Forums Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HTML page titles

The problem with just a logo is that there are lots of sites that use it. I happen to have four open right now. I can't tell them apart except I use a certain order for my regulars so at least I know where this forum is. The others I'll have to click on to remember. The only other solution I've found to keep track of what's open is to use lots of windows. In fact, tabs are probably best for grouping themes, at least that's the only use I've found for them, especially since it's visually impractical to have more than a dozen open - as you point out. In Firefox, you can have 50 or more windows open. (Why close something if you plan to look at it again in the next week or two?) If you're wondering how I manage that, I use thumb and forefinger on my left (alt-tab), and mouse on the right. That way there's almost no movement. OK, so I'm crazy. :)

Re: HTML page titles

You're right. The title always includes "The FreeBSD Forum" along with the thread title. The FreeBSD part is unnecessary for individual threads/topics and should be removed. The logo does not matter because, if it was removed, browsers will just put a non-descript icon there.

Bug report:

I refreshed the page and the "recent posts" list went down to three. This happens all the time, and I think it is because "recent" has an incorrect definition somewhere. Nevertheless, since I was looking forward to reading some of the new posts which I had noted earlier, I went to the advanced search page. Unfortunately it would not accept [*] as a search term, despite that being suggested on the page.

It looks like both those functions are broken, and I will not be able to have my pleasant little read tonight.

Edit: Sorry, I should have said "View new posts". I couldn't see it from here. So "new" has a broken definition.

I must say thank you! Having " View new posts" fully functional is great. I won't have to search for [*] though it seems like that might work too.

I guess I spoke too soon. :) It only shows two new posts now.

The "view new posts" has been working for me since the beginning. It's "view active topics" that always shows me an empty list, regardless of setting "Display posts from previous". It works fine on other phpBB boards so it's most likely some configuration issue.

scottro said:
The view new posts function seems to work pretty well for me.
For me, it was not working for the longest time until it was changed right after I mentioned it above. It didn't work again for a day or so. I waited a few days to post this. And yes, you're right. It's all good now.

SirDice said:
The "view new posts" has been working for me since the beginning
I'm guessing that you saw it "working" because you are in a different time zone that had better synchronization with the earlier settings. It also "worked" for me during certain hours before, but around the changeover time I saw the list of new posts suddenly jump down to one or two, depending on when I happened to check.

I spoke too soon yet again. This is broken, and I base my opinion on the fact that it does not work. I'm not sure how to make it any more clear than that.

Right now the "view new posts" selection shows six posts covering a period of 52 minutes. That's less than an hour! One hour is not enough. Yesterday, it was covering a period stretching over two days. I'm not sure how many hours. For practical purposes this setting could be based on either time or number of posts. In this case it appears to be neither and just random. There must be some way of defining it in the forum software.

As I have mentioned several times before, it almost looks like it is made to reset at a certain time. If that is the case, I would like to point out that there is international readership of this forum and that day and night occur at different times around the world.

Check your User Control Panel. There are some settings that might affect that:
Code:
Display topics from previous days:
Display topics ordering by:
Display topic order direction:
Display posts ordering by:
Display post order direction:

wblock@ said:
Check your User Control Panel. There are some settings that might affect that:
Code:
Display topics from previous days:
Display topics ordering by:
Display topic order direction:
Display posts ordering by:
Display post order direction:

Excellent idea! I went there and changed "topics from" and "posts from". Both were originally set to "All" (which I thought might refer to its common English meaning), but changing it to "7days" did nothing. I then deleted my cookies and logged back in. The end result was that clicking on "new posts" returned no results. Just previous to that it had shown six posts covering one hour and 20 minutes.

Extra information: KDE on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE using a Firefox 25.0 browser.

Edit: A few hours later. After I log in there are no posts at all. The only thing I can see is the Board index, which is useless since I just want to see what's new. Apparently nothing. So, I logged out again. Still nothing new. Also, I put my preferences back from "7 days" to "All". No idea what it means, but it doesn't make any difference either way. In case anybody is wondering about my system or browser being at fault, I currently have tabs open with three of my other favourite forums and have no problem with them. As far as I can tell, either I have unrealistic expectations, or the forum is broken - possibly both.

I like phpBB because it's easy to customize. Adding a "Search" link to the specific .php file with the "View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics" links isn't hard. I'd be more than happy to help. However, my VPN IPs keep getting blocked by the site - I like using VPN most of the time.

Not a complaint because I don't know who does what with the FreeBSD sites - I know it's during their free time. Having managed phpBB sites I know how it works though.

Old threads forum formatting is broken for me. Example: this thread The only tag I can see working is CODE. Everything else is unformatted. But if I copy-paste those posts to my reply form and see preview everything is ok. Hope you'll fix this, cuz because it really makes topics unreadable.

We've already been over that (import from other forum before the necessary tags were created). Won't be fixed.

TimGS said:
Old threads forum formatting is broken for me. Example: this thread The only tag I can see working is CODE. Everything else is unformatted. But if I copy-paste those posts to my reply form and see preview everything is ok.

These require manual editing. The moderators fix them when seen, but many are not seen. If you find them, report them.

Soooo, not to be PIA, but the two functions below are really big issues for me. One could successfully argue as to "who gives a f*** what your issues are"; my feeling is however that the forums have suffered from the loss of these functions and that others may feel the same way.

1. The vBulletin page had <Thanks> buttons which spurred new comers to learn so that they could gain rank. People also like to receive feedback about whether they got something right or not. I think the <Thanks> system needs to be implemented at the soonest.

2. Pardon my ignorance: What's the latest on RSS feed from the forums?

Your call admins...

Would it be possible to have the delete your own posts function turned on? The old boards allowed you to delete your own posts and I personally would like to have that possibility sometimes, I tend to press the post button too soon only to realise that I have missed the point of the question completely :r

The 'Delete your own post' button has some merit, but I fail to see why anyone needs to have a 'Thankyou' button. Surely if you have been helped, you thank that person yourself. Do people really need to amount a 'score'! People can see by the way others answer a question if they are any good. I'm on here to both learn and help answer questions from my fellow users. I believe that is what a forum is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back