Forum for non-English speakers?

mjollnir

Daemon

Not all animal can be kept in cage. Some just die, for no apparent reason.
Well, for a very obvious reason... Remember this experiment, where a german king caged children in isolation, and noone was allowed to talk or touch them, to find out about the natural human language. They all died. Sadly (?), this pandemic throws us back to reflect on our basics.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

It's not a bad idea to have a meetup section or just one sticky thread in this forums.
IRC is a more appropriate medium, much better suited for interactive chats. That said, I'm fine with some general chit-chat in "offtopic". Just don't post anything political or religious as these subjects will inevitably turn sour.

PMc

Aspiring Daemon

Well, for a very obvious reason... Remember this experiment, where a german king caged children in isolation, and noone was allowed to talk or touch them, to find out about the natural human language. They all died.
Yeah I know - and it is just shocking what kind of madness can come out of (some) human's minds, to do such kind of "research".
I just noticed this on my own. I for my part can very well sit in my room and pursue some thing, for a couple of weeks (I can also very well hang out at Wacken or such and enjoy being among people - it's not that I'm afraid of people) - but then when I do that I will notice that I am somehow "running dry" on something - and this is not much different feeling than runnng out of water, our out of vitamin-c, or similar.

Sadly (?), this pandemic throws us back to reflect on our basics.
I doubt anybody would dare to reflect. Remember, even before that pandemic was widely known, it was already publicly declared that any reflection on the matter would be considered a conspiracy theory. So don't do this.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I spent so many hours on IRC back in the day. Haven't been there for a long time though, but I'll be hanging around on #FreeBSD on EFnet if you need to talk. IRC is old-school, applications like Slack, Hip-chat and Discord are basically modern equivalents with a lot more features.

Popular IRC clients are irc/irssi, irc/bitchx and irc/hexchat (replacement for irc/xchat).

20-100-2fe

There was a psychologist who stated that people would actually need caressing otherwise they get ill.
What most people forget - or just don't want to hear about - is that we are great apes. And great apes are social animals, they can't live alone, relationships are what makes they lives worth living.

Probably technical support is one of these things were forums do continue to exist
Definitely, because forum pages get indexed in Google and you can quickly and easily find solutions to your problems thanks to this.

have people just stopped thinking, all together, all over the planet?
Yes, they have. Our current way of life could not be further from what biology and evolution have shaped us for. It is definitely not sustainable, and even if it were, the change has been way too sudden for us to adapt.
99% of Earthlings simply don't have the emotional maturity, the capacity of reflection and/or enough background to support any reflection. The only way for them to survive is to definitively lock themselves up in a Land of Dreams - drugs, new age, veganism, video games, TV series, etc.

That's fine for them, but the remaining 1% feels terribly lonely.

wolffnx

the thing about the pandemia is that some people dont respect the protocol and came out to parks(with childrens) or another public places,
tired of been locked in their house.
For me is a shame tell you this but in my country is like that...(not in my case)
the president make crazy things like "flexible quarantine days or weeks"
and the people thing that the virus is like a cold..I see it every day
is 50% and 50% dont take awareness
😞

in the other hand are people that are losing their jobs because this,
but for the other hand also are people who dont respect the quarantine,at all

vigole

I'll be hanging around on #FreeBSD on EFnet
I often (or rarely!) use #FreeBSD, ##C ##asm on Freenode. I'll have to check EFnet again. I've installed irc/irssi on my personal computer. that's my favourite. Unfortunately on this laptop, which I have no control over it (only update OS, Firefox and Thunderbird), I have to use Thunderbird.
[...] RC is old-school, applications like Slack, Hip-chat and Discord are basically modern equivalents with a lot more features.
These slack/teams/... things are dangerous entities. They destroy every aspect of a one man personal/private life. These are 24/7 engagement [*] tools. Stay out of these.
[*] engagement: this is one of those words. It literally sound off-key to my ear

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I often (or rarely!) use #FreeBSD, ##C ##asm on Freenode.
I don't think I've ever been on Freenode. Back in the day I usually hung out on Undernet or Dalnet.

These slack/teams/... things are dangerous entities. They destroy every aspect of a one man personal/private life. These are 24/7 engagement [*] tools. Stay out of these.
[*] engagement: this is one of those words. It literally sound off-key to my ear
Many years ago I worked for an ISP, the admins had various scripts reporting on issues and status updates through IRC (hidden channels with passwords). Discord, Slack, etc. aren't any different in this respect. It's left up to you to actually logon, or not.

mjollnir

Daemon

[...] 99% of Earthlings simply don't have the emotional maturity, the capacity of reflection and/or enough background to support any reflection. The only way for them to survive is to definitively lock themselves up in a Land of Dreams - drugs, new age, veganism, video games, TV series, etc. That's fine for them, but the remaining 1% feels terribly lonely.
These numbers are exaggerated. Except for indigenous people living their very traditional lifestyle, IMHO it's more towards 50/50%. And the 1st group suffers from (a certain kind of) lonelyness, too.

20-100-2fe

These numbers are exaggerated.
Yes, probably, I've not carried on a thorough study.

However, my 99% include all those people who don't adhere to new age movements (for instance) but whose fears prevent from reasoning despite their intellectual abilities.
You speak with them and at some point, conversation switches to a different topic that is just interesting to you but panicking to them and you see their expression and attitude completely change, instantly. When this happens, it's no use bringing solid arguments, they are unable to even hear them. And you can just helplessly watch them turning around angrily in their own blatant lies until they can calm down.

You can't imagine how I wish it were less than 99%!

vigole

Alright, check it out: Colin Wilson, The Mind Parasites, 1967
Thanks for book suggestion. I'm going to read this one. Now I have go out, find a real book store and borrow/buy a used paperback copy of this book. I think I'm going to break all sort of protocols.

PMc

Aspiring Daemon

the thing about the pandemia is that some people dont respect the protocol and came out to parks(with childrens) or another public places,
tired of been locked in their house.
That is indeed difficult. How can we teach people that their owners only need them to work and consume, and they can do that as well while being cage-kept?

It's the same with my mom - she loved to cook and bake and then arrange for diners inviting aquanintances. Now neighbours carefully observe that she does only sit apathetic in her room because she is not allowed to do anything else. Now how to explain to her that it is important for her to live and sit in her cage, and, most important, to consume lots of medicine, because our healthcare industry depends on these profits?