Forum Slow

Today the forum is *really* slow, and my sockstat reveals only automattic.com and alwaysdedicated IPs. Not the usual IP addresses IIRC. What connection does the forum have with automattic.com?

It's just FreeBSD, while the other sites are quick, so it's a ???

Slow here too but no problems with www.freebsd.org
automattic.com from Netcraft:
627631 www.mp3.com unknown July 1997 nginx Linux
- www.newscorp.com unknown March 1996 nginx Linux
- www.williams.com unknown September 2013 nginx Linux
927459 www.newyorktimes.com unknown August 2000 nginx Linux
30910 www.time.com unknown May 1996 nginx Linux
420494 www.heavy.com unknown July 1996 nginx Linux
5607 heavy.com unknown April 2000 nginx Linux
1361784 www.radio.com unknown June 1997 nginx Linux
1269 time.com unknown June 1997 nginx Linux
3154 bgr.com unknown December 2010 nginx Linux
32959 www.zap2it.com unknown January 2000 nginx Linux
155528 www.metro.co.uk unknown February 2000 nginx Linux
1395 nypost.com unknown March 2000 nginx Linux
15507 zap2it.com unknown August 2009 nginx Linux
2407 fortune.com unknown January 2010 nginx Linux
4007 variety.com unknown March 2000 nginx Linux
- www.benefits.com unknown April 1996 nginx Linux
381306 www.observer.com unknown October 1996 nginx Linux
- www.adclub.net unknown May 2012 nginx Linux
38973 www.twincities.com unknown March 1996 nginx Linux

Organization: unknown with its' fingers in most of the major media organizations.
About automattic.com > Most of the blogging sites.

I've been getting some really weird DNS related issues lately where queries sent to the root servers time out. The issues resolves after a while but I now switched to using Google's forwarders instead of true recursion. Maybe this is related.

All day here in Pacific zone as well. Perhaps it's on a Windows server doing updates or maybe it's just experiencing a DDoS attack - same thing really.

Restarting the web server or mysql might help. Network looks good...

Code:
PING forums.freebsd.org (204.109.59.195): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 204.109.59.195: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=39.462 ms
64 bytes from 204.109.59.195: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=39.533 ms
64 bytes from 204.109.59.195: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=39.703 ms
64 bytes from 204.109.59.195: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=39.673 ms

One thing is that it's been consistent all day, so yes, it doesn't look like network. Just about exactly 60 seconds to load a forum page. This has been going on (judging by the first post) for over 15 hours now. What puzzles me is that no admin has posted here to give us a hint as to what is really going on. Anybody have any idea what's up?

I can't connect to forum. I have 3 independent Internet connections, only works on UPC with lag. For me only solution is web proxy.

Abriel I have no idea why a web proxy would make a difference for you, but I don't think it's related. This really looks like a server problem.

Would you be more specific on what you've been doing to fix it? It would probably help many of us--at least me, and I'm fairly solipsistic. :)

The rest of the website works fine, it's just the forum. It could be a ddos or other type of attack, from the forum getting too much attention. Could it be a TLS or misconfiguration problem?

Ah, Ok, thanks for the clarification. As I consider you far more knowledgeable than I am, I figured it was something that I couldn't figure out. :)

From my end it really does look like a misconfiguration, though I suppose it could be failing hardware. For example when I click on this thread, I went to do some other work and came back a few minutes later when the server had finished doing its thing. All in all, it takes at least 5 minutes to make a post now. In any case if it was a network problem the delays would not be so consistent.

Does anybody know who administers the server? It would appear that they're not reading this forum or using any monitoring software so it would be really helpful to them if we gave them a heads up. I just don't see a link anywhere.

Well, it's the weekend. Judging by how quickly they edit things that annoy them, such as writing freebsd, I would guess that they'll get here fairly soon. (I'm testing if they have an alert set for that phrasing) :)

Seriously, the admins may know no more than we do, which may be why there's been no comment. Or, again, they may be busy, which is fine. They are all volunteers, and despite my complaining, having been involved in moderating a forum, I do appreciate their endeavors.

Well, it's the weekend. Judging by how quickly they edit things that annoy them, such as writing freebsd, I would guess that they'll get here fairly soon. (I'm testing if they have an alert set for that phrasing) :)

i freebsd to

Volunteer or not, someone has an interest in getting the forum running. Unless they want to abandon FreeBSD, which I know they won't. It seems like the moderators aren't involved in the server administration, or they would most likely have known to comment or fix it.

I wonder if it's a Power over Ethernet problem, or an improper IP cable. It happened to me, when nothing was wrong with my Internet service, but once I disconnected a far reaching IP cable from my switch, my Internet connection worked again.

There is a link at the bottom here to XenForo and they have a place for contact. I've sent the following message through there.

Hello,
I'm here because there is a link on the FreeBSD forum page which would suggest that you may be able to help. The forum at https://forums.freebsd.org is not responding properly. If this is something which concerns you then thank you for looking after if. If not, please disregard this message.

Thank you in advance,
Ole Juul

That's the software that's used, not necessarily the implementation of FreeBSD's server. I think it's like a promotional consideration, for using their software. However, it was a great idea to send a message.

I sent a message to "Contact Us".

Back