally used the older package system, the database must be converted to the new format, so that the new tools are aware of the already installed packages. Once pkg has been installed, the package database must be converted from the traditional format to the new format by running this command:
# pkg2ng

Note:
This step is not required for new installations that do not yet have any third-party software installed.

Important:
This step is not reversible. Once the package database has been converted to the pkg format, the traditional pkg_* tools should no longer be used.

Note:
The package database conversion may emit errors as the contents are converted to the new version. Generally, these errors can be safely ignored. However, a list of third-party software that was not successfully converted will be listed after pkg2ng has finished and these applications must be manually reinstalled.

To ensure that the FreeBSD Ports Collection registers new software with pkg, and not the traditional packages format, FreeBSD versions earlier than 10.X require this line in /etc/make.conf:
WITH_PKGNG=    yes

By default pkg uses the FreeBSD package mirrors. For information about building a custom package repository, see Section 4.6, “Building Packages with Poudriere”

Additional pkg configuration options are described in pkg.conf(5).

Usage information for pkg is available in the pkg(8) manual page or by running pkg without additional arguments.

Each pkg command argument is documented in a command-specific manual page. To read the manual page for pkg install, for example, run either of these commands:
# pkg help install
# man pkg-install

The rest of this section demonstrates common binary package management tasks which can be performed using pkg. Each demonstrated command provides many switches to customize its use. Refer to a command's help or man page for details and more examples.

Back