Fixing Vulnerabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest everyone in here stops calling anyone else anything. We have forum rules dealing with that type of belligerent and combative behavior, and we will enforce them. If this resumes, the topic will be closed and infractions will be handed out. Period.

jb_fvwm2 said:
This thread is why I wish the /var/db/pkg/portname-# >> pkg conversion had a problem > solution flowchart... ( for instance often in perl upgrades (I run perl5-14 but packages I expect now use perl5-16 ...) ) in the sense that packages may contain often dependencies that locally have not been updated to the default version, etc... I don't believe that the new packages system has too many bugs, per se, just that it has enough missing features that it should have been delayed as the default.

I feel very much the same way. To be fair, it's not the default on 9.2, but given pkg_add is set to be redundant in ~6 months, I figured it is only right to run with pkg from the beginning of every new install.

I can grep /var/db/pkg files in a pipe to reinstall ports which have been installed via package when they should have been installed via ports... fiddle with the directories in /var/db/pkg (temporarily rename to allow duplicate installs of conflicting ports which for some reason may both need to be installed, etc... ) and countless other fixes/workarounds which with more effort, one would just choose to not install, instead.
Howsoever, I could write on and on... but have been outvoted. Meanwhile, pkg has not been building here for months, with a sqlite3.so error.
My point is not to disparage /pkg/ but am posting in the hopes that one or two or more persons reading the post will concur that the package system would be served by such a flowchart, constantly revised... making it more user-friendly even to those not yet using FreeBSD but who may be swayed by simply reading the flowchart should it ever appear. [Not to discourage a multipage EXAMPLES section that would contain all the fixes/workarounds in a more verbose manner than is common except in exceptionally informative manpages, a few of which exist already. And common problems could be fixed by code to make the EXAMPLES list or flowchart size less sizable, a problem repository immediately available to all without further search, so to speak.
[edit...]
In the freebsd-questions list this week, (Vol 494 # 1 of the digest form...) there is a long thread about "How to install two freebsd9.2 on one disk?" which has many command-line examples, several scenarios, the bootloader, GPT vs MBR... re the FLOWCHART method of user help, if all the information in that thread (for example ) were combined with the short EXAMPLES in man gpart and summarized (I know, a wiki, but many do not look there "first", as a matter of recourse...) it could be helpful in a similar manner to the topic of this thread, maybe having first recourse to a flowchart or very verbose EXAMPLES section.

I also agree. FreeBSD has exceptional documentation, but there's always room for something extra. I really would like to see it appeal to new users too, and I think this would help. Thanks for your post.

DutchDaemon said:
I suggest everyone in here stops calling anyone else anything. We have forum rules dealing with that type of belligerent and combative behavior, and we will enforce them. If this resumes, the topic will be closed and infractions will be handed out. Period.

I had no intent to be combative at all; just pull someone up as, I believe, anyone would. I don't mean to commit any infractions, however.

markbsd said:
I had no intent to be combative at all; just pull someone up as, I believe, anyone would. I don't mean to commit any infractions, however.
Not, anyone wouldn’t do it, since in my honest opinion there was no reason to do so, and so violently, but I am maybe wrong and will try from now on to be less humorous, more factual or simply shut up instead of putting mirrors in front of people, something that I understand now is useless and bound to create conflicts. Lesson learnt!

So please, moderators, accept this as a “right of reply” last message, noting that I haven’t insulted anybody, neither made false assumptions or mixed up posters when replying, so I hope to not be handled an infraction.

You made a deliberate smart ass remark. Which can earn some laughs when they're actually accurate and funny. But yours was, firstly, wrong, and, secondly, stupid. So all it did was make you come off like an asshat being rude. Not humorous, and not "putting mirrors in front of people", but, yes, you were being presumptuous and condescending. Just ignorant douchebag behaviour, with no intention to be anything else but that, and for no reason at all.

[ User infracted for rule violations // topic closed -- Mod. ]

Let this serve as a reminder to anyone posting on these forums: you can walk away from a topic if you don't like it, and you can stop responding to people that rub you the wrong way. We will never allow threads to devolve into name-calling or other personal attacks, nor will we allow the (continued) expression of personal opinions/experiences in an overly dramatic or exasperated way. It serves no communal purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back