FreeBSD 10.2 KDE4 login error

I recently installed FreeBSD 10.2 and then installed KDE4 by following the documentation on the official BSD site, but I get the following error when I attempt to login to KDE4 when the system boots in run level 5:

Screenshot from 2015-12-29 11:52:46 cropped.png

What you don't see is that it rejects my password everytime even though it's right and leaves the username in the box while deleting the password in the password box. Then it doesn't login to the KDE desktop. What should I do now?

Last edited:
FreeBSD doesn't have "runlevels".

Are you able to login on the console? Are you using a user account or root?

FreeBSD doesn't have "runlevels".

Are you able to login on the console? Are you using a user account or root?

Yes I can login as the my standard user in the terminal and no I am not logging in as root into KDE4 because you should never login to the GUI as root especially when connected to the internet, since it would leave the system open to code hidden in websites that could corrupt the system as well as other malicious attacks.

I found an error in my edit for the /etc/fstab file because I put proc instead of /proc originally, but I still can't login.

Also have a look in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/Xorg.0.log and look for any errors.

Also have a look in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/Xorg.0.log and look for any errors.

Yes here is the output of the last 30 lines of the file below. I see at least one line that hints at what the problem might be, but it should have duplicated because I attempted to login twice before rebooting to allow me to access this file in single user mode after remounting the root partition with read and write permissions as well as making the file system clean with fsck to allow me to remount it.

Screenshot from 2015-12-30 11:15:47 cropped.png

Please, simply login with ssh(1) and copy/paste the info we need. Images make it really difficult to quote.

Yes here is the output of the last 30 lines of the file below. I see at least one line that hints at what the problem might be, but it should have duplicated because I attempted to login twice before rebooting to allow me to access this file in single user mode after remounting the root partition with read and write permissions as well as making the file system clean with fsck to allow me to remount it.

View attachment 2874

It appears as though the hald_enable needed to be set in the rc.conf file because it was completely missing from the file, but now I get the errors shown below in the screenshot:

Screenshot from 2015-12-30 12:00:25 cropped.png

One being the kvm_getennvv failed, so I looked it up and found that I might need to run zpool scrub. However, I'm seeing that zpool scrub is for the zfs filesystem and I'm using ufs, so should I run it or not. As for the other errors I see innappropriate ioctl for device, which when I looked it up I found this answer and no solution if it is a problem and if it is I don't know perl except how to use it to run a perl script:

"When Perl opens a file, it checks whether or not the file is a TTY (so that it can answer the -T $fhfiletest operator) by issuing the TCGETS ioctl against it. If the file is a regular file and not a tty, the ioctl fails and sets errno to ENOTTY (string value: "Inappropriate ioctl for device"). As ysth says, the most common reason for seeing an unexpected value in $! is checking it when it's not valid -- that is, anywhere other than immediately after a syscall failed, so testing the result codes of your operations is critically important.

If open actually did return false for you, and you found ENOTTY in $! then I would consider this a small bug (giving a useless value of $!) but I would also be very curious as to how it happened. Code and/or truss output would be nifty."

I have a book on perl, but I haven't got around to reading it to help me learn perl and I'm focusing on network administration not programming or computer science.

As for the last error "devd: notify_clients: send() failed; dropping unresponsive client". I suspect that is probably a result of the previous error and I don't know what to do about it either way.

Yep, you beat me to it. I suspected that
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enabl="YES"

may not have been loaded. I remember somewhere reading that the recent versions of xorg won't need it but as far as I know a number of the desktop environments do.

You may also want to try pkg upgrade -f to ensure that KDE has all the recent/requested versions of the applications it needs to run.

I know I've gotten bitten by KDE hiccups when installing many applications at the same time. Some applications get removed for whatever reason during install and then something fails to work as expected. This has happened for me with regard to VLC for instance. Its worth a shot.

You may also want to try pkg upgrade -f to ensure that KDE has all the recent/requested versions of the applications it needs to run.

I know I've gotten bitten by KDE hiccups when installing many applications at the same time. Some applications get removed for whatever reason during install and then something fails to work as expected. This has happened for me with regard to VLC for instance. Its worth a shot.

I'll will do this and get back to you.

Please, simply login with ssh(1) and copy/paste the info we need. Images make it really difficult to quote.

I don't think I can because I've tried in the past to ssh into VM's and it just won't connect, but I think it's because I'm not on my own network and I'm using the network provided as a courteousy at my apartment. However, I can switch to my own though, so maybe I will and do this from now on.

I tried this and I get the following error in the screenshot, so I don't know what to do now. However, I will look up the error and get back to you:

Screenshot from 2015-12-30 14:33:55 cropped.png

Problem #1: your KDE login issue is probably due to an authorization problem or a missing .xinitrc. If you don't have that file, try the following (logged in as non-root): echo "exec /usr/local/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc"
Problem #2: this link http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:amd64/quarterly/All/pkg-1.6.1.txz does not exist, it should be http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/quarterly/All/pkg-1.6.1.txz.

1. I already added that line to the ~/.xinitrc file as shown here:

Screenshot from 2015-12-31 00:27:55 cropped.png

2. Not even fetch can find the record for that URL as shown below and using pkg doesn't seem to help when used with the combinations I've tried:

Screenshot from 2015-12-31 00:46:44 cropped.png

I know it goes the command the option and the argument, but even that seems to not work.

1. I already added that line to the ~/.xinitrc file as shown here:

View attachment 2881

2. Not even fetch can find the record for that URL as shown below and using pkg doesn't seem to help when used with the combinations I've tried:

View attachment 2882

I know it goes the command the option and the argument, but even that seems to not work.

It would seem as thought the last command from the output below is the right command because upgrade was a command used with pkg in the same manner, but it doesn't work either:

Screenshot from 2015-12-31 00:59:43 cropped.png

I am able to download the package from that site using ftp/wget, so fetch should work. I'm suspecting you have DNS issues OR from looking at that computer icon at the bottom of the VM, you don't have internet connection.

Please post the output of the following:
ping -c 5 8.8.8.8
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf

Also, does your VM have a hostname?

I am able to download the package from that site using ftp/wget, so fetch should work. I'm suspecting you have DNS issues OR from looking at that computer icon at the bottom of the VM, you don't have internet connection.

Please post the output of the following:
ping -c 5 8.8.8.8
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf

Also, does your VM have a hostname?

Here is the output of the ping command:

Screenshot from 2015-12-31 02:17:17 cropped.png

I'm not posting the output of the cat on /etc/resolv.conf, but rest assured it is a private ipv4 address in the 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255 range.

The output of the cat on /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf is here:

Screenshot from 2015-12-31 02:18:52 cropped.png

Finally good call on the hostname because I didn't have one and wanted to see if BSD gave my machine a default hostname, like Linux. Now my computer has a hostname, but still won't let me login to the KDE desktop.

Strange. Why not let pkg automatically choose the repository instead of choosing one of the quarterlys?

Also you can make SSHing into your VM easier by selecting "bridged adapter" in the Network tab. Your VM will then have its own ip assuming you are connected to a router that gives out addresses via DHCP.

On a default install of 10.2, with default settings it seems weird that you would be getting these issues.

The error "No address record" means your DNS resolving isn't working. Double check your /etc/resolv.conf.

Why not let pkg automatically choose the repository instead of choosing one of the quarterlys?
The default of 10.2 is to use the quarterly packages.
The default pkg(8) repository set in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf now defaults to the quarterly package set. To use the latest branch (as was the previous default), the comment at the top of /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf explains how to disable the default repository and specify an alternative repository. [r285830] (Sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation)
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/relnotes.html#releng-changes

Back